What guides your purchase of music (building of a library?)

kjohnsonhp

Do you have a goal and guidelines for your music collection? When you are shopping what do you look for? I am trying to determine a criteria for thinning my collection and a criteria for what to pursue. At first I just a bought a couple new albums (mostly new releases) at a time but then I started getting the idea of building a "library" and have found that boundaries and a criteria would be helpful.

On the other hand this could be totally impulsive.

Here are some questions to spark a response.

* do you have a very specific small list of albums in mind when you are shopping or are you looking for anything that fits a general guideline?

* For lps how much value do you put on 1st pressing vs rereleases and how do you balance condition with original pressing?

* if you buy CDs and lps what guides your choice between formats? I've noticed that the vinyl option is easier to find in new releases.

* do you have the collector's bug? Do you purchases alternative covers if the music is the same? Do you try to get every album by an artist or just the good ones? How would you describe what you collect?

* What drives you to purchase a $30 used lp when the CD is available for $15? Sonics? Investment? completion of vinyl collection?

what guides my music purchase...Believe it or not...Don't take into the consideration the RIAA bull&%# .... KaZaA....when I find an artist I like and Haven't herd of Before(and there are a lot of them) ..that is what sparks my music purchase...but because the way the RIAA is going about this hoopla, I will not buy more CD's or any other media until this mess is taken care of....I will just have to go without....Can you say....BOYCOTT....gc

I usually buy music by recommendation. Like I read some posts here and ordered five titles. Or I am listening to NPR and they recommend something (actually I am starting to think their recommendations suck) or TV. I work retail by myself and play allot of my cd, and customers suggest things and drop things for me to borrow

If you decide to thin out your collection (dont do it) post them and I may snag them up!

I don't quite follow it as much these days, but to some extent it was like R2R.

I'd find something I liked on free access, in my case FM. Just once per week. Classical or pop.

Then, on Saturday morning I'd buy one and go to the office and listen to it several times. So it was my reward for working. The boss liked it, I liked it, the RIAA liked it.

I did this long after CD's came to the fore but when there was an explosion of titles. No more vinyl for me. I'm not that tidy.

I'm not a believer that I'm being swindled and that some new super media is going to hold sway. Two channel red book CD's are going to be around for a long time and they're pretty darn good. At least there is no reason to put off purchases of recordings.

I'm not a fan of throwing money away by any means. However, I spend $15 a week on the CTA and Starbucks. Putting the like amount into quality music which can be played time and time again . . . I call it a bargain . . . cue Who's Next . . . The Best I Ever Had . (Air Guitar and I'm magnificent.)

Smile,

Gil

I won't buy an lp unless it is at least near mint. I just gave away about 500 that I knew I would never listen to due to condition.

I'm a listener and not a collector so I'm not worried about having an original or reissue as long as the quality is there.

Like others have said, I buy based on recommendations from here or from others. Sometimes I'll hear a song on the radio and decide I NEED that album. Sometimes while I'm driving to work I'll think of something I listened to 30 years ago and buy it that day. I'm also a sucker for 50 cent lps whether or not I think I'll get much use out of it.

The "Best Jazz Recordings" thread started by Boomac a while back was very helpful in adding to my very limited jazz collection with a lot of help from Allan Songer.

I still have more GD music then everything else combined if you include tapes. It continues growing although only on cd and lp now.

I go to the Salvation Army store, find any LP that interests me, take it out and examine the condition(say aah. If it is nice I give them the buck for it.

After I listen to it, if I don't like it I bring it back and donate it. Then I buy some more. It's an addiction. I'm going for a fix in the morning.

Rick

It seems most of the posts above are related to a continual influx of new sounds on a small volume at a time basis. When I left the radio I would still buy a couple new releases a month usually focusing on recommendations from mags and friends plus I would get the latest from my fav bands.

I then found out that people were dumping lps and that I could build a library similar to the one from the radio station at between 50cents and $4 a title. I then began to buy in stacks and I started seeking out all the lps I would play on my shows in the 80's as well as all the stuff I heard in the 70's. After getting most of the major label titles I wanted I then started thinking about the more expensive indies and I've thought about having the top 100 "alternative rock" lps of all time and other such collector's bug criteria. I've found that getting all the LOVE TRACTOR, LOVE & ROCKETS, LONG RYDERS, RAIN PARADE, etc. lps was easy but trying to get the punkier classic lps like RICHARD HELL, MODERN LOVERS, DEAD BOYS, DAMNED, WIRE, ADVERTS and others can be more expensive ($15-$35 each) so I ended up getting many on CD but I'm not too thrilled with having some on Cd and others on lp. For 70s and 80's I've enjoyed having a vinyl only collection backed by highlights on CD (ie all the YES lps and just the box set on CD). For 90's and on I buy the CD.

I'm now much more critical and have fewer items coming into the house. Lately I've been pulling stuff out of the closet, cleaning it and playing.

Some of the great underground racket are so bad on CD and others are ok. It's hit and miss but I find it sounds better on vinyl about 75% of the time.

I also did a number of jazz rec threads over the last two years. Here are another few recs that bear repeating as standards:

Bill Evans - The Village Vanguard Sessions: This is truly a landmark recording that the Sunday CD barely touches. A must have and just wonderful in vinyl. Can be found used but nowhere new.

Chet Baker - The Touch of your Lips: This is a great album and an amazing recording done by SteepleChase. Featuring the wonderful bass playing of Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen. The sound of this record on vinyl is so warm and rich, the bass notes making your mouth water. This is Chet at his best as well.

Chet Baker - This is Always: A must have number two in the Chet Baker category. Top notch recording and wonderful on vinyl. Same lineup as above

Sonny Rollins - The Sound of Sonny:I love Sonny Rollins. One of the all time greats and so much stuff out there. His work in the late 50s to mid 60s was just excellent. This is another on the list with PAul Chambers and Roy Haynes.

Sonny Rollins - Freedom Suite: Another must have and Freedom Suite takes all of one side and is just excellent sax work by Sonny. Still in print

Sonny Rollins - Moving Out: Sonny teamed up with Thelonious Monk which is always special.

RE-UNION with Dave Brubeck, Paul Desmond, and Dave Van Kriedt. It's nothing too special vinyl wise as it's a Fantasy OJC series. But damn if it didnt sound GREAT via the 2A3 monos and the Cornwalls!

Thelonious Monk - Brilliant Corners: Monk and Rollins again with some excellent compositions. This one is also still in vinyl on Riverside. Dont pass it up.

Art Pepper - More for Les at the Village Vanguard: This whole recording session with Elvin Jones on drums, George Cables on piano, and George Mraz on bass is perhaps some of Pepper's best set of recordings (live at least). The four albums from that date are all top notch with sonics and music to match. Very emotional performance for Pepper. The final solo of Pepper on Alto alone doing Over the Rainbow us literally spellbinding via the Cornwall. My wife and I just sat in a trance. The whole series runs from the nights ie Thurs, Fri, Sat. If you see it, BUY IT!!!!

John Coltrane - Soultrane: What else can you say about John Coltrane besides the fact the he was perhaps the best there ever was in many ways. Soultrane is one more classic with Red Garland and Paul Chambers. Almost all the Coltrane from the late 50s to mid-60s is just top notch. Countdown and Giant Steps are two instant classics with great jumps into the harmonics that he became known for. Coltrane's Sound is there as well. I could actually do a page list of Rollins, Miles Davis, and Coltrane that would all be must have.

Sarah Vaughan - Sarah Vaughan in HIFI: This is a beautiful recording of some of Vaughan's best early stuff - Sounds absolutely magical via the Cornwalls and a good CD player that is rich sounding such as the Rega Planet. All 22 numbers are vintage Sarah Vaughan and even better than most of her stuff recording wise

Gerry Mulligan & Ben Webster - Gerry Mulligan Meets Ben Webster: This Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs recording has just about the best rendition of Chelsea Bridge ever recorded. It is 7:18 of pure depth of all...amazing tone, with the deep barotone of Mulligan and breathy tenor of Webster. It is quite simply one of the best jazz cuts on record. The MFSL CD is very well recorded.

Eric Dolphy - In Europe: A great Dolphy record in which there are a series of three. IF you see this vinyl anywhere, pick it up.

kh

I only ever buy vinyl.

Generally I do into one of the dozen or so shops that I frequent and browse. Ocasionally I am looking for something specific (although being lazy I just pick that up off ebay 99 times out of 100).

I cant tell you what makes me buy and album - very often it is not something I have heard - just something shouts buy - and I do.

I just thinned my own collection by about 100 titles as things were getting a little out of control and I have run totally out of space.

Problem is - I picked up 10 more on Monday. Kind of a short term solution.

Oh - and wherever possible I try to pick up original recordings as they generally sound better to me - even better than the audiophile versions of stuff that comes out.

I buy and collect music. The music is more important than the media. Vinyl is nice and sometimes it is the only way to hear certain music. I have essential music which is only on 78 rpm discs. Some only on rare 10" LPs. Sometimes it is totally practical to collect CDs especially since much great recent music is ONLY on CD and other CD compilations of rare 78s come from discs so rare you will never find them. I have important music on CD which derives from reassembled broken rare one of kind glass acetates. For me appreciating and comprehending the essence of the music outweighs the audiophile obsession which is a secondary involvement.

I came to audio because of music, I was never someone who had the audio equipment first and then asked "what is some good music to collect to play on my audio equipment". Most recommendations for what music to collect came from 1) hearing it somewhere (radio), 2) reading, 3) what musicians were saying, 4) legends.

C&S

On 09/16/03 Garymd said: "The "Best Jazz Recordings" thread started by Boomac a while back was very helpful in adding to my very limited jazz collection with a lot of help from Allan Songer."

"What jazz do you recommend for someone new to tubes,who wants to enjoy the detail of an exemplary recording?

SSH"

Gary, ssh needs the credit for starting that great thread. I sure participated, (my rat-hole money is at an all time low) but it was ssh that asked that question.

What guides my purchase of music? Recommendations from several forum members including that Hollywood prop guy out there on the west coast!

"I was never someone who had the audio equipment first and then asked "what is some good music to collect to play on my audio equipment"

Me, too.

I have to manage the collector bug though. I tend to feel the urge to have the complete album list, first pressing, same format. For expensive bands like BEATLES I bought all the CDs. This is more of a collector of things rather than music. I also have the desire to own songs regardless of media but most of the recordings I'm familiar with are relatively affordable and available because I'm not as knowledeable on pre 1965 or so music.

I have enjoyed building the library at minimal cost which is what attracted me to records. My 70's youth and 80's college days aren't too expensive to collect. Fanning out all the Elvis Costello records while listening to a few tracks is kinda fun.

I have recently been interested in classical music and I've found I enjoy it a lot more in HiFi.

----------------

On 9/17/2003 12:53:09 PM boomac wrote:

On 09/16/03 Garymd said: "The "Best Jazz Recordings" thread started by Boomac a while back was very helpful in adding to my very limited jazz collection with a lot of help from Allan Songer."

"What jazz do you recommend for someone new to tubes,who wants to enjoy the detail of an exemplary recording?

SSH"

Gary, ssh needs the credit for starting that great thread. I sure participated, (my rat-hole money is at an all time low) but it was ssh that asked that question.

What guides my purchase of music? Recommendations from several forum members including that Hollywood prop guy out there on the west coast!

----------------

My apologies to SSH. It was Boomac who put the list together. Both of you along with all who contributed are to be commended. One of the most helpful threads ever.

I still would like to know if anyone knows the title of the Buddy Rich song on the Maxell Jazz Sampler and on what album it can be found. I'll keep asking until someone gives me the answer.3.gif

Gary? Lord, the damn thing is coming right over me! I'm on the beach in NORTH CAROLINA! Gary is back up there in Candy land! heh... I'd be smoking a cigar up there if I smoked cigars!

Seriously though, Gary will be getting some serious winds up there as well while my friends on the Neuse, Pamlico, and Outer Banks will be getting some heavy storm surge. My wife's family lives just inland from where the eye is predicted to cross. Should an interesting show for those out of flood water way.

By the way, for you loons just starting a jazz collection, the above list is excellent. Take some stock in it!

kh

----------------

On 9/17/2003 2:30:07 PM mobile homeless wrote:

Gary? Lord, the damn thing is coming right over me! I'm on the beach in NORTH CAROLINA! Gary is back up there in Candy land! heh... I'd be smoking a cigar up there if I smoked cigars!

kh

----------------

So, Kelly, where the heck are you right now?

I HOPE TO GOD you're not going to sit on that island and hope for the best. We love you, man! Get your boo-tocks inland.

As of now, we are staying on the island. The storm is about jusy to the south east of us and the first bands are starting to come over our beach but are mostly dry. The swells are now coming in at about 15 ft or so with increasing winds as the night comes. The storm will pass over us tomorrow around 12-2pm or so. We have voluntary evacuation of the beaches to the North and South but our beach is strangely silent...usually, they are super conservative. Not definitely staying but we're still here....

TV is on mute and now listening to ole Leo's little Digital amp hooked up as an integrated with the Rega Planet and CW. Thanks for the little beast for quick duty!

My current Will has Jeffus getting my CW.... and I might give the Moondogs to Craig to get him to shutup for good! heh...

kh