Which Floorstander is best for classical?

jazzpianist

good move on the klf 7 just looking over your sig, i can see that your weak points are the reference 3 stuff it is not on par with the rest of your speaks, the weakest point being the rs's, plus timbre wont quite be right, if you are happy with the klf gear go with all klf series, best to not mix and match. but your sub is excellent12.gif

jazzpianist,

The RF7's are great for a wide range of musical tastes and like any good loudspeakers would be.

However I take my Dynaudio Contour 3.3's over RF7's by a wide margin when listening to Jazz,Blues,Classical or even electronica new age.Were the RF7's shine is HT and electronica with piledriving bass lines,the RF7's defines defined bass and clean.

I think RF5 would be a great alternative to RF7's,I compared them after my purchase with RF7's and if you listen less to pop,metal or electronic the RF5's are great speakers.Me I ended up using RF5's as side sourrounds.1.gif

Thanks for everyone's great info. This forum is something I've wanted for a while, I just hope I can give some good info in the future.

Question- The Klipschorns and La Scalas seem to be amazing speakers; however, I imagine they must be missing some clarity/imaging that some newer models have. Is this true? What's the scoop?

Secondly, does anyone else agree that the RF-5's may be a good choice as well? Thanks again.

I'm with Vladi on this, the only advantage of the RF-5s is/was the cabinet veneer type. RF3 use to come in only black and you had to go to the RF5s to get cherry, maple, etc veneer. The tweeter is the same between the two but the crossover is slightly different, not enough to demand the higher price, IMHO. I have been VERY VERY happy with my RF3s playing classical music (once I upgraded my pre/pro), they can sound fantastic if setup right. If you have a LARGE room, move up to the RF-7s. Overall, I would say that the RF7s sound a bit more natural the RF3s. Most ppl have fallen in love with the klipsch sound when they purchased the RF3s and soon upgraded to the RF7s because more of a good thing must be better. Rarely has anyone ever upgraded the RF3s to RF5s.

Get the RF7s, if you can afford them, other wise get the RF3s. Finally, SETUP SETUP SETUP is critical to the enjoyment of the Klipsch and good electronics also helps.

-Dave

I agree that the K-Horns are the ultimate. If you're in that size of horns, Tannoy Westminester and JBL Hartfields, and EV Patricians are probably in the same boat. Very pricy.

In a more conventional size, I love my Forte II. The Chorus II must be good too, though I've not heard them.

On the other hand, it is fair to point out that Cornwalls are pretty consistently getting rave reviews for all types of music over a course of decades. Something must be right.

So, if you want a lasting, mainstream investment, Cornwalls may well be the way to go. They are pretty much the Steinway of conventional floorstanders. I have a lot of faith in the Forte II, nonethe less.

Gil

I'll go along with the K-horn as the best, but you have to have the space for them. I certainly love mine. But, if you don't have the room, the Chorus II/Forte II/Quartet line is damn good. I would rate them in that order, and I have heard all three, with the first two living in my HT. Chorus II is just a bit better in midrange/high than the Forte II, and I'll take that over the slightly better bottom end of the Forte II. Quartet is a fine speaker, but you just get less of everything.

Cornwall is another excellent speaker, and I'd be happy to have a pair of those, but they are much bigger than the Chorus II and so if space is at a premium, you may be hard pressed to squeeze the CW's in. But all of these speakers are very good for classical.