Best $1,000 Receiver for Klipsch RF-3

slingin a lespaul

Hello:

What A/V Receiver under $1000 would you match with Klipsch RF-3's all around. Even a $500 A/V Receiver is fine.

I know this has been asked a billion times ...but now it's personal. I don't need or want to spend "up" to $1000, but I am willing to pay for "quality" sound. I'd be happy with a 5.1, but 6.1 is ok. I am interested in 192khz DAC's.

The Marantz and Onkyo has 192khz DAC's, I don't think Denon or H/K does.

With Klipsch RF-3's:

1. Denon 2803 or 1804(compare to marantz 5300)

2. Harmon Kardon AVR-525

3. Marantz SR-7300 or 6300 or 5300

4. Onkyo TX-SR701

I LOVE MUSIC! Charlie Parker, Coltrane, Albert King, B.B. King, Jimi, Ozzy, SRV, Joe Satriani, Pink Floyd, Judas Priest ...get the idea. Everything but Country (sorry)

Do I really have to sacrifice for HT?

I've heard it all, I know sound is a personal observation, but c'mon ...

I've heard denon described as natural, great reliability ...the bad side "forward" and "light".

I've heard Harmon Hardon as "rich", "lush" ...the bad side, dark, and mushy with major reliability issues.

I've heard Marantz is most musical, warm ...the bad, home theater was "anemic", kinda feature short.

I've heard Onkyo as feature rich, potent ...the bad side as brash, generic sound.

By the way, I saw the specs on the Marantz sr5300, it's Output THD is only .05%, while it's bigger brothers are .08% ...what's up with that?

Based on "audio specs" I was leaning towards the Marantz.

I have also read the the H/K was rich and lush, that appeals to me.

I was leaning toward the Marantz and Harmon Kardon because I am a "MUSIC FREAK" ...and am looking to warm up the sound ...BUT that may be because I am currently using a Sony DE-STR845 (sorry).

By the way I was really surprised to see a poster here with a Yamaha hooked up to his Klipsch ...Bright?

Please reply!!! Don't just read and move on ...I would really like your opinion or 2cents worth. I live in Kansas ...dealers are limited around here ...

Thanks,

Rob

Oh boy,well Les since you ask...I would narrow it down to two or three.First the 3803 7.1,192khz,AL24 processing on digital inputs(makes my party multi changer sound great)at about $850.00,then Marantz 7300,then the 2803.Note I said I would,its always best to audition yourself at home when possible.

Rob,

The most often given advice is to demo as many units as possible in as similar an environment as possible.That said,many of us are happy with our choices,since we hear with our own ears,& are eager to recommend "our" brands-especially Klipsch.I use a Marantz SR9300 for HT,& recommend Marantz.THD is .05% in this unit,too.I'd be more concerned with listening than with comparing numbers,though.

SSH 1.gif

As an owner of a Marantz receiver for HT, I might be a bit biased. Its great for music, and I don't find the HT performance to be lacking at all. Must admit that the receiver spends most of its time cranking out great music, with HT on the weekends only. However, I love it for HT, and it has so far performed flawlessly.

I have Klipsh 35s all around on a Denon 3801. I believe the 3803 (current model) is still under $1000, and I'd get that over the 2803 any day. One of the main reasons is the 3803 is the lowest end Denon model that has independant power supplies inside.

Not very familiar with the other models, but I'd step up that Denon :)

Get the new Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX!!!

Its got the 192kHz/24-Bit DAC you are looking for.

Its 7.1 (not 5.1 or 6.1 but 7.1)

Its got "Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration Circuit" which helps you configure yours system.

You do not sacrifice for HT and you do not sacrifice for Music.

Some may like one or the other for music or HT, but you don't sacrifice for either with the 45TX.

Its available on the web for under $600.00. (in your price range or 500-1000 USD)

there.. thats my $.02.

Good luck.

James

----------------

On 8/25/2003 4:34:06 PM chinoloco wrote:

Its 7.1 (not 5.1 or 6.1 but 7.1)

----------------

I thought 6.1=7.1? They were the exact same thing and the only difference was if you used one speaker or two for the rear souround channel (they were fed the same signal)?

Are true 7.1 systems available now or is the above still true?

No.. you are right.

The surrounds have 3 channels.. LS, RS and BS.

However, there is this excerpt from Dolby's website:

If you use a single rear surround speaker, center it behind the listening area at the same height as the side surround speakers, preferably above ear level. If you use two back surround speakers, which give a more diffuse and natural surround effect, they should be at least four feet apart (creating an included angle of about 90 degrees to the listener), also centered behind the listening area and at the same height as the side surround speakers.

You might get more effects from surround by using 7 speakers instead of 6. I will be trying this setup probably in a week or so after I get my new fronts and move the current fronts to the back surrounds.

Harman/Kardon AVR 525. Undoubtably the best reciever I have come across yet for a klipsch setup and for under a grand.. WELL under a grand! I got mine for about $700, and it rocks. Its good looking, has very high-current amps, more than enough inputs and outputs for the average bear, has 7 channels of amplification, good bass-management for SACD and DVD-Audio, and sounds incredable with my Klipsch Reference 3 system! Dont forget the dual-room function.

Hello, Rob again:

To those that have responded ....THANK YOU!

I narrowed down my decision to:

1. Harmon Kardon AVR525 - $639.00

2. Marantz SR6300 - $545.00

3. Denon AVR 2803 - $545.00

All have full Manufacturers Warranty.

Still I don't want to have to deal with sending something back ...so reliability is a major issue.

Considering those prices ...anybody care to suggest one for Klipsch RF-3's.

It still blows me away that the H/K weighs in at 44lbs.!!!

Obviously the extra weight must be a good thing?

Once again I lean toward a tad warmer sound.

For example I love the sound of Alan Parsons (ELP)through my Klipschs ...so majestic.

So ...one of these three receivers must stand out.

I just read an article in "Home Theater" magazine. Scott Millan, Sony studio's mixing engineer for movies like Gladiator, Appolo 13, Bourne Identity, etc...just bought a new home theater system ...and he chose the Marantz SR9200.

Just one man's opinion, I'm just afraid of making a mistake or choosing a brand that has reliability problems.

Hell ...I still have an 18 year old JVC receiver that works perfectly, hard to believe that todays receivers can have so many bugs, or a premium brand can have reliability issues.

To everyone that has responded, thank you immensely! Your input is extemely appreciated.

Hello, Rob again:

Chinoloco: Sorry, I don't want to appear uneducated, but I'm not familiar with Pioneer Elite. When I think Pioneer I think "mass market, run of the mill". No offense intended. Is Pioneer Elite on par with H/K, Denon, Marantz, etc? What is the Weight of the Pioneer 45 that you have. I've heard from other posters that the pioneer is "warmer", thus being a good match for klipsch.

Did you really feel comfortable paying a premium price for "Pioneer"?

Thanks again for your response.

hey slingin.

if you say you have a $1000 budget thats nice. u can have a decent reciever.

i went to an audio dealer here in los angeles to test some recievers for my dads system. i finally came down to two choices.

denon 3803 36.4 lbs

h/k avr7200 53 lbs (not sure but it is some what in the 50 above).

these are great recievers. both powerful and nice clean sound produced. the avr7200 can produce nearly its rated output at about 95-98/channel all channels driven.(rated at 100w) denon is powerful also, but im some what practical in where will my money go (power is not conservative).

if you can extend your budget to $1050 get the avr 7200.

but i prefer that you should go to a dealer and give them a try.

Marantz SR7300, "any" A\V Receiver can do HT and their soundfields, "musically", nothing compares, 2 channel or 5 channel music, it covers the highs, mids, and lows in all ranges, and you can hear the difference. Music is important to me, more than HT and Marantz has gotten rave reviews for just that reason, besides great HT 10.gif

Just to add and not seemed biased, Denon was 2nd choice, owned by the same Company eh, D&M Holdings LTD....nice Receivers IMHO 10.gif

Hey Rob,

If you want to know if I feel comfortable in paying a premium price for Pioneer Elite, look at my signature, I have both the VSX43TX and the VSX45TX.

The VSX-45TX is about 45 pounds.. sometimes I think the model number reflects the weight of these things.. like the 43TX is 43lbs and the 45TX is 45lbs. 9.gif

The build is super on PE. Its a very heavy chassis, the front door is metal, not plastic, the knobs are metal, not plastic.

Remember, this guy is $1400.00 MSRP and $1200.00 MSRP even though nobody pays that price.

I think PE is on par with marantz, denon, H/K. Each company has their own chraracteristics, but each are very solid. I have not heard the ones you are looking at, but I have heard the Denon 3802 which is close to your 2803 and I have heard a couple of yamahas (RX-V1300, RX-V2300). ALL were good, all were slightly different.

Its up to your ears to determine which one you like better, but in no way does PE sound.. for a lack of a better term... "Cheap".

I have to admit however, I never auditioned the Pioneer AVR before I bought my first one. I went to one store, they had a older Pioneer Elite 2 channel system tied to Polk Audio LSi9 bookshelfs and it was very clean, very good which led me to buy Pioneer. Thats how I was introduced to the Elite lineup.