Tribute to Warren Zevon - Another Great One Passes

garymd

----------------

On 9/8/2003 10:59:39 PM garymd wrote:

Dave Letterman just gave a nice tribute. Warren appeared on his show about 15 times and filled in for PS quite a few times. A little later in the show they're going to play a tape of his last appearance from Oct 02. Tune in now on the east coast. PS is playing all WZ during the show tonight also.

----------------

Caught it last night. Beautiful. You could hear it all in his voice.

Gary,

It was in the middle of the movie. Cruse was showing off in a crowded pool hall. He was twirlling the cue stick around like a kung fu weapon between shots.

Found the CD and sure enough. Warren Zevon - Werewolves of London. My kid loves that tune. For weeks, after we saw the movie, he would say to everybody: "I'd like to meet your tailor." Of course the actual line is, "I'd like to meet his tailor". Anyway, I'm not sure I know what this song is all about. Any ideas?

Other artist on the CD: MCA Records MCAD-6189

Don Henley

Eric Clapton

Robert Palmer

Willie Dixon

Mark Knopfler

BB King

Robbie Robertson

----------------

On 9/9/2003 11:34:45 AM boomac wrote:

Anyway, I'm not sure I know what this song is all about. Any ideas?

----------------

Well, boomac, I can't say that I have any inside knowledge, but I've always thought that "Werewolves of London" was a cynical send-up of the foppish British gigolo/"gentleman" who dresses impeccably and is impeccably groomed, but who is an amoral, ruthless conman who preys on lonely women ("Little old lady got mutilated late last night") and who will smile to your face while he shanks you in the back ("He'll rip you lungs out, Jim"), then goes to Trader Vic's for a pina colada. Of course, I could be totally wrong and it could be a fantasy about werewolves who roam the British urban landscape.

1.gif

I believe you're right on Geo1. Tom Cruise was a pool hustler that was extremely personable but not bothered, at all, by taking your last cent. It would seem Martin Scorsese picked the perfect song for that particular scene. Anyway, great song done by a great writer and artist. "Huh, I'd like to meet his tailor."

I went home with a waitress,

the way I always do.

How was I to know,

she was with the Russians too.

I was gambling in Havana.

I took a little risk.

Send lawyers, guns and money.

Get me out of this.

I'm the innocent bystander.

Somehow I got stuck

between a rock and a hard place

and I'm down on my luck.

I'm hiding in Honduras.

I'm a desperate man.

Send lawyers, guns and money.

The sh!t has hit the fan.

Listened to my favorite WZ song this morning so I thought I'd share these lyrics.

From the liner notes of "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead (An Anthology): My friend Burt Stein (who was also my A&R man at Asylum records) and I were on vacation in Kauai, Hawaii. We were riding past the cane fields with a young woman whose acquaintance I'd made the previous evening and she was taking us to a friend's "plantation house." She mentioned sort of off-handedly that her friend wasn't home; that we might, in fact, have to break in. I turned to Burt. "Dear Joe," I said, thinking of Joe smith, the president of the record company, "Send lawyers." "And guns," Burt added. I said, "And money."

Gary: Actually, I was going to comment that it would be a scream (no pun intended) to hear the Dead do Werewolves. You have it downloaded? I would be eternally grateful (again, no pun intended) for a copy. Of course, I would gladly pay any costs involved. How is the best way to do it?

Geo,

I only have it on tape and I'll have to do a major search for it. Luckily almost all my Dead tapes are in one place so it shouldn't be that big a deal. It's not a great recording but pretty good as far as Dead bootlegs recorded in the 70s go as you probably know (I have about 300 and only listen to them in the car). I'll tape it for you and send it in the mail. Email me your address and I'll get it to you as soon as I find it.

----------------

On 9/11/2003 2:39:48 PM 3dzapper wrote:

I picked up "Excitable Boy" at the Salvation Army. Very nice, excellently produced by Jackson Browne.

Rick

----------------

They've also been in the bargain bins at a lot of stores. I saw it for $8.99 at Best Buy the other day. I'd like to find the lp though.

Warren Zevon was one of those singer songwriters in the `70`s that made music that never quiet got the recognition that Neil Young,Jackson Browne,the Eagles or CSN did. Warren was dark. Very dark. He was writing songs about death long before his illness which is oh so ironic. He traveled in the same crowd as mentioned but just followed his own beacon. Every artist has a hit that people know them by. "Werewolves Of London" was not a curse. He had other FM hits also, "Excitable Boy","Jenny Needs A Shooter","Lawyers,Guns and Money". Warren was writing songs that he felt. On his records he had big names for good reason. He was special. A star in his own universe. If you were on a Zevon record you were in a unique group. To be on a Zevon record said you are blessed to know him or blessed to be asked. Tonight on a local college radio station they did a 2 hour dedication to Warren. WOW! If you listen to this show you would understand the wow-ness of my statement. Who would even think this young DJ new who Warren Zevon was? And he plays nothing but Warren Zevon during his 2 hour set and took phone calls from me and others taking requests. Dave Letterman`s tribute was not a fluke. This guy was one of a king. That`s a type-o. I meant one of a kind. But he was a king at what he did. The only one at what he did. The ONLY one!