More Industrial LaScalas

Tony Reed

Tony

VERY NICE. 3 LAS per channel. Loud.

Depends completely on your amp and what ohm load it can run. Generally 4-16 ohms is fine on most amps. Most Heritage are 8ohm speakers, but realistically bottom out at 4 ohms.

If in doubt its better to be too high. Running too low will overheat your amps and cause more dammage than being too high. I would run all 3 in series. + to - on the next speaker. This way you will bottom out at 12 ohms total.

If you want to sell any of those beauties, let me know.

JM

Would consider three in series for each channel of stereo amp. If there is a one channel amp, you could put the two sets of three series in parallel. The latter works out to be less of a load than just one.

There is something to be said, also, for the use of 70 volt line transformers. But perhaps that violates electrical codes for exposed wiring. Maybe 25 volt line transformers do not.

Yes, people seem to believe that the transformers have poor frequency response. I doubt it would be that bad.

But with the series parallel circuit, remember that most banana plugs are stackable. Meaning that they are both male and female. So you could twist some wire around the male ends and tape them off. That way it is possible to cludge together a very flexible series parallel circuit. I've not done it myself though.

Best,

Gil

A two channel Yamaha M-80, M-85, or MX-1000/1000U could run all those speakers simultaneously without a switch box, they have six outputs and you can switch any pair in or out on the front of the unit. My DBX BX-3MkII could also run all six without a switch box. It is actually capable of running 4 pairs of speakers. With the right capable amplifier no switch box would be needed. The amplifiers I mentioned can be run to 2 ohms or less easily.

The impedance / resistance will vary with frequency. I'm not sure what the ohm meter will read, but it may not be representative of what your amplifier will see once the the drivers are moving.

I believe the LaScala will represent a minimum of 4ohms and a max many times higher.

Assuming 4ohms should be safe... 1.gif

Rob

Tony,

"  I guess I could hook these up in series/parallel and put my test meter on them to see what kind of load it creates. "

If you assume they are 8 ohm speakers (which they roughly are but it will vary with frequency) putting two in parallel will result in a 4 ohm load. Adding the third in series will result in a 12 ohm load which your amp should handle fine.

All 3 in series is a 24 ohm load which is probably a little high for a typical amp. All three in parallel is a little over a 2 ohm load (not considering the peaks/dips in the impedance) which a good amp could probably handle but the series parallel connection keeps the load closest to what a singles load would be.

Shawn