EICO HF-81 - Factory Wired

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom, is there any stamp on there, either on the suface of top plate or underneath that says "TESTED BY" etc? Two people have written that this was one of the ways to tell as well. But your "riveted" comment is interesting. Both the units I have here have sockets et al attached with screws. I also know that both are kits based on the markings. The first unit has no cold solder joints and looks well put together with attention to detail if not the most festidious layout. The second had a few niggling joints and one really mediocre bias cap repair done. It's construction looks relatively well-done but nothing special. The first unit is by far the best sounding EICO I have heard of the five or so.

I am going to go through all the pictures people have sent me to see. I dont know if any of this also corresponds to years either.

OK, just did a check. So far, 90% of the units pictured on my HD appear to have the screws for socket attachment. Several the look very much like a factory wiring job DO have the screws as well. At the moment, I am not sure if some of the factory built units did use both depending on years, but it's an interesting point. Looking at the unit above, it appears that it does indeed have rivets but hard to tell. I am going to write him and ask for a picture of the wiring.

kh

----------------

On 8/30/2003 3:53:41 AM mobile homeless wrote:

Several the look very much like a factory wiring job DO have the screws as well. At the moment, I am not sure if some of the factory built units did use both depending on years, but it's an interesting point.

----------------

Mine has rivets and it is a factory unit with a test date of Feb 4, 1959. These pics are pre-NOSValves rebuild.

Factory Eico

Its hard to say I have never seen a Kit amp with riveted tube sockets. In fact I make a point to tighten all those darn screws since there used for grounding some components. I guess its possible that they were riveted by the kit builder, factory wired without the tested stamp (whiped off maybe) or ECIO started pre installing the tube sockets at some point.

The tested stamp has always been in the same spot with the ones I have seen just like Johns in the picture above and the unit Kelly posted at the start of the thread.

Craig

Kelly,

Mine was really ratty when I got it. there was a crud build-up on both top and bottom of the chassis. Gunk was really stuck on there, I used some really harsh chemicals to clean it off. I really doubt any stamp would have survived and none is visible now.

Mine was wired somewhat more neatly than jtice's example pictured in his link.

I'm betting the riveted-sockets theorem is correct.

IIRC, at one point a year or so ago you mentioned you might able to post a html version of the Eico build manual, anything ever happen on that?

I'd be interested in that to the point of being willing to do it myself if it help.

Tom

Tom, I do remember saying this to you. I just have been so busy this summer as well as out of the country, that I have not had much time to devote to audio besides listening to music, perhaps a good thing in many ways (add on the fact that I bought a Beneteau which is STILL on land!).

I will make a .pdf version of the manual and post on the site. Perhaps you can remind me to get me in gear on this. I actually have 5 or so new pages for that EICO site that I never posted, from mods to bypassing to a Super Eico page that Jeff and I were talking about. I know he doesnt want to work on them at all, however.

Thanks for the reminder on the manual. Actually, if you have scans of the pages, something I havent done, you can send them to me and I'll post on the site. Get up with me via mail.

kh

Kelly,

I don't have a copy of the manual so no scans either. If you have a manual and will scan it that's cool, or send it to me and I'll scan it and return it to you.

I've got some webspace, no issue there, I can host it or you can park it on your space. Any combination of the above is OK with me.

Your skills with getting stuff up on the web are far superior to anybody elses I know, but I don't see that it's fair for you to get stuck doing all the work. If you want to offload this I'll do it, no sweat.

Tom

Wow, digging thru my stuff I discover I already have a printed assembly manual, bought it off ebay ahile back. This is the manual that came with the kits. It shows the tube sockets being assembled to the chassis with #4 x 40 bolts and nuts. I'm now claiming that riveted HF-81's are factory assembled, until/unless somebody can show different.

Tom

Kelly,

I recently bought a house and moved, it was a major project for me since I had been in the old house for 14 years. I got the manual off ebay not long before the big change and it just got lost in the shuffle, both mentally and physically. I still think it would be a good thing to have it online somewhere.

Tom

• 4 weeks later...

Chris,

I was wondering when someone would comment on my post-

Yes, I need this Eico like I need a hole in my head, what with my new Yamaha 2000 series setup,my older Yamaha components and several other audio remnants around the house its not something that I needed but something I wanted to try.

But with Kelly, Jeff, and yourself- as well as many forum members praising this little integrated Eico it really piqued my interest and I figured I'd sell some stuff down the road so I threw caution to the wind and placed a bid and whatda know, actually won this auction.

With all this talk about SET floating around and several saying that the HF-81 was the closest to this in a PP amplifier I at least had to give it a try,and factory wired units don't show up all that often.

According to the owner with whom I have shared several e-mails with as of late it sounds great and nothing has been done to it so I am a little skeptical.

If it is something to my liking and sounds good with my musical taste I would send it off to Craig for a little TLC and get Kellys advice on what to do in the order of caps,resistors, tubes,etc.

I know Craigs opinion on the Eico and a lot of people have mentioned they prefer their Scotts to their Eicos (and vice-versa) so I'll keep an open mind and let my ears be the judge.

Jeff