Vibration dampening feet for amps, etc.

3dzapper

I was sitting here listening to Steely Dan on my Technics SL1200 (first edition) thinking about those fabulous viscous dampening feet(Small things for small minds I guess)and how great the would be on amps etc. to combat vibration and microphonics.

Then WHAMMO!! Limb Savers! I am an archer, thats where my handle comes from. I compete in 3d tournaments weekly. On our bows, to remove hand shock we use products from Sims Laboratories made of viscous rubber called Limbsavers. I had two of them in my truck and stole two from my hunting bow, when placed under my "new" 299c it feels just like the turntable. Like controlled balloons.

If you would like to try some they are about $15 a pair at Archery stores or Lancaster Archery.com.

Rick

post-12829-13819249009276_thumb.jpg

Very interesting,I tried a few shock absorbing anti vibration feet and it did help CD players the most.As for amps yes most power amps could gain from vibrations absorbing feet.

With the better built amps the gain may very well be not audible(placebo effect at most).

What I dont get is the use of some graphite/carbon fiber cones under CD payers,I NEVER heard any gains but yet some claim "The image is more focused,the bass tighter".I think these audiophiles are under a heavy placebo effect,well if it works for them great.

Indeed, the shock absorbers on modern CD players are woefully inadequate. Get the volume up to @ 100dB on my JBL's and the Sony mass-changer starts to skip. Really obnoxious, especially when I'm grooving to something really heavy that demands high volumes (Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger and Metallica's Master of Puppets come immediately to mind)

Rick:

Is there any value in placing the Sims Laboratory LimbSaver under my Klipschorn speakers? Someone was visiting me, who says he is a part time disk Jockey, and I whould have feet under my speakers to improve the base. True????

Santon.

----------------

On 9/1/2003 10:31:24 AM 3dzapper wrote:

I was sitting here listening to Steely Dan on my Technics SL1200 (first edition) thinking about those fabulous viscous dampening feet(Small things for small minds I guess)and how great the would be on amps etc. to combat vibration and microphonics.

Then WHAMMO!! Limb Savers! I am an archer, thats where my handle comes from. I compete in 3d tournaments weekly. On our bows, to remove hand shock we use products from Sims Laboratories made of viscous rubber called Limbsavers. I had two of them in my truck and stole two from my hunting bow, when placed under my "new" 299c it feels just like the turntable. Like controlled balloons.

If you would like to try some they are about $15 a pair at Archery stores or Lancaster Archery.com.

Rick

----------------

----------------

On 9/1/2003 12:40:41 PM marksdad wrote:

i do buy into some of the tweaks, but so much of it is just like anything else, any way to our pocketbooks
12.gif
----------------

I want to find a tweak than fan be done cheap or for free that the audiophile community agrees with - not gonna happen 2.gif

If you want to improve the sound of your CD player and don't want to spend $99- on Daruma III or $300 on Symposium Roller blocks, try this- a poor man's Vibraplane. Cost $5.00

Get a Schwinn bicycle tire tube, size 16 x 1.75/2.25. Blow just a bit of air into it- you can do it by mouth- depressing the pin on the valve. You need it pretty limp.

Put the tube under your CD player/t-port (about 3/4" clearance) so that when you tap the player on one corner it will rock about 4-5 times before settling. I like Schwinn tubes, because the rubber is quite complaint- not stiff like other tubes. Wheelbarrow wheel tubes have too thick rubber.

This tweak effectively decouples the player from the shelf and damps any vibration the player might pick up from the shelf. A large Ziplock bag filled with 1/2" sand (when laying flat) on top of the player will also help dampen chassis vibration. I improves the sound, in my experience, more so in bass definition and extension. YMMV

Some of you may scoff, like Edster did when I brought the Darumas to his place, but he soon changed his tune when he heard what they did for the sound.

santon,

No, I don't think that I would put them under my horns. The horns must couple with the floor and the corner to work properly.

Those tennis balls are what got me to thinking about this. They don't meet the WAF. I stuck them under my 299 as an experiment. I like the advice on the dvd/cd player and am moving them now.

Another bit of knowledge I picked up here lately. I went to Wally World and bought two of those " CD stands". They are great for twice the $79 that they cost. They meet WAF. Although she wanted wood in the family, now 2 channel, room.

Rick

Jim T.,

These are EXACTLY the "cool looking" cone sI was talking about! These "tweaks" are PLACEBO DELUXE and I heard so many "audiophiles" say DID YOU HEAR THAT LIQUID MIDRANGE? LOL

Who do they fool? Hard cones make the midrange more liquid and how? With voodoo magic? What else? Gimmie a break these companies dont know what to invent to rip the money from our audiophile pockets.

I promissed to myself I would NEVER buy these phony tweaks again.

I will buy a high quality DAC but not some magic pill,well yes if the magic pill makes me take a trip to the wild side.

Ah, c'mon EAR, ya gotta admit my AR cones are extremely cool lookin'...am I classified as a true "audiophile" now with these isolation cones perched under my player?16.gif My brother (who owns both Mac MC250s) now has 3 brass Molly Toes (see: www.needledoctor.com) underneath his Pioneer SACD/DVD-A player. After much critical and extensive listening, neither of us can hear any true difference or improvement in sound quality. Better DACs and interconnects did make a drastic change in overall sound to each of our players...that's about it. And my other bro's use of tennis balls under his turntable really cured the nasty vibrations he used to get from his old 18" sub which was too close to his audio cabinet at the time. Very effective!

But his balls aren't as good lookin' as my cones!9.gif

----------------

On 9/4/2003 11:17:42 PM jt1stcav wrote:

It's a macho audiophile thing...these big cones are way cool! Do I hear even a slight difference between these cones and the original rubber feet? Frankly...no.

----------------

9.gif I love the honesty... and "yes" they do look good. 2.gif