I got a yellow thingy on my disk?

Fish

I was at a flea market today in Louisville and purchased a used,but in good shape cd.When I opened it up there was a yellow band of plastic/rubber around the outside of the disk about 7/16" wide and 1/32" thick.It can be peeled off and is semi sticky and well made(fit).I presume this is some kind of super duper hi-fi plastic 2.gif ,but not sure.Anywho I just thought I'd ask if someone knows.

It's a damping ring. Back in the mid 80's this was one of the many tweeks (along with painting the edges green with a special marker, applying a variety of gooey optical compounds to the surface of the disc and buffing, cryogenically freezing the discs , putting little discus-like thingies on top of the disc while playing, a bunch of others) that were supposed to combat the perceived harseness of CDs.

They may still be available.

Thanks anyway fini,I think the damping ring theory sounds pretty good,even the scratch proofer.The fact is it REALLY works,as an indoor compact frisby.I was a little cautious about trying it in my cd changer,I did try it in the 2900,with no audible effect15.gif