The White Van Scam

Tony Reed

Well, it's happened again. While at work, a co-worker came to me and asked if I would come look at some home theater speakers a couple of guys were selling. On the way to the door I asked, "Are they in a white van?" He nearly fell over while answering "Yes, they are!" I told him to stay away from that deal. I was curious, so I went to check it out. It was the same old story. Their supplier had over shipped and they just wanted to get rid of these items. He said they're "Home Theater" brand, I'm sure you've heard of it. "They have ceramic woofers, high output mids and tweeters and custom crossovers." Wow... all in a brand I've never heard of! The packaging was very nice, I guess to make them look legitimate. I told them I was a "Klipsch" guy and didn't need any more "Home Theater" products. I was quite surprised when he mentioned several of PWK's Heritage line products and said, "Klipsch is the best, you don't need any of this junk." Thanks to this BB I was ready for this scam!

Tony

I love to hear these scam stories. I remember reading about the "white van" in previous threads. Good thing you were there to help your bud out of trouble. I wish I could see these speakers myself, I just find it fascinating the work some folks do just to run a scam.

Good thing I bought my Clipsch set from an authorized dealer in their black van mobile showroom!!! 9.gif9.gif

After all the talk going around about the White Van Scam you would think its time for these knuckleheads selling this junk to make a business investment like this one:

Earl Scheib's Pro 1 Package

Great results at a budget price, Pro 1 includes a one year warranty. At $199.95 it includes:

Chemically clean, dewax and remove fingerprints

Dual-action sanding for adhesion (Up and Down)

Careful masking & taping of truck, head, hands and feet

Air-blown dust removal (Hot Forced Air)

Tack cloth cleaning (The tackiest available)

Paint coats #1 and #2 and #3 skidoo

Masking & tape removal in the alley of your choice

Final cleaning (something both the painter and paintee are experts in)

----------------

On 8/27/2003 9:38:06 AM tankhokie wrote:

I love to hear these scam stories. I remember reading about the "white van" in previous threads. Good thing you were there to help your bud out of trouble. I wish I could see these speakers myself, I just find it fascinating the work some folks do just to run a scam.

Good thing I bought my Clipsch set from an authorized dealer in their black van mobile showroom!!!
9.gif9.gif
----------------

I know, and my JLB speakers sound better than ever!

I'd love to know what these fantastic speakers look like, who actually makes them, and where these "white van" sales associates get them. I've heard of these scams for years, but never came across them. I can't even imagine the dummies who actually fall for these speaker scams.

----------------

On 8/27/2003 6:55:41 PM kenratboy wrote:

That website is very Bose-like. Lots of flash - no info.

----------------

Don't you just love those "content-free" sites? Actually, the speakers do look pretty nice, but did you see those "full retail" prices? $2000 each for the "2000-SLs", which, if I am reading it correctly, mean $4000/pair. However, I hear they quote those prices and then sell them off for like $400/pair to make you think you are getting a really awesome deal. I have seen some reviews of these speakers and the majority of them say they do sound like a $400/pair speaker as oppose to $4000/pair speaker. I actually would like to hear a pair of those myself, especially up against my RF-7s, which would theoretically be in the same class of speaker if going by the prices quoted on the Dogg Digital website. I have yet to personally encounter one of these "white vans" myself.

Then again, I'll admit that the Bose stuff also looks nice, but looks can be deceiving.

I can't speak to the subject transaction. Maybe it was a ligit deal.

A scam has been going on, on Michigan Avenue here in Chicago with watches.

The grifter offers a watch he bought ligit for $10 and asks for $100 with some implication it is worth $200 because of the trademark or something. The mark thinks he might have a golden opportunity to pick up "warm" goods.

The deal goes down. The mark finds, later, he has in fact not bought anything than a cheap watch at an inflated price. The grifter really hasn't done anything illegal and is long gone.

There seems to be a lot of this going on, everywhere. The scam is always that the grifter is looking to unload some "warm" or distressed goods and the mark thinks this is an opportunity to get good stuff in some deal which is just on the plus side of being legal versus illegal.

Gil

C

I was with someone who was approached by these "white van" guys about 10yrs ago... I wasn't a prime target because of my age... they prefer older baby-boomer types with a little cash to burn. Kinda like the market BO$E targets as well. 2.gif

Same story even thought I'm up here in Montreal... they had this leftover set of "Pro-Audio" brand speakers... they had the colour ad which prominently displays the list price... etc... This co-worker asked me what I thought, and although this was before I had heard of the scam, I suggested we walk as I had never heard of "Pro-Audio". I only learned it was a scam years later with the internet and I now frequently see these units for sale in local classified ads being sold by either the scammers or their victims.

Technically, you can easily get a set for 200$cnd ... although I have seen some guys asking as much as 600$cnd. What does one expect from a 150$US speaker? If you really think about it, like Gil said, the only scam is the fact they make you believe they are stolen when in reality they arent. Obviously I also wonder how many of these guys are legitimate companies and pay their taxes and the like?

It's good to talk about it to friends and family, as knowledge will help them make a informed decision if ever presented with the offer. This recently happened to my brother as he exited a FutureShop Store (like Circuit City)... same story.

BO$E is selling crappy speakers and no one calls them a scam? 11.gif

Later...

Rob

PS: I've come across the same scam with leather coats... same story, different product.

----------------

On 8/28/2003 4:24:08 PM Tony Reed wrote:

As a footnote to the story:

Later in the day, my co-worker saw these same two guys in another location trying to scam someone else. He watched as they were rejected once again. I guess they're having a hard time unloading their "surplus" merchandise.

Tony
----------------

I would ask them if I could stop by their 'workshop' to see how they are built first 9.gif

Couple things to add -

LOOK - THEY'V GOT CLIPSCH on their website! http://www.doggdigitalaudio.com/DA2012wood.html 9.gif9.gif9.gif

A thought about this whole white van gig...

Is it not possible that these guys are performing this "guerrilla marketing" just to get the name into peoples' houses so they can serve as word-of-mouth advertisers? (with the end goal having people actually buy them at full price off the website)

If that's what they're doing, I must say it's a brilliant concept. Only downside is that they use the same basic tactic every time. If they'd try and invent a few new stories to explain the blowout deal they wouldn't end up being viewed as a scam...