KG5.2 and Yamaha RX-V1

pjordan

Hello all,

I'm in the process of upgrading a pro-logic based system. I'm almost certain that I'm going to purchase the Yamaha RX-V1 receiver to power the system. This receiver (in case you didn't know) provides for a "matrixed" center rear channel and two 35w front effects speakers in addition to a regular 5.1 setup.

I currently have a set of KG5.2's that I would like to use for the front mains. I need to find out which current Klipsch products would go best with the 5.2's. I'm using a Polk center channel speaker that I hope to upgrade in the not too distant future, but at this point I'm most interested in obtaining speakers for the three rear channels and the two front effects channels. I have a set of Klipsch IW-200 inwalls that are in very good shape. I was considering using them as part of the system, but after looking into it, I'm not so sure that would be a good idea. The primary purpose of this rig is HT, though there will be some musical use as well. If the IW-200's are not suitable for use in the HT, I can just place them in the house distribution system somewhere.

The room in which I will be placing this setup is 16.5 feet long by 14 wide. The video display is a 45" pioneer rear-projection unit. In order to get the couch a reasonable distance from the TV, I have had to place it against the back wall. I need to know, in addition to which set of surround speakers will best match the 5.2's, where I need to place them: on the back wall firing forward, or on the side walls firing across the couch.

As for the front effect speakers, what do you think would be a good option? They are relatively low power, 35 watts/channel. The rest of the receiver is 110w/ch.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Phil

On the old website there was a speaker matching chart that listed the older models. I took a quick look but couldn't find it on the updated site. You might try to find it. For my set up, which has Kg-4's it said that the current match for the center channel is the SC-1 and the SS-1's for the rear. If I remember correctly the Kg-5.2's were the same but I'm not positive.

Matching center: KG 2.2V or KG 1.2V

Matching surrounds/front effecht: Bookshelfs--KG 2.2 or KG 1.2

Matching Subwoofer: KG SW

Check Ebay for used, others on the bb may have them also. Let em know & they'll let you know.

Also, have to agree that Synergy's will probably be the best match for new speaks.

I have KG 5.5 (nearly the same as your 5.2), and a set of KG1s for the rear. I think KG1s, 1.2, and 1.5 are all about the same. I really can't say enough about how well they match with the fronts. You really can't go wrong. Great speakers. They're pretty big and heavy for wall mounting, though (nearly cube shaped). Could look a bit silly. They look great on my sanus speaker stands.

Be aware...if your 5.2s or oiled oak, that they are very different from the medium oak color of the latter KG x.5 series. Stick with x.0 or x.2 for proper finish matching, if that's important. If black..it doesn't really matter.

If you can get one (or 2, and you could use the second as rear center), get a KG2.5 or KG2.2 for your center. Don't waste time with the KV series (unless space is an issue) The models with the "v" at the end are already shielded, but you could get the cups and magnets still from Klipsch to convert your own.

T-man

This message has been edited by t-man on 05-18-2001 at 08:59 AM

• 4 weeks later...

I have a set of KG5.5 as well as a set of KLF30's. The KG's sound very similar to the KLF's, so much in fact that I am hard pressed to tell the difference when A/B'ing them. That being said, I just picked up a KLFC7 on UBid last night for a mere $249. I think the C7 would be a great match for your KG's and at $249, you just can't beat that price. I will use it as my rear channel when I pick-up a new receiver in a couple of months. Right now I have a Yammie 2095, but that will be changing soon.

Montey,

Keep your eye on Ebay. I found my 2.2v there with along with a pair of 5.2's and 1.2's for sale. I just ended up going with the 2.2v.

Earle

------------------

Reciever: Denon AVR3200

Speakers: Klipsch KG4.2's/KG2.2v/KSB 3.1's/SVS 20-39's

Amps: B&K Ref 4022(mains)/Fidek 600 watt(subs)

DVD: Toshiba 3109

Laser Disc: Pioneer CLD-1090

TV: Sony 32" monitor

2 pair of Aura Bass Shakers

Millennium 2.4.6 DTS Decoder