Which SVS?

JamesDL

This past weekend I bought a pair of RB-75's and an HK AVR525 Receiver. So far I love this system, but I want to add an SVS sub and don't know whether to get the 25-31 PC+ or 20-39 PC+. I've heard that the smaller SVS is punchier than the larger one - will this make it better for music? I am using my system for mostly music. However, I also want to watch movies on it, and I am wondering whether by going with the smaller sub I will miss a lot on big bass dvd's like LOTR?

Thanks in advance for your help in making my decision.

James

I don't own one, but I lust after an SVS. The SVS web page contains considerable good information to guide the choice of a sub. The 25-31 won't go quite as low as the 20-39, but SVS offers a no-charge mod of the 25-31 that will take it to nearly 20hz. That is an advantage for movies without much sacrifice for music. Given the size difference (have you measured these beasts?), a 25 with the mod might be a better bet. I'm no expert, but I think putting 2 subs in the same corner gets you close to 16hz.

Great question, personally I face the same questions when I was in the process of choosing the SVS. I opted to spend the extra $50 and go for the middle child. I looked at it this way, Choosing the 2531 it could easily tuned to 22.5 - 20 Hz but on the other hand with the 2039 the it could be tuned to 16hz with ease.

Tuning the 2039 to 16hz there was minimal over head loss. If you have the extra cash go for the more flexible 2039

Scott

One of the main selling features of SVS subwoofers is the personal help that they offer PROSPECTIVE customers. I opted for the 25-31 PC+ since I have a problematic high volume room. I am super-pleased, so much that I havent tried using the "tuning plugs". So what If I miss the last db of depth charges sounding?

James,

I just ordered a 20-39PC+ SVS today. I too struggled with which one to buy. So I sent a rough room sketch with all dimensions to the tech dept at SVS and told them that I wanted mainly HT performance with loads of bass. I was first shocked they didn't try to sell me the most $$ sub, instead they gave me some great feedback on which sub and why it was a good fit for my room.

On the side, I can't wait to get a sub in here that will keep up with these Klipsch Ref 3 II's (for under a 1000 bucks!)

It is worth the effort to sketch out your room on a simple drawing program and shoot it to the guys at SVS. They are great to work with and fast in their response.

RF3 II

RC3 II

RS3 II

soon a 20-39PC+

Hm... maybe I should wait till I see my new apartment before I choose one. I've already committed to a place, without seeing, I've heard from some friends in the house we're renting that my room is big, around 20x20 or bigger, with no weird inlets or doorways, so based on what I've heard, certainly small enough for a single SVS of either size to handle easily.

I'll give them a call sometime this week... sounds like this will be a tough decision but also one where I can't go too wrong 1.gif

If it's true that the smaller sub is going to be quicker and punchier I will probably go with that one and have it tuned to 20hz. I have the RB-75s and my first priority for the sub is quality of bass, to match the quality of the mids and highs coming from them. Also, based on the review of the 25-31 at HomeTheaterSound.com it sounds like it will handle movies very nicely. The extra $50 is a non issue for me, but I can't afford the Ultra even if that would be much better than either of the +'s.

James

James,

The difference between them is minimal, you're talking shades of gray. IMO, I think the lower tuned subs sound better for music. I do agree that something like the 25-31 might have a tiny bit more punch, but the the subwoofer with the lower tune will have group delay numbers that are lower in the audible freq range(where it matter most). This is a big factor in perceived "musicality" of a sub(besides the room's effects of course).

6.gif6.gif6.gif6.gif6.gif6.gif6.gif

UNBELIEVABLE

I have been slaughtering and butchering my Klipsch's with a cheap sub.

I just hooked up my SVS 20-39 PC Plus...no set up or config

6.gif6.gif Words can't describe it, in a 2000 cu ft room, with 2 large openings, just one SVS fills the room with bass that one minute shakes the filaments in my lightbulbs and drops my jaw, then bass that is in my pants, shirt, chest, but not in my ears. It is just amazing what that sub brings to my HT table. I could go on and on, but will just say that a couple of hours ago I didn't even imagine sound like this existed...much like when I brought home my Klipsh's. That feeling of amazement and wonder that runs chill bumps all over you, knowing you have entered a different realm of sound reproduction.

I have found that feeling again with my SVS, it is just shame on me for letting my old subs mingle with my Klipsch's. 15.gif

Thank you Klipsch for my son Reference

Thank you SVS for my chubby son PC Plus who is out of control

My Family is complete3.gif

RF3 II

RC3 II

RS3 II

SVS 20-39PC Plus

Denon AVR 2803

----------------

On 8/8/2003 5:07:51 PM kenratboy wrote:

God, I'm really thinking about getting a SVS.

I could probably unload my JBL for $500 and get a SVS. I have a 30 Hz. hi-pass on the sub, so I am missing the 15-30 Hz. range.

----------------

I'm just guessing, but don't won't those JBL's have higher overall output than the SVS CS/Pci?

You'll gain extension into the 1st octave but it might not be able to go as loud.

If you can squeeze the extra few bucks, go for the PB2+! At $1,200 there is absolutly NOTHING out there that can touch it. Not even close. Punch, Kick, Slam whatever you want, it has it! I really have to get a test tone disk to give you guys some hard numbers. Music or HT, I don't care this one can do it all.

Frankie,

I have one of the JBL boxes too and during a bout of acute "upgrade-itis" I contacted SVS about potential upgrades. Tom was honest enough to say upfront that he could offer nothing that would compete with the output of the JBL box. Of course he went on to say that down low the JBL would get spanked but you are correct about overall output.

Dan

What size room do you have? The SVS people can help you with picking one, but I think they go a little overkill. They got j-malotky to buy two SVS Ultra + :)

I have the 20-39 and I'll tell you it is way over the top for my room, 15' x 25' or so. It would shake my house down if I let it.

Glad to see more people discover what a real subwoofer can do. 1.gif

Cheapie and weak subs boom and cannot shake the foundations,real subs take music one step lower in a good way.

Since I have an army of great subs all my speakers run configured to SMALL and subs take care of the deep bass.

Next stop SVS PB2-Ultra and SVS SS,the woofers used in these products are simply amazing.When TV and the SVS gang decide to make a B4-Ultra I may get it too.

All great systems begin with a great foundation,and even true full range speakers like the Wilson X-1 welcome a great subwoofer.

Good to see another happy Klipscher using SVS

----------------

On 8/16/2003 5:37:27 PM TheEAR wrote:

When TV and the SVS gang decide to make a B4-Ultra I may get it too.

----------------

Have you ever asked TV if he can do this on a one time basis for you? They are a very accomodating company. If you get a monster like this, then you can just throw your Sunfires in the garbage3.gif.