Blow on this!

User Name

Have you ever seen those people that walk around on hot days outside (usually at carnivals or something) with little tiny personal 3 inch fans powered by a D-cell battery? Where can I find a similar AC powered fan to run across the top of my amp to keep it cooler? I didn't see any at Radio Shack or any on ebay.

Anyone have links or stores if you know what I'm talking about?

Cheers.

• Like 1

I'm sorry that's what I meant to say. DC.

Like a regular fan you plug in the wall. The smallest ones at wal-Mart or K-mart are like 8 inches. I need something like half that. Preferably a clip on so I can clip it to the leg on my entertainment rack.

• Like 1

Not sure what your electronics skills are but have you considered getting a PC fan? They are small, but you would have to figure out a way to hook it up to electricity. I bet you can find what you need at ratshack.

RadioShack has one or two fans that run on 120VAC. They are fairly large, maybe 4". They also have some that run on 12VDC... use a small transformer that they sell (a 12.6VCT one), rectify with a bridge and regulate the positive rail with a +12V regulator, use the - on the bridge as the negative for fan, and bam, you are done. (note regulator may get warm)

Be sure to look at CFM when choosing a fan... more is always better for those hot amps.

Most 3-4 inch pc fans only draw about .1 to .2 amps 100 - 200 ma). Almost any 12 volt DC wallwart power supply will handle this with ease. Running in open air it will make very little noise. If you have an old PC fan or PC power supply, you can get the fan. Don't go and buy one, just ask people you know if they have one you can have. I just got four that had almost no use off of some Digital Equipment workstations we were throwing out. The DEC stuff was also built like a tank, and the fans are EBM-Papst, very high quality.

Marvel

Papst fans are of great quality,run silent and are good for years of non stop use.Also good quality inexpensive fans are made by Sunon.Delta fans are mostly for applications where high CFM is required(problem being noise).

Panasonic's Panaflo fans are good Papst alternatives,quiet and durable.I would include Sanyo fans in here too,durable and quiet(unless you decide to get the 80mm 55CFM fan)

For an amp I would not use anything too loud,any 80mm Papst,Sanyo or Panaflo low noise will do.

60mm fans often need to be the high RPM high noise type to move plenty of air.80mm shoule be ideal for most amp cooling applications.

I bought five 3.5 inch AC fans for about $8.50 each (plus shipping) from Parts Express (partsexpress.com). The fans keep my gear, which is in a closet open only to the front, running at room temperature. The fan on my 2nd zone Yamaha amp reduced the temp from 110 to 80 degrees in less than 5 minutes. The noise from all fans running at once is minimal, and can't be heard at normal listening levels. The 3.5 inch Radio Shack AC fan is, as far as I can tell, identical to what I bought (except the PE fan has a blue center instead of black, and the RS fan costs $20). For my fans, I bought a clear plastic box from a hobby shop, then, inside the box, used terminal blocks (?) to wire each fan to a lighted rocker switch and to a single AC power cord. I velcro-ed the box to the bottom of a shelf, and it looks pretty good with 5 switches lit. Nice breeze out front too!