Heresy Placement

dodger

Greetings:

There have been some great posts about speaker placement today.

Just an observance I had forgotten how good heresys can sound. Right now mine are where my LaScalas were. On the floor. (They look like shrunken LaScals).

But I just put on Kool and the Gang's "Summer Madness" and they sound niiice..

Great demo song from the "Light of Worlds" LP. Shows off bass, high end, detail, soundstage and ability to pick each instrument out.

Win dodger

Funny thing- I was just thinking about that song yesterday. I was listening to Joni Mitchell's "Shadows and Light", and remembering how (as a college radio DJ in Fredonia) I used to cut back and forth between that song and Metheny's solo and Hejira from the Joni album. Good thing the smoke detectors didn't work in the studio!!9.gif

----------------

On 8/27/2003 1:48:50 PM dodger wrote:

Greetings:

There have been some great posts about speaker placement today.

Just an observance I had forgotten how good heresys can sound. Right now mine are where my LaScalas were. On the floor. (They look like shrunken LaScals).

But I just put on Kool and the Gang's "Summer Madness" and they sound niiice..

Great demo song from the "Light of Worlds" LP. Shows off bass, high end, detail, soundstage and ability to pick each instrument out.

Win dodger

----------------

So you remembered! I'll see if they have any copies. If so I'll pick up a few. They seem to have about a dozen of everything from this used lp store that went out of business and donated all their soul collection which included some K&TG. I'll bet you'd like a nice new copy you could pick up this weekend.

----------------

On 8/27/2003 7:53:54 PM jt1stcav wrote:

So the shrunken Cornwalls (IMO) sound great on the floor? Are they on their tilted risers? I always thought they'd image better sitting on sturdy stands.

----------------

I like mine on stands, in the corner, driven by a HF-81. Stands are filled with sand, homemade spikes made from arrow tips. It doesn't hurt that the room is well proportioned and absorbent.

heresy_stand.jpg

jtice, that's a nice speaker stand! They're proportionally correct with the size of the Heresys...Just curious; have you thought of refinishing the stands to match the Heresys? Either way, those stands are better than most I've seen at high-end retailers or online!

----------------

On 8/28/2003 8:34:30 PM jt1stcav wrote:

jtice, that's a nice speaker stand! They're proportionally correct with the size of the Heresys...Just curious; have you thought of refinishing the stands to match the Heresys? Either way, those stands are better than most I've seen at high-end retailers or online!

----------------

Thanks. Well, yesI thought about it. 2.gif

They look nice painted black but are decidedly utilitarian. If I had known from the outset that they would have a positive impact I might have approached it differently. I was experimentingdidn't know for sure they'd be keepers. They make the bass tighter, image better and generally sound cleaner and more transparent. Positive effects did not materialize until the stands were filled and spiked. This was something of a revelation as my intention was simply to change the height and angle. A friend suggested filling and spiking and it worked!

John