Matching Receiver

Any of these have my vote for an inexpensive HT reciever.

You can probably get better prices on the web. You are doing the right thing putting the speakers first.

Yamaha 450-Watt 6.1-Channel Dolby Digital EX/DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 Home Theater Receiver

Model: HTR-5640 $299 at Best Buy

Yamaha 480-Watt 6.1-Channel Dolby Digital EX/DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 Home Theater Receiver

Model: HTR-5650 $399 at Best Buy

Yamaha 510-Watt 6.1-Channel Dolby Digital EX/DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 Home Theater Receiver

Model: HTR-5660 $499 at Best Buy

Rick

Outlaw 1050 - Perfect Vision (July-August 2003) Editor's Best Buy Also on last year's Stereophile GTHT editor's choice recomended components list .... Black Box, limited features, top notch sound quality. $499. or less from Outlawaudio.com

----------------

On 7/22/2003 5:40:26 PM 3dzapper wrote:

Any of these have my vote for an inexpensive HT reciever.

You can probably get better prices on the web. You are doing the right thing putting the speakers first.

Yamaha 450-Watt 6.1-Channel Dolby Digital EX/DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 Home Theater Receiver

Model: HTR-5640 $299 at Best Buy

Yamaha 480-Watt 6.1-Channel Dolby Digital EX/DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 Home Theater Receiver

Model: HTR-5650 $399 at Best Buy

Yamaha 510-Watt 6.1-Channel Dolby Digital EX/DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 Home Theater Receiver

Model: HTR-5660 $499 at Best Buy

Rick

----------------

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the choices you gave. I really appreciate what you did by including even the prices.

Thanks a lot, man.

Daniel

Also, what you buy depends on its use. I've spoken to a lot of people about this issue. Apparently, most of the decent HT digital receivers will do HT very well. 2-channel music is a different story. My Sony DA5ES is great for HT and DVD music, really great IMO. For 2-channel, it blows, again IMO but I'm used to much better. Doesn't matter to me because I don't use it for 2-channel and never will. I've heard the Denon does 2-channel very well. Can't speak for the others but it's worth investigating if that's an issue.

I'm not too fond of my Denon's 2-channel playback. It's detailed enough, but it lacks low end, hence the reason for my H/K stereos for amplification. I haven't heard our Outlaw on Klipsch yet, but it sounds great on our Paradigm setup.

I noticed that one of the folks that responded to your post has a Sony ES receiver, Sony STR-DA5ES. I've got that unit and it is great - the ES line comes with a 5-yr. warranty. Best part is that I got if from an authorized dealer for 50% off retail ($750 vs. $1,500). Six channel @ 120W per channel

Call soundcity.com and ask for Joe Sanginary at x708. You'll get a better price by calling. If $750 is too much, ask what Joe can get you that he recommends. You'll not be disappointed.10.gif

Hi John P.,

I appreciate your comment about the Sony STR-DA5ES.

I will check it out on soundcity.

Thanks a lot.

Daniel

----------------

On 7/25/2003 4:21:33 PM John Pittman wrote:

I noticed that one of the folks that responded to your post has a Sony ES receiver, Sony STR-DA5ES. I've got that unit and it is great - the ES line comes with a 5-yr. warranty. Best part is that I got if from an authorized dealer for 50% off retail ($750 vs. $1,500). Six channel @ 120W per channel

Call soundcity.com and ask for Joe Sanginary at x708. You'll get a better price by calling. If $750 is too much, ask what Joe can get you that he recommends. You'll not be disappointed.10.gif

----------------

One more vote for Sony STR-DA5ES, it is really good for HT, as well as multi channel music, and you can't beat the price since it is a last year model. Also it has two multi-channel inputs, one is 7.1, the other 5.1 and I am using both for DVD-A and SACD. The remote is also great, 2-way learning remote with built in IR codes for almost all brands and components. However, I am not that happy with its 2 channel music reproduction, but it is a star in HT.

Just more clarification on the Sony ES and Soundcity. You won't find this and their other high-end products displayed on their website - you have to call and ask what's available. Also got a $700 400-disc Sony ES CD changer for about 40% off (same 5-yr warranty) and other high-end components. Call Joe Sanginari at x708 and let him know a repeat customer in Texas said you'd get a screamin' deal! Ask him to verbally give you a price on ANY product you desire; I'll bet they will beat your best price and it will be factory authorized, new and warrantable. Happy hunting!