LOTR: Two Towers SUCKS on our HT system...

kenratboy

Ratboy -

Watched the movie today, and now I have to agree with you, as much as I hate to. 11.gif11.gif Even in widescreen mode, I kept getting the feeling that I was missing something, and not getting the full visual detail. I know that this is partly due to the fact that many of the scenes that are largely monochromatic making details hard to distinguish. Ulitimately I wanted a huge flipping screen.

It was friggin awesome on my 34" widescreen.

The nice thing is you'll be able to enjoy it a few years from now when you buy the new digitally enhanced box set of the entire series in your all heritage home theater room when you start bringing home that 6-figure salary. Just be careful not to scare the kids.6.gif

I do undestand about some smaller widescreen tvs. I guess I am spoiled with a 60in.

I guess my opinions are jaded because I was never on a laser disc bandwagon. By the time I was able to afford anything, my first purchase was in 1997, DVDs were out and ready to capture the marketplace. I guess if many LDs were 4:3 format, I would need a big enough TV to still work good in 4:3 mode.

Of course nowadays.. its hard to see anyone paying extra costs for a LD when DVDs are so much cheaper.

• 2 weeks later...

damn you guys need to get out of the ghetto.

On my 30' high ceiling theatre room LoTR was much better than the theatre. I am running 1000Wx25 channels and a line quadrupiler :)

Seriously it depends on room size/distance from the screen...in a 3x5 room a 27" would be overkill....in a 30x40 room you may have trouble finding the picture. ;)

I am living cheap so my 32" works out nice

damn you guys need to get out of the ghetto.

On my 30' high ceiling theatre room LoTR was much better than the theatre. I am running 1000Wx25 channels and a line quadrupiler :)

Seriously it depends on room size/distance from the screen...in a 3x5 room a 27" would be overkill....in a 30x40 room you may have trouble finding the picture. ;)

I am living cheap so my 32" works out nice

----------------

On 8/30/2003 3:46:14 AM prodj101 wrote:

some day I'll just get a nice 10 thousand dollar projector.

----------------

You don't need a $10,000 projector. My Infocus retails at $5,000. I am more than willing to be 1/2 my next paycheck you could pick one up for a lot less than that. Make no mistake about it, this is a DAMN nice projector.

Ok... I won't bet any of my next paycheck, but you get my point. 10.gif

The scene I use to give people demo's when they request this particular DVD is chapter 41, when the "suicide bomber" does his thang. The surround CHANT while he runs up with the torch in slow mo is awesome, not to mention the insanely heavy bass when the wall explodes and the boulder debris come raining down.

I like the sound of HT gear better than the fancy movie theater and I find a simple $3500 NEX HT1000 DLP projector in a dark room with 95" width to be a monster just like the movies. Heck I even like sitting 10' from a 55" RPTV. Give me HT any day. With a good sub(s) you bet more shake and bass than a theater, too.

KJ,

Since I have my two HT systems I almost never pay to see any movies in theaters.The sound quality at home is much better,the only BIG plus in a theater is the...GIANT SCREEN.Well the rest its all better at home,you dont have to sit close to noisy fools who deserve a beating and can enjoy the movie more at home.

My subsonic armies provide so much low end its scary!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm new to this, but I've got to agree with KJohnsonHP and Theear. The sound is much better at home with my new system than in the theaters. Besides they don't let you in theaters dressed like "that." Actually since getting my system I didn't realize how important "sound" is to the movie experiance and what I've been missing while watching VHS on a 25in TV. Progressive DVD in 16:9 with surround sound is sweet.

I'd be interested in hearing some feedback on some of the equipment below. I'm very happy with everything now, especially my Klipsch speakers since I took back the (ahem...) BOSE AM12 system (thank god for their 90 day return policy).

NUDUDE

Hitachi Ultravision 51S700 51" RPHDTV w/tuner 16:9

Sony STRDE695 6.1 Receiver

Panasonic DVD-F85S 5-Disc DVD, DVD-A/DVD-RAM/R,CD-R/RW,MP3,WMA,JPEG

Klipsh RF15(2), SC-1, SS-1(2),KSW10

VCR Panasonic

Surge Prot Monster HTS800

Connections: MonsterBass 300, MonsterVideo3 Comp.Video,RCA Optical cables(2), Speakers 16GA Twisted pairs, Analog Audio for DVD-A

Spectron DTV2000 Amplified Antenna (for free HDTV)

Sony Playstation2