Heresy vs. Academy for Center w/Cornwalls?

texas42

I've been watching the ebay bidding wars for Academys' and wonder (considering bang for the buck) if a single Heresy might be as good a match as the academy for HT with a pair of Cornwall I's. Any comments? Considering the Heresy is also from the Heritage line, I would imagine their 'voicing' and timbre are close to the Cornwalls. Also, considering a pair of Heresys probably cost less than a single Academy, I wonder what the trade offs would be? Lastly, if there is anyone else out there with a similar dilemma (have a pair of Heritage speakers and looking for a center), would you want to buy the second Heresy after I find a pair?

Regards,

Dave

Knowledgable forum members have expressed that a Heresy fits better for music. If the set-up is for HT, however, and specifically dialog, then the Academy is a better match. You should to talk to garymd before making a decision. He's been through this and will have much insight for you.

I will second what Malcom said.

I would chose a Heresy any day over an Academy for both music or Dialog.

To answer bkrop's question. They use the same K77 tweeters and K55 midrange drivers. But the squawker horn in the CornW is the K600, bottoms out at 600hz and the Heresy uses the K700, bottoms out at 700hz. Not that much difference as you can see.

JM

Maybe I have different ears than everyone else but I like the academy's voice reproduction better than my heresy 1 which wasn't as clear to my ears. I didn't get the same breathiness with the heresy. Music is a whole different story but that's what I heard. I a/b'd them extensively BTW and there's nothing wrong with my heresys as far as working condition. Just MHO.1.gif I don't listen to much 5.1 music so all I was concerned with were movies.

And yes, the academy fits better also.

I have tried the C7 but not the Academy. About 6 months ago I had a mint Academy in Oak about to be sent to me for $425 dlvd and I bought a pair of Walnut Heresys instead. Given the price of the Academy now I wish I would have bought the Academy but I'm happy with the Heresy sound. I didn't like the match or performance of the C7. I have had my Heresy center inverted for several months and now that I moved my HT along with "long" wall I had to put it on the side and I think I like this better in my room which is a bit odd with pitched roof...see pic. I'm pretty happy with the Cornwall I and Hesesy center integration in the attached photo.

I'm running an Outlaw 1050 for HT I other than wishing it had Dolby PL II and the new EX formats the sound is wonderful and I don't have a motivation to buy one of those $4,000 pre/pro & amp setups. Maybe if I tried one but for HT I've been really pleased with the 1050. I run vintage tubes for 2-channel.

PS...I live in Dallas (Flower Mound) if you want to hear it.

post-10144-13819249126716_thumb.jpg

texas42, You have gotten a couple different opinions and they come from knowledgable guys. Garymd and I have similar taste so I might side with him on this topic. j-malotky is sure worth listening to so I suggest you try like heck to preview both. Please note that debates like this have kept me thinking about what to do if I decide to incorporate my Forte IIs in the HT. I may yet have a custom center built with Forte II guts. I'll just use a pair of 8" or 10" woofers and try and get the sensitivity as close as possible. Something else to think about!

Lots of interesting comments. I thought about bidding on the two Academys for sale on ebay today and notice both went for over $500. I think the most logical approach will be to start with the Heresys, given their lower investment, and see how they perform first. Hopefully, they will be a good 'fit'.

I have already tried the KLF-C7, and while wonderful with my KLF-20s when I had them, did not match up well with my Cornwalls, IMO. Not sure if the newer RC3-IIs or RC-7 would fare any better than the KLF-C7 with the Cornwalls.

Now, is there anyone out there with ONE Heresy for sale? 1.gif

Regards,

Dave

Scott,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Most disagree with me on this subject.

Texas,

Just buy 2 heresys. They're inexpensive and you can always find alternative uses if you don't like it at center. My guess is you could probably end up selling the other pretty easily either here or on ebay. I'll bet you $10 that once you get 2 you won't want to sell the other.2.gif

----------------

On 9/13/2003 11:24:13 PM texas42 wrote:

Lots of interesting comments. I thought about bidding on the two Academys for sale on ebay today and notice both went for over $500. I think the most logical approach will be to start with the Heresys, given their lower investment, and see how they perform first. Hopefully, they will be a good 'fit'.

I have already tried the KLF-C7, and while wonderful with my KLF-20s when I had them, did not match up well with my Cornwalls, IMO. Not sure if the newer RC3-IIs or RC-7 would fare any better than the KLF-C7 with the Cornwalls.

Now, is there anyone out there with ONE Heresy for sale?
1.gif

Regards,

Dave

----------------

Dave -

I am using an Industrial Heresy II Ported for my center channel with my Cornwalls. It is an excellent match. I live in Plano if you want to take listen. Also take a look at my web page for how I mounted it as well as system pics.

Buy 2 Heresys then you have one for your rear surround also :)

Laters,

I can assure you that the RC3-II will not match up with Cornwalls. I have tried it with my Forte IIs & Quartets and it has trouble keeping up with them. Try the Heresy route but buy a pair. If one works, you can probably sell the other and if that isn't what you're looking for, you could always use them as surrounds or sell them.

----------------

On 9/13/2003 11:44:10 PM boomac wrote:

I can assure you that the RC3-II will not match up with Cornwalls. I have tried it with my Forte IIs & Quartets and it has trouble keeping up with them. Try the Heresy route but buy a pair. If one works, you can probably sell the other and if that isn't what you're looking for, you could always use them as surrounds or sell them.

----------------

I also had to sell my RC3. Not even close. My heresys now have downstairs system duties. They are a great all pupose speaker. If I had room for them they would be my surrounds. The RS3s do fine though.

Let me elaborate a bit on my previous post of why I would prefer the Heresy. I have found that the best center channel speakers are ones that blend seamlessly into your mains. Having the same Timbre is a must. With that in mind, Craig is right, another Cornwall or Chorus would be the best choise. Three of the same speakers accross the front of your HT is by far the best solution. But I am answering the question posted on this thread assuming there is a size limitation of the poster like most people have. In that case the Heresy is best match IMO.

Its true that some DVD's are mixed oddly and are hard to hear the dialog. I would prefer to boost the vocals on the processor leaving the speakers perfectly matched giving seamless / transparent soundstage for the properly mastered titles.

JM

----------------

On 9/14/2003 9:28:53 AM j-malotky wrote:

Let me elaborate a bit on my previous post of why I would prefer the Heresy. I have found that the best center channel speakers are ones that blend seamlessly into your mains. Having the same Timbre is a must. With that in mind, Craig is right, another Cornwall or Chorus would be the best choise. Three of the same speakers accross the front of your HT is by far the best solution. But I am answering the question posted on this thread assuming there is a size limitation of the poster like most people have. In that case the Heresy is best match IMO.

Its true that some DVD's are mixed oddly and are hard to hear the dialog. I would prefer to boost the vocals on the processor leaving the speakers perfectly matched giving seamless / transparent soundstage for the properly mastered titles.

JM

----------------

I agree with this statement as well. Perhaps it is because my Heresy is the ported industrial verison but many people have commented on the fact that the intergration is seemless and I have no problem whatsoever with vocals.

If you are placing the Heresy on top of a big *** TV I have found that the best sound results with the tweeters next to the TV (upside down from normal placement). Additionally the speaker must be angled down such that the tweeters are pointed at you. This insures that the directional mid and high frequencies are pointed at you and not above your head. If you do this you will not have issues with voices etc..

Also the RC-3 with the Cornwalls = dog doodoo. I had this combo and the difference is unbelievable with a Heresy. There really is no comparision.

Laters,