Thanks John Albright

Woodog

I'd want to jump in here with an echo of appreciation for Jon Albright. Aside from helping me discover DK, in following old threads for research and learning, his posts are consistently well written and helpful. I figured out what I needed to do in adding a sub to La Scalas from reading some of his stuff and have had pleasing results.

On DK, that Live In Paris album is perhaps the best thing I've heard live. amazing. It would be interesting to see the gear and engineers work to get it dialed in right. My wife isn't nearly as impressed as I am, guess that's a gender thing. But reflecting on that, is it really a surprise that wives don't especially get off on listening to a beautiful and gifted (how many torch singers can sing AND accompany themselves on piano???) woman singing about love and fun. Well, OTOH that's o.k., I can't stand chick flicks. When my girls go out to rent a DVD and ask, "Dad, what should we get for you.?" I say, "Oh, just pick up anything where lots of stuff gets blown up!!!"

9.gif

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 9/15/2003 8:54:36 AM DaddyDee wrote:

I can't stand chick flicks. When my girls go out to rent a DVD and ask, "Dad, what should we get for you.?" I say, "Oh, just pick up anything where lots of stuff gets blown up!!!"

9.gif

----------------

LOL! I'm the same way. When I brought home XXX, my wife couldn't believe it. I think she would have been mad if she could have stopped laughing.

I'll have to get that "Live in Paris" CD. I almost bought it about 3 times. Isn't it on DVD also?

----------------

On 9/14/2003 7:09:59 PM Allan Songer wrote:

No disrespect to Krall and Cole, but if you want to hear some REALLY GOOD female jazz vocals try these! I've left off anything that isn't "Hi-Fi" so don't worry about bad sound.

Helen Merrill "Helen Merrill" on Emarcy

Helen Merrill "Dream of You" Emarcy

Chris Connor "Chirs Connor" Atlantic

Chris Connor "Live at the Village Gate" Atlantic

Sarah Vaughn "Sarah Vaughn" Emarcy

Sarah Vaughn "No Count Sarah" Mercury

Anita O'Day "Pick Yourself Up" Verve

Anita O'Day "Sings the Most" Verve

Billie Holiday "Songs for Disingue Lovers" Verve

Billie Holiday "All or Nothing At All" Verve

Helen Carr "Down at the Depths of the 90th Floor" Bethlehem

Joy Bryan "Make the Man Love Me" Contemporary

Helen Humes "Songs I Like to Sing" Contemporary

Betty Carter "The Modern Sound" ABC Paramount

Abbey Lincoln "Straight Ahead" Candid

Carmen McRae "The Great American Songbook" Atlantic

Well, that's enough to get you started. I guarantee that EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE RECORDS IS BETTER THAN ANYTHING YOUR HAVE HEARD from Krall and Cole and Barber and . . .

----------------

Greetings:

For those of us that like Cole and Krall, we shall take your list under advisement.

Thanks,

Win dodger

"Alright, now don't anyone do anything drastic, and this might even be common knowledge for all I know, but I read the other day that Diana Krall is engaged to Elvis Costello!  Engaged in what?, you say. Well, engaged to be married, apparently.  Talk about wanting to hurl!! ""

I know what you're saying! What could such a creative and influential artist see in a commercialized over-the-top jazz singer wannabe with fat ankles and a breathing problem - or maybe its just bad breath and she's too embarrassed to really sing. Who does she think she is after all...Celine Dion? And what was Lyle Lovett thinking?! He didn't have to marry that lanky, overacting trollop with one good movie under her belt to sell his records. He could've just put nude pics of her on the net and be done with it...2.gif

----------------

On 9/15/2003 10:09:33 AM JBryan wrote:

"Alright, now don't anyone do anything drastic, and this might even be common knowledge for all I know, but I read the other day that Diana Krall is engaged to Elvis Costello! Engaged in what?, you say. Well, engaged to be married, apparently. Talk about wanting to hurl!! ""

I know what you're saying! What could such a creative and influential artist see in a commercialized over-the-top jazz singer wannabe with fat ankles and a breathing problem - or maybe its just bad breath and she's too embarrassed to really sing. Who does she think she is after all...Celine Dion? And what was Lyle Lovett thinking?! He didn't have to marry that lanky, overacting trollop with one good movie under her belt to sell his records. He could've just put nude pics of her on the net and be done with it...
2.gif
----------------

JBryan, You are too funny! I don't ever use the LOL shorthand to describe my reaction to humor, but you are a funny man. Dry, very dry.

----------------

On 9/14/2003 8:49:35 PM Allan Songer wrote:

Since when did the decade in which art is created determine its value? (Some of these recordings are from the 60's and 70's by the way.)

I like Diana Krall--used to hear her live ALL THE TIME with Clayton and Hamilton in the early 90's. She's a solid pianist and sings OK too--she's GOOD. BUT she is NOT anywhere near the talent level of the women listed above--sorry. But she is active today, so I wholeheartedly support her by buying her records and hearing here live when I can.

Just do yourself a favor and buy 3 or 4 of the discs listed above and you'll understand where I'm coming from.
----------------

Allan,

Do you have to travel to take in Picasso or listen to DK live enough to sound old hat? If you don't, you've got some good stuff coming through your neighborhood!

----------------

On 9/14/2003 8:49:35 PM Allan Songer wrote:

Since when did the decade in which art is created determine its value? (Some of these recordings are from the 60's and 70's by the way.)

I like Diana Krall--used to hear her live ALL THE TIME with Clayton and Hamilton in the early 90's. She's a solid pianist and sings OK too--she's GOOD. BUT she is NOT anywhere near the talent level of the women listed above--sorry. But she is active today, so I wholeheartedly support her by buying her records and hearing here live when I can.

Just do yourself a favor and buy 3 or 4 of the discs listed above and you'll understand where I'm coming from.

----------------

Allan,

I'm familiar with most on your list and yes they are wonderful. You need to lighten up a little and learn how to take a joke. Thank you for the list. I've already printed it and I'm planning to keep it as a reference for future purchases. Sorry if I didn't seem appreciative. It was an attempt at some light (very light) humor.

I've been listening to Nina Simone a bit recently (rest in peace) and would especially recommend her 'Baltimore' album. I'll give some of the others a spin on occassion but I really try to catch a live show. There's just something about a woman singing in front of me that's...well, exciting.

-Bryan

Somebody has to ask it:

Alan, if we were to pick up only 3 or 4 recommendations from your list, which ones should we select? I know individual taste must be considered but I will, as usual, take your word. BTW, please indicate, when you have a chance and over on the solo thread, your 4 other favorite tenor solo performances.

----------------

On 9/15/2003 6:08:32 PM Allan Songer wrote:

Sorry about that! Ever since that as*hole called me "racist" for reccomending a certain LP I've been sorta on guard-- guess I've got to thicken up my skin a little! Maybe that worthless piece of s*it will get lost forever on that ebay link!!

----------------

I think you'd better lighten up here, too.

fini

I missed that one also Allan. Time to come clean.2.gif

Looks like we'll be getting the east side of the storm which is the worst. 6-10 inches of rain along with the wind should make tomorrow an interesting day. And yes Fini, the hatches are all batched.

Mobile,

Looks like you are first strike. I'd go a little farther inland if I were you. My biggest worry is a flooded basement, powerlines coming down in my backyard, etc. You have the potential for some big time disaster stuff. If you're not going inland, at least take some video.6.gif Stay safe.

on 09/16 Alan used this description:

"that worthless piece of s*it"

One of my all time favorites usually addressed to various motorists or politicians.

on 09/17 Alan used this description:

"that bongo-loving co*ksucker(no offense to our gay male and/or straight female memebers)"

Too much Alan, I've had my laughs for the day and thanks for narrowing down the list.

Hope all you guys on the east coast weather the storm. Home Depot has small pumps that might come in handy if you have problems with water in the basement. Like a sump pump but portable. $45-$100 I'm thinking.

----------------

On 9/17/2003 6:25:22 PM boomac wrote:

on 09/16 Alan used this description:

"that worthless piece of s*it"

One of my all time favorites usually addressed to various motorists or politicians.

on 09/17 Alan used this description:

"that bongo-loving co*ksucker(no offense to our gay male and/or straight female memebers)"

Too much Alan, I've had my laughs for the day and thanks for narrowing down the list.

Hope all you guys on the east coast weather the storm. Home Depot has small pumps that might come in handy if you have problems with water in the basement. Like a sump pump but portable. $45-$100 I'm thinking.

----------------

Submersible pump. I bought mine for $75. Problem is you need power plus about 2" of water to use. Helps when something like a window-well is filling up with water.

On 9/17/2003 4:03:59 PM Allan Songer wrote:

"It was that bongo-loving co*ksucker......"

"BONGO-LOVING" ok I see.

So this is the ex-English Professor Songer's euphemism for "Jungle Bunny"....hey if the shoe fits.....

methinks the man maybe protesting too much.....hmmmm

couldn't let the sleeping dogs alone......

Things were harmonious until this outburst....too bad.

C&S