New Alternative Music...I need Help

cluless

OK so I need help in alot of other ways too...but that needs another day

Here's my problem... I'm the only person that I know that really listens to the music that I listen to...Alternative Rock/Rock/Punk/some Emo/no rap/no hiphop.

I've picked up some really good music recently, but I'm always on the prowl for new music/bands.

Here's what I've bought recently that I have really liked, so suggestions along these lines are great. Seriously, I usually just follow Amazon threads to connect (pretty lame, but you do what you gotta do) so any new ideas are really welcome

Cold

Trapt

Ra ...

a little less recently

Audioslave

Queens of the Stone Age

12 Stones

Oh and while I'm at it...Synth, Do you have any new movie suggestions? I like your unusual picks

1.gif

Wow ClU I never thought I would be able to give you music advice!

Here are four different albums that I think you would like!

1) Massive Attack:

No Protection: Massive Attack Vs. Mad Professor

I bought this album after listening to the last track of

The Moulin Rouge soundtrack, Massive attack did the sound for that track. It is a syntho-rave thing.

2) Dead Man, The sound track. When I watched the movie (insert movie suggestion here) the soundtrack stuck out! It is by Neil Young, I dont know if you heard much of him, but his style of guitar playing is a little unique. The album plays some of the dialog also which adds to the attraction of the album. I used to have this as my wake up music on the bed side boom box alarm clock.

3) Patrick Moraz: Story of i. One of my fave ever albums ever! Patrick Moraz was the keyboard player for Yes and Moody blues. This is a story album, it tells a story throughout the album. The original liner had detailed notes on each tracks instruments, the effect desired etc

4) Tool: Undertow I like rock and roll, and for modern heavy music, I think that Undertow is excellent rock and roll. I like the music, but I wont go camping with there boys!

Hi cluless! I have to say that I wouldn't really call that list of bands "alternative" but what the hey. Here are some of my fav things as of late(not all new):

Rilo Kiley-The Execution Of All Things

The Beta Band-3 EPs

Neutral Milk Hotel-In The Aeroplane Over The Sea

Japancakes-Belmondo

Peace Orchestra-Peace Orchestra

Plug-Drum 'n' Bass For Papa

Don Cabellero-For Respect

Misfits-Box Set

John Fahey-Yellow Pricess

Built To Spill-various cds

Sleater Kinney-All Hands On The Bad One

Ravonettes-EP

Mullholland Drive soundtrack

That Massive Attack vs Mad Professor is a GREAT reggae/dub album with Tracy Thorn's(Everything But The Girl) voice skewered beyond belief

Adrian Sherwood-Never Trust A Hippie

Film:

I really enjoyed Home Movie. The same director of American Movie. If you like Extreme Homes and weird people this is for you.

Have you seen any Miyazaki films? He did Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Castle In The Sky & Kiki's Delivery Service. Good stuff!

Try to locate a cool video store and rent any of the TV Carnage stuff and check out their website. GREAT GREAT GREAT clips and trailers from the worst of what tv and film has to offer. Uttlerly fascinating look at everything from footage of Fabio when that goose hit him in the head. Bloody. To this guy lighting farts and shooting at least 1 foot flames for at least 5 seconds out of his Chatahoochie Canal. 2 hours of fun.

Scratch. This could possibly change your whole outlook on the DJ as a musician. Awesome documentary on turntablists.

Hands On Hard Body.

Little Otik or anything you can find on Jan Svankmajer. Very cool and surreal stop-motion weirdness.

Brothers Quay collection. Remember that creepy Tool video with the little puppet guys? This is who the ripped off.

Dario Argento's Suspiria.

Fellini's 8 1/2.

Luis Bunuel's Exterminating Angel.

I'll throw out a few suggestions:

30 Seconds to Mars

Chevelle - Wonder What's Next (you probably already have this one, but who knows, maybe not)

Year of the Rabbit

My Vitriol - Fine Lines

John Frusciante - To Record Only Water for Ten Days (gitarist from Chilli Peppers. Definitely "different")

And I know I recommended them before, but

Cave In!!

Try: Tides of Tomorrow (It's a pretty cheap EP, amazon.com has it brand new under the new/used for $4.75)

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=CASS80305242342&sql=B1xkku3ejan7k

Well...

The new Radiohead is one of the best albums in years (saw them in Aug...best.show.ever.)

Other than that, there's the new band called The Mars Volta....Totally great stuff. It's the old members of At the Drive-In with Flea on bass. Heard it the other night and was blown away. Planning on picking it up today!!!!

And, of course, there's Tool. But they have nothing new for now...

For something a little different, try California Guitar Trio. Awesome acoustic trio who play everything from classical to surf tunes to progressive originals. The new one CG3+2 has Tony Levin on bass and Pat Masteletto on drums.

Interpol (post punkish)

Bouncing Souls (punkish)

Get Up Kids (punk/emo mix)

The New Amsterdams (Acoustic Emo/rock)

lisa germano

God Speed You Black Emperor!

The Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra and Tra-la-la Band

Sigur Ros

Dashboard confessional (New album takes some getting used to, but ends up stuck in my head for days on end)

Tripping Daisy

Polyphonic Spree - (Music in the Ipod/VW commercial)

The Shins

Sleater-Kinney (Girl band that rocks)

Rainer Maria (Another girl singer, pure indie goodness)

Ida (indie)

Saves the Day (whiny emo, it grows on you)

Yellow Card (Emo with a violin, listen to a clip of October Nights, awesome)

-----

Edited to change brackets to parens so my comments/styles dont get hidden in formatting!

Also fixed Yellow Card to reflect the bands actual name:)

• Like 1

----------------

On 9/7/2003 12:12:38 PM mkl wrote:

Interpol -post punkish

Bouncing Souls -punkish

Get Up Kids -punk/emo mix

The New Amsterdams -Acoustic Emo/rock

lisa germano

God Speed You Black Emperor!

The Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra and Tra-la-la Band

Sigur Ros

Dashboard confessional -New album takes some getting used to, but ends up stuck in my head for days on end

Tripping Daisy

Polyphonic Spree - Music in the Ipod/VW commercial

The Shins

Sleater-Kinney -Girl band that rocks

Rainer Maria -Another girl singer, pure indie goodness

Ida -indie

Saves the Day -whiny emo, it grows on you

Yellow -Emo with a violin, listen to a clip of October Nights, awesome

----------------

2.gif

Okay, this is why I go fishing on the forum for new music instead of using internet radio etc-which to me is worthless.

Firstly and most importantly, the folks here have come with winning suggestions in the past!!! I listen to just about everything that is suggested and then pick and choose.

Then there is the fact that I can't pick up diddly from home on the radio. I put a radio amp in the mix and picked up noise on the speakers. Hell I can't even get cell phone service. "Can you hear me now? Can you hear me now?????" Nope! NOT HERE.

On my way to work in the morning, all I get is jock/shock/bull**** radio.

Also, with all new music, alot of the initial exposure is regional. I never heard much from Canadian bands like Our Lady Peace and Nickleback when I lived in Texas.

So whatever you guys offer as suggestions is highly regarded. Even if it isn't my cup of hemlock at the time.

THANKS SO MUCH.1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif

I`m going to give you the last word Cluless. This group has given you some great suggestions.

INTERPOL: Great first release. The #1 first buy on this list.

SHINS: Just buy it. A must have.

SIGUR ROS: They sing in a made up language. Beautiful is an understatement. The first time I heard this band, I was alone in the car. I cried. NO! Really!

BLACK REBEL MOTORCYCLE CLUB: The darkest and most rocking on this list besides Interpol. They wear black leather. Say so more.

RADIOHEAD: You must own it all! The keepers of today. PERIOD!

These bands are all under the radar even on some college radio except for Radiohead. My list is much longer but this is a great start. Buy one of the above and you will smile.1.gif I promise.16.gif

Ok, I will give you two of my favorites, even though these are nothing like what others have been suggesting.

Jason Mraz - "Live at Java Joes" and "Waiting for My Rocket to Come"

I have met Jason personally, I even have his cellphone number, we talk ocassionally. He is a great guy and an amazing singer. I hope that he puts out a live albumn. His vocal range, while not tested much on either of these albums, is astonishing. In the midst of singing "You and I Both", Jason broke out with "I am Beautiful" from Christina Aquilera. He not only can hit the high notes in that song, he can pretty much, if not exceed, bring them up and octave, and sound amazing doing so. I was awestruck. He can pretty much impersonate any singer, did quite a variety that night as he, spur of the moment, got the idea to do it. Don't forget to actually listen to his lyrics. He is one of those artists a that actually say something in the music. You will get it in three layers.

1. This song is fun, fast tempo, great voice and talented instrumentals.

2. This guy is funny, did he just say what I think he said?

3. Oh, so that is what this song means, wow, that... wow.

Sheila Nicholls - "Wake" and "Breif Stop".

Once again, a minority in loving her music. I have posted a pretty decent review of her in the past. A very mellow voice, 2 steps away from Norah Jones, and a message behind every song. Guarenteed to make a bad day decent. Depression is a nasty thing, music helps and Sheila Nicholls is like a double-shot of Effexor, makes you calm and sends you to a place of peace. That is a very weird analogy, I realize that, but she calms me like nothing else. Her piano playing abilities and talented composition of instruments from bongo's to synthesizers is superb. Her voice can become edgy at times, something that really shows on Klipsch speakers, but she recovers with the throaty jumps and note extensions.

• 3 weeks later...

wow...this was fun...

On the CD front, About 8 of the bands/suggestions offered, I already had. About 8 or 10 were new that I purchased in round one (I'm not done yet), and not a loser in the bunch.

I'm just going to mention the unusual stuff here...

Two interesting notes, just because they were so far from mainstream, were the Mars Volta(the creamed lice CD) and the Sigur Ros(not the one titled ()). I don't know a single person that I could even suggest listening to either of these. But the Mars Volta was in a word FASCINATING. The Sigur Ros was interesting, but I'm not going to rush out and learn Icelandic...

On the Movie front...Synth strikes again with his frigging subtitled movies...Blast the Guy! I generally do more than one thing at once, so subtitles become a pain in the posterier. Well anyway, Little Otik, is funny, dark, totally strange and compelling. I LOVED IT...so I had to buy Alice, maybe Faust is next.

Guest Webmaster

The best band I've come across in the last couple of years is Coheed and Cambria (it's just one band, some of my friends thought I was talking about two bands initially). Their first cd, The Second Stage Turbine Blade is amazing. I've had it for about a year now and it's the only cd I've bought in the last five years that I've listened to nearly daily and have never once gotten burned out on it. They have a new album, In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3, coming out next week and it's even better than the first one. I've been listening to it almost non-stop for about a week now and I can't get enough.

It's hard to describe this band musically, but it falls in the rock/punk/emo realm. Some of the music is kind of pop-punk, but one guitar is always doing really weird and interesting leads over those parts and the songs aren't structured in such a straight forward way like typical pop-punk bands. The vocalist has really high vocals, which sound really cool. Overall, they are all very good musicians. One of the cool things about them is that the lyrics are all one scifi story that's supposed to continue across three albums. If you check them out, give them a few listens before you decide anything. I liked it immediately, but it wasn't until the third listen that I realized how amazing that cd is. Several other people I know were the same way with that band. Check them out: Coheed and Cambria.