Glad to see we're getting a life ...

I've noticed that the frenetic posting has dropped a few levels ... and I think this is a good thing ...

Perhaps:

- Folks are just happy with their gear and are spending more time listening to music than disecting it;

- We have rediscovered that we have warm wives waiting in bed for us at night;

- We're just renting cottages and enjoying our beaches and boats;

- We're sucked under the waves at work (which for late August is trouble).

Just a thought from someone whose wife is asleep upstairs.

Greetings:

Chris makes valid points.

The Forum IS very nice, BUT - as with any hobby or action that takes us singly to the realm of operstion, we lose contact with other people in close proximity to us.

Perhaps the fact of just typing posts without the immediacy of replies as in conversation takes us to this protected, to us, area.

But as with cell phones, laptops, working vacations increasing, having downtime to relax and enjoy our loved ones, music, for which we all spend the money to buy to listen to drops by the wayside.

As one of Kelly's posts mentioned, if I may be in the same league to quote him, even listening to favorite music on the car radio.... paraphrased.

This hits on my post of yesterday and perhaps really answers it.

We are not a dying breed. We just spend too much time trying to find the perfect system. As we do other projects do we ever find ourselves humming or whistling ? THAT is quite far from accurate reproduction.

Emails, conference calls, cell phones, pagers, laptops, rolling tubes, changing pieces of equipment, interconnects, speaker cables......

A study some years ago found that the average peron needs physical contact about eight (8) times per day: shaking hands, a hug, a kiss, a pat on the back. We need to go beyond that.

We need to return to conversation, playing actual games, listening to music, we need more imagination, curiousity, reading a book. Being a person that can do something as simple as wave or nod as we pass by a perosn.

We had a NEWS STORY about a gentleman that waves at people whether walking, in cars last night. His quote: "it doesn't cost anything, it lets others know we are all together as humans, not pieces of equipment....

Strange, I thought there have been some good topics lately with a lot of posting activity. Although it appears it is more specific info which sometimes keeps the more reticent posters away. Actually, the forum seems about average in its posts/responses to me, if not slightly above average, and this with no trauma/drama to aid in the output.

kh

----------------

On 8/29/2003 9:30:09 AM mobile homeless wrote:

Strange, I thought there have been some good topics lately with a lot of posting activity. Although it appears it is more specific info which sometimes keeps the more reticent posters away. Actually, the forum seems about average in its posts/responses to me, if not slightly above average, and this with no trauma/drama to aid in the output.

kh

----------------

Greetings:

Ialso agree with Keel - a dychotemy with Chris.

The topics have been good, no dire problems. Music or equipment oriented.

In hindsight, my post goes to the very quickly changing technology and to how parts of that technology is affecting life in general.

In a few years, we'll point to these being the good old days.

I remember the playing checkers or Monopoly with members of my family, sitting at dinner, no TV, radio or real hurry. Enjoying each other's company, rather than electronic games played singly, sitting at the computer when family is home.

I must state that the idea of moving against my will due to the gasoline spill and the day to to day effects it is having - health testing, groundwater monitoring, soil samples, and the cavalier atitudes of my State, County and City Officials plus the poor attitude by the Company that owns the equipment causing the spill is sickening.

I've been in this house 25 years, 50 years in the neighborhood. It is home, not just a house.

So, yes we've had great posts, ones to learn from. We also have a number of people getting into tubes, which is good unless you are an NOS person.

But as we post here, some could be with families more. I only have a work in an office Wife, sister with Parkinson's and some psychological issues, cousin, and 2 nieces that are not available during the day.

If I am not busy I post. But that's also why I don't post much in the evenings/nights unless I can't sleep, or on the weekends.

I'm busy with family. I think that along with other interests, listening to music and enjoying the music, not what equipment it's being played through is what Chris what referring to.

So being a Libra, I do agree with both.

Win dodger

Homo lupus homo is the ancient Latin saying. Man is a wolf to Man. We are all animals, but all of our civilized progress comes from our rational extrapolation of how we think things should be. I would be embarrassed for interplanetary visitors to see how little progress we have made after the humanist teachings of Jesus, Ghandi and Martin Luther King. We have done so little to address the problems that still plague mankind from two thousand years ago! Yet, it doesnt have to be this way. Each of us can make a small attempt at better place, if only in our daily lives.

Dodgers comments remind me of my own feeble attempt at behavior modification in a social environment a long time ago. After reading a typically pithy Readers Digest story about the bubbly influence that a happy-go-lucky woman had on the riders of the same bus for twenty years, I too tried the same experiment.

Shortly after college, I landed a great job downtown and an apartment on a bus route in St. Paul, Minnesota. As a energetic 21-year old, whose future looked so bright he had to wear shades, I was appalled at the gloomy and quiet, early-morning disposition of the same six dozen people packed into that rolling hot dog rack. I decided to have a happy-go-lucky influence on that hot, humid and dreary ride, even if it took me twenty years.

I was NOT brave, bold or overly overt. I started small at first, merely a smile or a hello. This part was easy. I was packed in like a plumb wiener, so mere common courtesy required a brief smile or a nod. I gave it just a little more. A slightly bigger smile, a slightly larger nod, a twinkle of the eye, as if to say I know, how humiliating this all is, to be jammed together like tube steaks in gas station griller. A little effort. An extra smile per day. That was all I added. A few more watts added to the daily standard, the Im tired and life is one big hassle smile. Thats all. After awhile, I ventured a question between the bus lurches, bumpy stops and rivulets of sweat tickling down the inside of my suit. How are you? I was brave enough to ask.

You know something? When you ask people how they are, they would really like to give you a longer answer that the de rigour response; fine, thank you. They would really like someone to ask - a friend perhaps, someone to actually care - if their answer is more involved than fine, thank you. We would all like that. We would all like someone to actually care about how we are, beyond the mere courtesy response: fine, thank you.

It wasnt long before I had five or six people just waiting to me for me to ask how they were that day, or what they did last night, or what they were reading, or where they were going next. The front of the bus was still packed and sweaty. But now, it bubbled with conversation.

Oh, what is that?

Piece of sculpture.

Sculpture?

Sure, I am returning it to the Library. They have sculpture you can borrow just like a book.

They do?

Sure, all kinds of art, in fact: music, pictures, movies, paintings.

Well, imagine that, I never know that, I am going to have to check that out.

And you know something else? Conversation to humans is like water to fish. We just suck it up. We drink it in like the air we breathe. It washes over our consciousness and nourishes our souls. And conversation passes as easily from mouth to mouth as a bad cold from child to child. It is contagious among us. It is NOT possible for a thinking human being to sit at the back of a sweltering bus and face the incoming tide of conversation at the front, without that person forming some opinion as to the relative merits of the discussion. Even if it be so little as a growl of disapproval. That growling bear is still aching, aching, inside for someone, even that insignificant little old lady perhaps, to just ask, just ask, how are you today, what are you doing this weekend?

It was NOT long before everybody was talking to each other. They NO longer waited until I boarded. Conversations sprouted like yellow weeds on a green lawn, watered by our damp foreheads and bleary, early-morning smiles. We greeted each other with happy faces. Pleased to see even so causal a friend as the one with which we ride the bus each morning. All it took was a small, patient, humanistic attempt at a better place.

Soon, in days and weeks, NOT months, and certainly NOT twenty years, the bubbly legacy of that happy-go-lucky woman, enshrined so pithily in the Reader Digest story, was re-incarnated by a brash young wolf with a rational extrapolation of how things should be.

Have a great weekend!

2.gif

Homo lupus homo is the ancient Latin saying. Man is a wolf to Man. We are all animals, but all of our civilized progress comes from our rational extrapolation of how we think things should be. I would be embarrassed for interplanetary visitors to see how little progress we have made after the humanist teachings of Jesus, Ghandi and Martin Luther King. We have done so little to address the problems that still plague mankind from two thousand years ago! Yet, it doesnt have to be this way. Each of us can make a small attempt at better place, if only in our daily lives.

Dodgers comments remind me of my own feeble attempt at behavior modification in a social environment a long time ago. After reading a typically pithy Readers Digest story about the bubbly influence that a happy-go-lucky woman had on the riders of the same bus for twenty years, I too tried the same experiment.

Shortly after college, I landed a great job downtown and an apartment on a bus route in St. Paul, Minnesota. As a energetic 21-year old, whose future looked so bright he had to wear shades, I was appalled at the gloomy and quiet, early-morning disposition of the same six dozen people packed into that rolling hot dog rack. I decided to have a happy-go-lucky influence on that hot, humid and dreary ride, even if it took me twenty years.

I was NOT brave, bold or overly overt. I started small at first, merely a smile or a hello. This part was easy. I was packed in like a plumb wiener, so mere common courtesy required a brief smile or a nod. I gave it just a little more. A slightly bigger smile, a slightly larger nod, a twinkle of the eye, as if to say I know, how humiliating this all is, to be jammed together like tube steaks in gas station griller. A little effort. An extra smile per day. That was all I added. A few more watts added to the daily standard, the Im tired and life is one big hassle smile. Thats all. After awhile, I ventured a question between the bus lurches, bumpy stops and rivulets of sweat tickling down the inside of my suit. How are you? I was brave enough to ask.

You know something? When you ask people how they are, they would really like to give you a longer answer that the de rigour response; fine, thank you. They would really like someone to ask - a friend perhaps, someone to actually care - if their answer is more involved than fine, thank you. We would all like that. We would all like someone to actually care about how we are, beyond the mere courtesy response: fine, thank you.

It wasnt long before I had five or six people just waiting to me for me to ask how they were that day, or what they did last night, or what they were reading, or where they were going next. The front of the bus was still packed and sweaty. But now, it bubbled with conversation.

Oh, what is that?

Piece of sculpture.

Sculpture?

Sure, I am returning it to the Library. They have sculpture you can borrow just like a book.

They do?

Sure, all kinds of art, in fact: music, pictures, movies, paintings.

Well, imagine that, I never know that, I am going to have to check that out.

And you know something else? Conversation to humans is like water to fish. We just suck it up. We drink it in like the air we breathe. It washes over our consciousness and nourishes our souls. And conversation passes as easily from mouth to mouth as a bad cold from child to child. It is contagious among us. It is NOT possible for a thinking human being to sit at the back of a sweltering bus and face the incoming tide of conversation at the front, without that person forming some opinion as to the relative merits of the discussion. Even if it be so little as a growl of disapproval. That growling bear is still aching, aching, inside for someone, even that insignificant little old lady perhaps, to just ask, just ask, how are you today, what are you doing this weekend?

It was NOT long before everybody was talking to each other. They NO longer waited until I boarded. Conversations sprouted like yellow weeds on a green lawn, watered by our damp foreheads and bleary, early-morning smiles. We greeted each other with happy faces. Pleased to see even so causal a friend as the one with which we ride the bus each morning. All it took was a small, patient, humanistic attempt at a better place.

Soon, in days and weeks, NOT months, and certainly NOT twenty years, the bubbly legacy of that happy-go-lucky woman, enshrined so pithily in the Reader Digest story, was re-incarnated by a brash young wolf with a rational extrapolation of how things should be.

Have a great weekend!

2.gif2.gif

Mobile:

I think this post might be referring to some previous threads that got way to long and way to over the top. These occured just prior to your "return" to the forum.

I agree that there have been some great topics lately. Mostly I've just "lurked and learned".