I just bought another SPU!! Somebody HELP me . . . .

Allan Songer

I had to give this one a shot--it's an early Stereo with a CONICAL stylus, a varient I have not yet enjoyed! Plus, the seller knows what he's talking about via emails and the price is fair.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3040891659&category=3283&rd=1

I am listing my once-beloved Decca London Gold on ebay tomorrow to offset the cash outlay. If there is anyone out there who wants an old Decca, let me know. I hope to get $200 or maybe a little more via ebay . . .

The Ortofon SPU is the most musical, lush and INVOLVING phono cartridge I have ever owned. They are PERFECT with tubes and horns! I have seven of them now (three need rebuilds), including one for 78 rpm records! The SPU GT and GTE (eliptical stylus) have step-up transformers in the headshell, so there's no need for an external step up for these low-output MC cartridges. You do need a massive tonearm--the SME 3012 works GREAT, but the Fidelity Research FR64 or the 12" Ortofon arms work well too.

The SPU is back in production but from what I've been told the new ones sound very "hi-fi" compared with the older models. I'd like to buy a new one and see, but they're about $600.

Allan,

Would a SPU work well with my Champion/Rega 250 combo? I'm pretty happy with the Benz Micro Ace on it now. At the same time, your recs have always been spot on. BTW, we're going to see Kristin Korb at Sangria in Hermosa Beach next Wednesday @ 7:30 (no cover, no minimum). I know she's a bit younger (like 40-50 years younger) than most of the artists you like, but she plays great bass and is an above average singer.

Chris

I've got the DECCA on ebay right now. Unless you LOVE to fiddle with cartridges, I don't reccomend it. But if you LOVE to fiddle, then you can really end up with some pretty spectacular results. I tried to give it a pre-sale listen and ended up not wanting to go through the hassle of changing arms, etc so I am selling "as is." The stylus is excellent, and the suspension looks good.

Chris-

The SPU will not work very well with a Rega 250--I wouldn't even know how to mount it! "Nude" I guess, but it would take some eningeering. You really have to use an old SME, Ortofon or FR. It's a unique sound. If you want to come over to Long Beach some time and have a listen, you're more than welcome!

Even I know about this cartridge -- that's an awesome score.

It's unique all right -- it can throw an image at you that sounds like it's originating from BEHIND the speakers. The sound just jumps forward and envelops you with goodness -- and that, with a set of Powered Advents.

Since were on the subject. I have a question that I'm sure can be answered in this thread.

I replaced my Ortofon super 30 MM with the Ortofon X-5MC. No instructions came with the cart, not even tracking force.

Needless to say I found the info on there site. One bit of info I could not find was, were to position the cart on the head shell. I did alot of moveing and listening. I believe I found the best spot for a well balanced sound. It just puzzles me that there isn't a more technical way to set it. Or maybe I'm missing something.

Tom

Tom

The position of the cartridge is not determined by the cartridge its determined by the arm and table its mounted on. Basically my understanding is that if setting the cartridge up with a 2 position protractor and your able to get the angles perfect then the cartridge is in the right position front to back. If you can not achieve perfect alignment at both points then the cartridge needs to be adjusted either to the front or back.

Craig