RF7s or LaScalas

gandrews

I've been using K horns for the mains, LaScala center and RS7's for surrounds until I realized that my wife of 39 years wanted her family room back. So, we decided to move the HT downstairs to the game room. No corners for the K horns. And I haven't been able to figure out how to use false corners down there.

So, I bought a pair of RF7s and an RC7 to go with my RS7s. The problem I'm having is that, after listening to the K horns for nearly 30 years, I'm having a tough time accepting the sound of the RF7s - especially when listening to female vocalists. I like the imaging of RFs better for HT use but for music they seem pretty brash to me. So now I'm thinking I might be better off using the LaScalas for the mains, RC7 for the center and RF7s for the surrounds.

Its a really tough choice. Any thoughts/hints/suggestions?

Gary

Gary, welcome to the forum!

While I can't give you any insight to your question, I am responding because you mentioned something that struck me... Most people who have heritage speakers swear by them for home theater use. But you like the RF7s better. I find that well... for the lack of a better term, comforting considering I run RF7s and don't have heritage.

Don't mind me, just thinking out loud I guess. 4.gif

Gary, first of all, welcome to the nuthouse, er, Forum.

OK, you asked...

1. Get rid of your wife.

2. Get rid of the RS7s.

3. Go back to Khorn mains with the LaScalla Center.

4. Get two more LaScallas to use for the rears.

Simple!!! And as close to a perfect HT as one could ask.

OK, sorry, I couldn't resist. You may try using the LaScallas for mains, and getting three heresys for center/surround duty. They will match up better than the reference series with the las, and won't take up too much more space.

Actually, I prefer the IMAGING of the RFs better (and the fact that I have some versatility in placing them) but I much prefer the overall sound of the K horns with the LaScalas being second.

Guess I (at least partially) answered my own question. Use the LaScalas for the mains and find something for the center. A LaScala is taller than I want for the center due to ceiling height and screen size. It was fine upstairs with a 17 ft ceiling but down here in the game room the ceiling is 8 ft and the screen is located under a 10 inch soffit. By the time I take out 3 ft for the LaScala and a foot for the screen's motor and edge masking there isn't much space left for the picture!

----------------

On 9/17/2003 9:10:34 AM gandrews wrote:

Actually, I prefer the IMAGING of the RFs better (and the fact that I have some versatility in placing them) but I much prefer the overall sound of the K horns with the LaScalas being second

----------------

This sounds too me like the room you are in is too small for Khorns, unlike your upstairs room. If you build the false corners, you could point them out into the room more and have some flexablility. Otherwise, replace the Khrons with 2 more LAS's.

I hear what you are saying about the RF7's. Once you get use to the detail of BIG Heritage speakers, it is hard to go to anything else.

Sorry to hear about your situation. That really sucks.

JM

So you are using two RF-7s fronts, two RS-7s surrounds and an RC-7 center for home theater and you say it sounds "brash". What are you using for a subwoofer? With that set up I would have at least one sub or maybe two for Home theater AND music listening.What are you using to push all these speakers?

The primary problem I noted in the first post was that, in my and my wife's opinions, the Klipschorns and LaScalas that we've had for a long time sound much better than the RF7's when listening to music. Maybe I used the wrong term "brash" but we notice a harshness with the RF7's that isn't there with the big horns.

Initial listening was done with a stereo system so the center, surrounds, and sub weren't in the picture.

For HT use, I like the size/appearance of the Ref line, the nice sound localization, and the flexibility in positioning them - but for sound clarity (realism) the big guys are the clear winners in our opinion.

We've pretty much decided to leave the Khorns where they are and use them mostly for music. They will get more use there than in the HT room.

We're still discussing whether or not to use the Ref series for the main HT setup. Having LaScalas clear across the front of the (18 wide X 30 deep X 8 high ft) room is a little overwhelming. Upstairs we had the Khorns for the mains and a LaScala (built into a walnut cabinet that matched the Khorns) for the center. A 40" CRT was on top of the 'Scala and we had a motorized screen that lowered in front of the TV for use with the front projector. We used RS7's for the surrounds. Now all that's left upstairs are the Khorn and the big TV.

We use a Yamaha RXV3000 receiver with the HT system.

I don't mean to denigrate the Ref series at all. We may indeed decide to use them for the HT. We prefer the overall sound qualities of the Heritage series but they don't necessarily fit (physically and appearance wise) in our application.

It's obvious, a Heritage HT over a Reference HT is not a hard choice to me 10.gif

Just wish Klipsch would have a "true" Heritage Centre channel along with a Heritage "subwoofer", at 18" inches, would be nice 10.gif

I do use a Klipsch Legend KLFC7 as my centre, no complaints, and Velodyne foots the bill for my subwoofer needs.

A decision on whose the "best" support, good night eh, they are totally different speakers, not even close 10.gif

PS. A Reference system "music" wise, doesn't even come close to a Heritage system, NOT EVEN CLOSE 10.gif

The horn mid in the 3 way is real smooth.

The 2 way Reference line,by design, cannot keep up.

The tweeter is expected to reproduce too many frequencies.

Less complex crossover, one driver less; makes a less expensive speaker to manufacture.

Chorus II was most likely a much more expensive speaker to manufacture than an RF-7.

I could be Nutz thow...

Gary,

Another consideration would be to go with the Ref Series, but also get a RSW-15. I've had mine for about a month. I find that movies and music both sound and blend much better.

Goodluck with your decision.

Don't get caught up in the "mines bigger then yours." Go with what works best for your situation.

ROB