How i personally think about Bose!

Jim Cornell

ThEeAr

I'm not defending bose, I just don't see the point. If someone was to give some informative comparrisons, that would be understandable, but to just open up a new thread to simply bash on bose...

Think about it, I doubt that Klipsch would want people going off to other forums and dogging them. Bose is just another company who is try to make and sell product to the people. Do they meet the standards of your basic audiophile and above? No, but there are those out there that do think they are a good sounding setup. I have heard them and for what they are I think they sound very good. I would not buy any but they do sound good.

Eh anyway... off my soapbox. 4.gif

----------------

On 8/23/2003 10:45:35 AM m00n wrote:

ThEeAr

I'm not defending bose, I just don't see the point. If someone was to give some informative comparrisons, that would be understandable, but to just open up a new thread to simply bash on bose...

Think about it,
I doubt that Klipsch would want people going off to other forums and dogging them
. Bose is just another company who is try to make and sell product to the people. Do they meet the standards of your basic audiophile and above? No, but there are those out there that do think they are a good sounding setup. I have heard them and for what they are I think they sound very good. I would not buy any but they do sound good.

Eh anyway... off my soapbox.
4.gif
----------------

Bose is evil 11.gif and Klipsch is not 9.gif

----------------

On 8/23/2003 10:45:35 AM m00n wrote:

ThEeAr

Think about it, I doubt that Klipsch would want people going off to other forums and dogging them. Bose is just another company who is try to make and sell product to the people. Do they meet the standards of your basic audiophile and above? No, but there are those out there that do think they are a good sounding setup. I have heard them and
for what they are
I think they sound very good. I would not buy any but they do sound good.

Eh anyway... off my soapbox.
4.gif

----------------

it would be a much different story if they werent pushing thier products off at MASSIVLY inflated costs for what you're getting.

for example, a pair of BOSE headphones costs the same as a pair of HD570s.

the 570s blow the BO$E out of the water, but the average consumer will see the BOSE and think of thier massive marketing about being the most respected name in sound, and spring for those.

They dont publish specs, they're demos are put on in very controlled rooms with extreamly expensive electronics hidden from view...

thier marketing is a boardline scam, and they rip people off who dont know any better shamelessly

..."thier marketing is a boardline scam, and they rip people off who dont know any better shamelessly."

Perhaps they (Bose) do, but if the average Joe Schmoe consumer digs their sound, regardless to how it's achieved, then they (the consumers) deserve to be ripped off, if in fact they really are.

I kinda side with ol' m00n...Bose never did anything to set me off; one of my brothers still owns a pair of 301s from 1983 (now regulated to surround duty). And I think that all the Bose Outlets throughout the country (you should see the one in Orlando) are a damn good idea! But I won't ever own a pair, not because Klipsch forum members pick on them, but because I personally don't care for the sound of 'em...I auditioned a pair of Bose 901s against a pair of JBL L112 Century II monitors...the JBLs came home with me simply because they sounded so much better!

And I also like the new 7-Series BMW!

True. I guess the average schmuck ain't like you, me, and all the Klipschans here, who trust our ears, and not the hype that they read. No arguements there.

I just don't see the reason for Bose bashing is all. But it's cool.

in reality we're not so much bashing the products, as the product:price ratio that they're pushing.

i know when i saw some BOSE in a store a few years ago i was so excited to hear these "Most Trusted" sounding speakers...

DAMN was i dissapointed! i was thinking "How could this be worth 3,000 dollars... they're must be better for the price"

the problem is most yuppies/joes out there we just say to themselves "this is high end audio!!"

I know how disappointed you felt...imagine how I felt when auditioning the 901s for the first time way back in '83. Everything I read up to that point claimed how superior the Bose Direct-Reflective system was to anything else out there, so naturally I had to hear them!

It was at the Robinson Barracks Post Exchange in Stuttgart, Germany, and I was in the market for my first real loudspeakers. Naturally, I wanted the Cornwalls (like my dad's '79 CWs), but they were just too big for my tiny flat (I lived in a small apartment on the economy). The Heresys were sold out, and the PX didn't carry the rest of the Heritage Series for whatever reason. The only other loudspeakers that interested me that was within my meager military budget was the Bose 901 and the JBL L112 monitors (of course the 901s were not deeply discounted as were other audio products that AAFES sold to all military personnel, so I assumed they had to be the best).

It couldn't have been any further from the truth! The JBL L112s simply blew the 901s away in every measure! More detail, presence, openness, and lots more bass! Without the Bose EQ, the 901s were nothing more than a series of cheap telephone speakers, IMO. Maybe the room setup in the loudspeaker showroom put the Bose in a bad light (and Bose's claim of a non-existant center sweet-spot due to their Direct-Reflective design didn't seem to matter here), but I chose the JBLs hands down (and I wasn't devoted one way or the other to either brand...I wanted Klipsch as soon as I first heard my dad's (now my) Cornwalls and a friend's 2 pairs of Klipschorns four years earlier).

Oh well, Bose is still doing something right!

Jim keep in mind I never bought/built my theater to get profit back. My audio gear will be in my family for YEARS to come and will most likely end up in the hands of my boys when I make upgrades. I have built this for the sole purpose of enjoyment of myself my family and my friends.

If you want to use that analagy, then why should people buy new cars? We all know the second you drive them off the lot brand new they instantly drop in value.

Besides, my theater has nothing to do with why people are always trashing on bose and or their marketing practice which is why I know you made your remarks. You are firing back at me. Sorry thats the case because my remarks were never directed at you. They were intened for the general audience. Rather it's here on this forum, hometheaterforum or avsforum, people always go out of their way to dog them.

Sorry if you took it as a direct shot at you Jim, never was meant to be.

LOL

I was hoping youd stop in, im in complete ENVY, JEALOUS, that i caint have something like that, for at least 10 more years !

But im really wondering how the belles would sound in that array?

Some one also mentioned a garage door opener, i dont recall seeing one in your room?

My bose. was supposed to be a joke in the first place, i took the pic, not realizing how it was!

Regards Jim

Moon

Sorry for what i stated, i guess i wanted to pull you aside,

Yeah, the garage door opener. I think it was a joke. That or they thought I used a garage door opener to mount my projector. Either way, it's not a garage door opener. It's acutally a keyboard tray mount thing. I needed something to mount my projector with and got to looking at that and said, HEY that will work. It does work but I am going to build something better because trying to make adjustmes with it is not easy. I plan on building something that I can adjust on all three axis as well as move the entire projector back and forth away from the screen.

And don't worry, someday you will have your theater. I just happen to be *EXTREMELY LUCKY* that I had a room I could turn into a dedicated theater. If not, I would have made due as most and used my living room. I am just lucky that's all. 4.gif1.gif

Man, hell with a new car. Average age of my vehicles over the course of my life: 13 years. My first car was 10 years old when I bought it. 2nd was 15. 3rd was 24. Then goes 12, 10, 14, 10, 12, 13, 19, 17, 14, and most recently 13. With a wife and a son, we often had two or three cars at any given time. Is it a hassle to maintain them? Only when they actually break down. I do 95% of my own work (don't mess with automatic transmissions) and I go out of my way to buy cars that don't feature electronic control systems (much easier to turn an idle screw or distributor than diagnose a computer)

I figure, with the average lifespan of each of those cars being @ 3 years (not including premature death from accidents), and the average price @ $800, plus an average of $1000 put into each in repairs over their lifespans, I'm still way ahead of the new car crowd, especially when you factor in the raw cost savings of liability insurance vs. comprehensive.

Oh, were we talking about Bo$e? Sorry for the derailment.