Best song/music to show off imaging?

Manuel Delaflor

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 9/2/2003 8:36:18 AM Manuel Delaflor wrote:

You know, that recording that really puts the musicians in front of you, with pin point imaging, when you feel you can stand up and walk in between the instruments.

----------------

I don't know for music as I never understood the hype about this.

But for sure my collection of audiophile sound effects samplers have some gems in it.

Particularly impressive is a recording of 7 bottle of beers opened at 2 seconds interval. On a good system, you can pinpoint the exact location of the beer bottles relative to each others with a 0.01 inch of accuracy thanks to the marvelous and exclusive minimalist recording techniques of Hector-Ungt Itsberengord a genius amongst the geniuses.

I won't mention the exquisite details of this stellar recording as you can almost tell by the sound which are Pilsner and which are Ale. The botle of "Maudite" is pretty easy to spot as it sounds a little bit sparkling due to the lower gaz content. I can't get tired of this excellent recording and it's the first thing I put to impress the people coming for an audition of my system at my place.

Herr Hector-Ungt Itsberengord recorded some other really nice tracks on "Sounds like you've never heard before" (on I-can't-believe-it's-not-butter Records).

My other favorite piece from him is outstanding. It's a recording of fingers typing on a keyboard. To say that this is another stellar exemple of pin point imaging is an understatement. To tell you how precise it is, just know that my mother, who is a secretary, was able to deduct what was the text just from hearing the fingers location. The message said:

"Who cares about music anyway, we're in it for sound reproduction! Right?"

I am forwarding my address to you. Please send at once!

Let me know what I owe. I will check my system to see if it compares. I am expecting good results but still unsure how you can tell Pilsner from Ale. I think my system when running SET with the best NOS valve variants might be able to distinguish a heavy stout from a pale ale but this would not equal your system's amazing quality. It must be the HORUS! Or maybe it's the Lamhorns and that single, point source driver. Whatever, I am jealous. I will work on my system this eve. Patience will win!

On another note, I recorded my friend's shotguns, both fired at .02 intervals, 8 feet apart with the second 10 gauge 6 feet to rear of stage with two cardioids arranged as an ORTF pair, their capsules 7" apart and angled at 115 degrees. (ORTF cardioids give a relatively limited amplitude-defined soundstage, with only about 10dB of channel separation, but the time delay between the two channels, due to the spacing, gives a time-defined stereo image that reinforces the amplitude-defined image.)

I can report stellar results! This is a GREAT thing to test front to back layering, dynamics, and width placement. Luckily I was there to know what the "real thing" sounds like. I also know what the real thing does as it took $275 to repaif the two foot sized holes in the wall and ceiling respectively. One has to make sacrifices for ART.

kh

You win the golden ears award!!! I've tried and tried to listen as carefully as I can to this incredible recording over the many years I've enjoyed owning both the LP and CD (and once a tape as well, but that was years ago . .) but I just cant seem to hear the difference between the different bottles. All of the "plop---fsssssssh" sounds are so darn similar to these ears as to be indistinguishable from one another. But on track two ("The Pouring of the Brew") I can absolutely tell the ale from the pilsner due to the amount of time it takes to pour the liquid---the extra gas in the pilsner allows for a much more leisurely pour and this comes through LOUD and CLEAR on my system--so relaxed, so confident.

Dear K,

As you know everything is a compromise. My Lamhorns can easily distinguish besides Ale and Pilsner (providing the recorded source is good that is) but it will never approach the marvelous bass slam your CW will give you on this double gun shot recording of yours. My Lampoofs being somewhat anemic in the LF department. I'd really like to hear my recording of the "Launch of the Space Shuttle". This is quite impressive, especially on the added bonus track where they did add the canons of the 1812 Overture in the background. I nearly reached sonic Nirvana when I added a sub but the integration wasn't perfect so I barely play this track anymore. But the "beer bottles" you have to hear!

I am not sure that the CD I refered to is still available. Though there is probably enough real audiophiles out there to know what real quality is when reproduced in 3D in front of them. So it may be still in print. No matter what I'll send you a copy. Be prepare to know what a good recording is...

Allan, I know you have multiple copies of many of your favorite works. Could you please do a check to see if you have copies on vinyl? I would take a second pressing if done on quality material. I just conferred with Jeff and he only has this on CD. To me, digital might be some of the problem from my end. I am working on an air bladder placed on a dampened glass shelf, this in turn on top of three precisely matched teak wood cones. Still, I having problems with this "confidence" you refer to.

IT will be interesting to compare the vinyl and digital samples. I am already getting thirsty from the MENTAL image. Cant wait for the AUDIO!

kh

ps- Jeff, thank you for your prompt reply and the copy. Sadly, I dont have a copy of this Space Shuttle launch either. Where are you finding these excellent works? I do have the Telarc 1812 and play it when the mood strikes. I have now made an EXACT duplicate through my DELL computer that EQUALS fidelity, except I deleted all the other mess and just have the cannon fire! IT IS AWESSOME!

----------------

On 9/2/2003 11:05:36 AM kuisis wrote:

Can your system detect the suble differences between say La fin du Mon and an Eau Benite?

----------------

Late at night when the junk of the AC line is gone I'd probably can...

If not I'll rely on my taste buds!

Were you ever told that you look like Erik Mandaville?

----------------

On 9/2/2003 11:02:30 AM mobile homeless wrote:

ps- Jeff, thank you for your prompt reply and the copy. Sadly, I dont have a copy of this Space Shuttle launch either. Where are you finding these excellent works?

----------------

As you know I often help Robert Lamarre from Tenor Audio/RL Acoustique with his room at the Montreal Audio Show each March. So I often picked up forgotten CDs left by enthusiatic audio guys that wanted to know how their favorite recordings sounded on the exposed gear. Except for Holy Coal and Patricia Barber I usually obliged their request. To say I learned a lot about audiophiles during these show is an understatement.

Jeff, I know of what you speak. Reason? I think I left several of my Stereophile TEst CDs at the 96 CES while in the Wilson room. I am wondering who is enjoying these excellent recordings right now! Thankfully, I was able to order ALL the CDs along with the latest EDITORS CHOICE sampler with the BEST HITS of the originals. AGain, like most best hits releases, it is much better as it leaves out some of the junk.

Have you the excellent music from Sarah K on Stereophile volume II or III? There is a part when I swear you almost SEE the spittle on her beautiful lips! IT was not until I procured my triode wired EL-34 amp that I first heard that she actually sang a few lines with said spittle still there, almost until the first break. IF you have the disk, please forward to the 2:57 mark. You will hear it very faintly... At the 3:24 mark, it appears as if she has either wiped it away or licked it off quickly. Audrey says she thinks she used her SLEEVE but I dont think so. She has some good ears though.

Anyway, I understand and consider you LUCKY to reap the rewards of careless audiophiles! Please consider forwarding the Space Shuttle or copying it onto the first CD of the excellent Pilsner recording.

kh

Well boys, I MIGHT just have an extra copy or two of the LP on hand! I won't part with my original pressing (deep-groove, one side only with the ABUSCH-1A and ABUSCH-1B scratched in the dead wax--later pressings had no deep-groove and the stamping in the dead wax was by "macnine"). I think I have one late pressing and perhaps an early 90's Japanese issue (with the obi and insert!) I might want to part with. Let me take a look when I get home tonight and get back to you!

Allan, my hat is off to you; I just dont know how you find all this stuff and still regain any semblance of a life. Frankly put, you are amazing! Put me front row and center for that Japanese Pressing if Jeff doesnt get to you first!

You know, you have sent me some great vinyl, from the likes of Art Pepper to Helen Merrill, but this would be right up there in the sonics department, something that I find both intriguing and intellectually edifying; it's not often you get GREAT sound with stimulating content, material that is meant to challenge both man and machine, honing and pefecting your senses to an ultra-fine level.

My system, ears, imagination, and SOUL say, "THANKS, ALLAN! YOURE ONE OF A KIND!"

Regards, your East Coast compatriot,

Kelly

When I want to show of the (albeit somewhat limited) imaging characteristics of my system I always put on ...

arico.jpg

I'm sure Kelly and Allan are already familar with his enormous talents, but for those who haven't heard him, copy and paste the link below. Then click on the album cover.

http://home.nyc.rr.com/brux/AOC/aoc1.html

Regards,

Chris

Chris, thanks for sharing this! It always makes me feel great when we can share things on this wonderful forum, a forum that has heart and giving us some faith in Man. Good job and WELL-DONE!

Unfortunately, I am afraid that some of the more computer challenged might be left head scratching to all those commands in your post; therefore, I have elected to post a DIRECT LINK to the piece that one can click to hear right from this post!

Please click below - Must have RealPlayer.

"Baby On The Way" by Tom Arico

Nice grab, Chris!

kh

ps- Imaging comes through on DELL with H/K Sound Spectacular (w/ SUB). BTW, are you sure that isnt Raif Fiennes?

UPDATE! I am sorry to report this recording DOES NOT IMAGE WELL via CW, 6SN7 pre, and Digital amp! I dont know if system is to blame or my EXACT duplicate. Perhaps it is from MP3 to 16bit/44.1. Whatever, it appears as if Tom's vocals are not doing well on several fronts. The image seem to float from one side to the other, not totally wall to wall, but a slight drifting to right of initial image. I did not catch this on my DELL at first, but it WAS revealed on my high resolution system. Chris, are you picking up on this? Further listening will be required but for now NOT RECOMMENDED. Sorry Chris.

Chris, I must admit, I am totally confused now! I just ran off a dub of Carmine Albano and this is no better, although the drifting is now from the front to back! STRANGE. ARE you hearing this on your excellent system?

I am considering dubbing multiple copies to perhaps send out to Jeff, Allan, and Craig... Maybe a few others like prodj101.

I want to have a comparison on the imaging capability of these works on various setups. If I keep the energy, I have considered making my own "BEST OF IMAGING" CD with Pilsner, Shuttle, and The King Collection as it will be known. Others under consideration as well. The "King Collection" would be for comparison purposes, of course.

Any ideas appreciated! LEt this forum work for ALL!

kh

----------------

On 9/2/2003 12:55:09 PM Chris King wrote:

I'm sure Kelly and Allan are already familar with his enormous talents, but for those who haven't heard him, copy and paste the link below. Then click on the album cover.

Regards,

Chris

----------------

Not sure about this recording either. I'll concur with Kelly here. They must have used compressors on the instruments as I don't really feel the air between the players.

The beat is an infectuous groove though!

I wish they would have used a minimalistic recording technique as I definitively feel something is not natural here.