Tempest subwoofer done!! INSANE!!

fire pinch

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell YEAH!!!! 3.gif I want to say THANK you all for beeing so active in my tread! You are so great people to talk with! 9.gif This gonna be maybe the biggest subwoofer tread in the Klipsch forum!!!!! 6.gif14.gif When my Tumult sub will be finished and that Im gonna do a tread about it (review), I hope to get as much posts and maybe another record LOL! 2.gif

Swerv,

Im in a hurry to see that review like all people who really want to know how good is the new Klipsch PM Ultras compared to the 5.1! 1.gif Keep us posted 2.gif

My last year of highschool I built a box around 4 ft^3 ( I think, I don't remember exactly) and put a JL 15w3 dual 4 car sub in it. It was rated for 400 continuous and I was sending about 300 or a little more to it. It was so LOUD and CLEAN I couldn't believe it. Compared to other home subs I had heard at the time it blew them away.

One of my current roomates bought the tempest sub and built a huge box for it and is powering it with a Carver 350x2 bridged. He bought the tempest b/c it has similar specs as my JL.

we put them side by side...his having the 700+ watts available, and mine the 300 or so. the JL was MUCH louder and cleaner. since then the sub has ended up in my car where it belongs replaced by rf-5's and now rf-7's.

I would like to see somebody with money to blow build one w/a JL 13w7.

I'm not sure where you would get the kind of inhome power it would take to max one out, but its supposed to have excelent sql and amazing spl. for those who don't know about it :

1000watts optimum continuous power handling

dual 1.5ohm coils

1.25" one way linear x-max

107.35 in^2 surface area. (so you can compare it to the size of a 15)

I believe its something like 2 of the 15's I had, so it would be close to 2, or more of the Tempests.

Also, for you DIY's, the same roomate just built the adire home floorstanding speaker kit.

DON'T do it. He is an excellent craftsman, and they look awsome (except for the ugly drivers) but sound like beep.

"1000watts optimum continuous power handling

dual 1.5ohm coils

1.25" one way linear x-max

107.35 in^2 surface area. (so you can compare it to the size of a 15)"

Actually, those numbers doesn't mean anything. The important ones to design a good sub are the T/S parameters.

My guess is that your sub was "kicking" more at 40Hz-50Hz, but I seriously doubt that driver is better than a Tempest to go low with quality. Most car subs are designed to be in a trunk, not in a box for home use. They are optimized to "kick" at relatively high frequencies because the small space (in the car) will help them to go to the lower octave, on a house, they usually don't go low.

Just for starting, an Adire Tumult sub would outdo the JL 13W7 in home, air displacment wize in case you dont know this. The Tumult is capable of linearly 5.1 liters of air (15" with 34mm of one way LINEAR excursion). Also the Tumult has the XBL2 motor technology, which give it a clear advantage in clean and loud SPL. The Tumult, at 2mm or 20mm will still sound the same. At 28mm of Xmax one way, it will have only 3% of distortion, so not even audible! And some of us, home subwoofer lovers, prefere earth shaking bass from a subwoofer than mid-bass. After all, a TRUE subwoofer should only help your other piece of audio gear where they are less capable and to go down to a solid 20 Hz, and not a 20 Hz at -5dB. That is, a true subwoofer for me. The W7 would be insane in car, but in home, why not looking at a Tumult which would perform more, and cost less! 1.gif (correct me if Im wrong about this for the price)

And now, the JL you compared to the Tempest. Well... can you tell us more about the box dimensions, their tuning points (if they are ported) or their Qtc (if sealed)? Was the JL able to be louder @16,20,25 Hz than the Tempest? What is MORE loud clean bass to you... more mid-bass? More punch? The Tempest, let me tell you, can have a LOT of punch if wanted. Lets make a tuned box where there is a bump of 2 or 3 dB around 30 and 50 Hz for the Tempest and lets see after if it can impress you with punchy bass! Often, when we compare 2 differents subwoofers, its all about their designs. Also, just wondering... what is the total cost of the Tempest sub and the JL audio sub (the one you compared against the Tempest)? If your friend made a HUGE Tempest box, chances are good that he chose the EBS alignment, which is not impressive in the punch department...

*Edit*: I just modeled some JL15W3 and they seem to have a little advantage over the Tempest. Just the woofer itself can displace a bit more air than the Tempest (2.81 L vs 2.55 L)and I got surprised by its Fs which is about 21.8 Hz for a car woofer. Hmm, can be a great woofer for home use, but how much does it cost? 9.gif Two times the price of a Tempest? 1.gif STILL, that JL woofer shouldnt be THAT more powerfull than the Tempest, shouldnt even be very noticable. However, it depends of what type of alignments, what type of enclosure you choose for each other...

Manuel,

"They are optimized to "kick" at relatively high frequencies because the small space (in the car) will help them to go to the lower octave, on a house, they usually don't go low."

I completely agree, most of the time, this is really true! 1.gif