Cornwall Sound

shload

Woodog....Great post and explanation to the why you love them...and I agree too.

Deang...man your soo confused you do not like them and equate them to "PA" speakers...Only to say you like them later. What side of the fence are you on now?

Cornwalls are wonderful. They are big magical speakers...In a good rectangle room they just sound fantastic. Yes, what you put in is what you get. So good choices in amplification is critical, and if it is crap... probably gonna really sound like crap after they are done reproducing it too.

I am very excited some on the board also seem to like Cornwalls too, and or rediscovered them also. I will be using them in a HT this winter / spring to be built. Left corn, center corn, right corn, sides Heresies, and rear corns... I will let you all know how I feel it all works out. My hunch is with a incredible RSW 15" sub, I will tend to enjoy DVD's in this set up, for a long, long time...

PA sound !!!

I find the cornwall has that top of the line pa sound and a good one at that.

True high end PA sound is high end sound when driven with high end pro gear.

Not cheap pa amps and mixers fromt Guitar center

I ran some Cornwall clones for my side moniters and small sound sytem evreyone loved how warm they sounded. they were loaded with rcf 15 and jbl high mid horns.I powered them with a old Phase linear 700.

Just now read this thread...I have never auditioned RB-5s or any other Reference Series Klipsch loudspeaker before, so I cannot comment whether the Cornwalls are more refined than the RB-5 and visa-versa. I'll leave that judgement to the forum members who have heard or owned both models.

And I'm a warehouse manager at a Guitar Center and none of the JBL, Mackie, KRK, Event, or Yamaha monitors sound remotely close to the more refined Klipsch Cornwall! The PA monitors do play loud, but lack the total clarity and detail of the Cornwall. They sound good for their intended purposes, powered by high-wattage Crown and QSC power amps, but I wouldn't want either in my home audio system. The Cornwall is cleaner and more articulated; only the Klipschorn tops it in total dynamics and overall presence. I suppose a mega high-end Tannoy or Westlake Audio studio horn speaker would best the Cornwall, though.

For what it's worth...

I used to use Cornwalls and my Carver C500 for our band's PA during college parties....They also worked well for low SPL level HiFi.

6.25 woofers sound pretty big....how about 4.25" mid driver and a tweeter...that seems more typcial these days. Do you like any of these monitors: mbl 321e, ACI Saphire, Onix Ref 1, ProAc Tablette, Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor, B&W Signature 805, etc? What if you took fast musical woofers and stacked them to fill out the sound? After owning Cornwalls I'm trying to determine how best to appreciate monitors.

Maybe "P.A. speaker" is a bit too much of a generalization, but yeah, what I think most people think of is that honky, restricted bandwidth kind of sound you hear in gymnasiums and ballparks. The Cornwall doesn't sound anything like that.

Indyklipschfan, I'm not confused at -- I like it all, it's all ear candy too me. Any seemingly negative statement I make regarding Heritage is simply a throwback to a time when I walked in complete ignorance. I do like the way they sound, but overall -- I just prefer the sound of two-ways.

well as Charlie Brown would say, "I think this board just ground to a halt".

Tom tells us that a 6 1/2" woofer and a dome tweeter represent the finest in speaker performance and that the cornwalls are found lacking.

BigBusa reminds us that corns may not sound their best and in fact can sound "in your face" with multi-100 watt SS dynaco amps, thanks.

I will now go to sleep, content in the fact that the Klipsch b-board has imploded. after, of course, I finish ROTFLMAO!

tony

----------------

On 9/29/2003 5:39:48 PM Woodog wrote:

----------------

On 9/29/2003 1:27:29 PM shload wrote:

Looking at some Cornwalls to match with my Ideal Innovations Stereo50 tube amp. I have RB-5ii at this time. Been told that the Cornwalls will give more of a PA sound vs a more refined audio sound of the 5's. Any thoughts on this, music tastes lean toward jazz and some classic rock. Thanks for any info. Joe

----------------

I bought my first set of Cornwalls to use as a PA system. 'PA' means sound reinforcement to me.

See the thread 'Another New Klipsch user..." by Woodog.

I first bought a set of heresys to use in the church auditorium (about 1300 - 1500 square feet, very high ceilings).

The Heresys didn't have enough 'ooomph' for the large room, but I LOVED the midrange. So I went to Cornwalls next and kept the Heresys as side-fill. PERFECT. They can fill that space with the London Smphony Orchestra or a string quartet.

They serve as stereo speakers, PA speakers (lectures, small musical ensembles, keyboards for church service). I would never run electric basses through them or mic drums. Overkill, ya know?

I loved em so much I had to have a pair for my home to replace my Bose 901s, which suddenly sounded lifeless and uninteresting in comparison (imagine that).

My home listening room is 12' x 20' and the corwalls are magical there. I can hurt myself with good clean volume and chest pounding bass if I want (I don't, btw), but what I like best is the really wonderful quality of low volume listening. It is so pure and well defined.

Ya really need to listen to them even though I bought my first pair never having heard them. I love em.

my $.02,

Forrest

----------------

Hello:

Corwalls play microphoned drums or bass guitar through each time they are are used for music playback.

In my references to the above, I speak of recording and such playback and reference the some preferred over emphasis on bass and bass (kick) drum.

P.A. speakers reinforce sound. The use of the term "P.A." does conjure the image of megaphones, portable systems used in seminars, systems designed for muti-room applications and the range of concert systems - low cost to top of the line.

As Tom said, study the background of speakers. And note that even today, Companies such as Klisch, Altec Lansing, James Lansing, Electro-Voice, Shure (both noted for quality microphones Studio and live performance) and many others have a "Professional" line and a "Home Audio" line.

Years ago, the LaScala had to avoid the tag P.A., due to its similarity to "P.A." speakers in use at the time. There are still a number of people that upon seeing a LaScala make a comment aboyt P.A. or Concert speakers.

dodger

----------------

On 9/30/2003 1:30:30 PM JBryan wrote:

Didn't PWK design the LaScala as a PA speaker first and then "purdified" them for the home audio crowd? I also see Chorus-like speakers in movie theaters but that application isn't really considered PA is it?

----------------

Hello:

The "purified" version is the Belle. Designed as a tame "furniture look" LaScala.

Any system or speaker used to regularly present sound or voice to those in different classrooms, theaters, manufacturing plants, audiences can on its own be called a Public Address even if it can be taken into the home such as the quality Ashly Audio Amplifiers and components, the Mackie Amplifiers and the like. Others previously mentioned can be included.

dodger