speaker stands really make a difference??

lemonman

Ok, I have a pair of Energy C-1 bookshelf speakers (please forgive me, I will get Klipsch someday8.gif ), and I'm using cheap flimsy 24" wooden stands. I find that the sound is quite colored, with serious colorations at 250hz and 750 hz, likely due to unwanted cabinet resonance (measured this with SPL meter and frequency sweeps). I didn't think the problem lie with the speakers since their supposed to be flat sounding in the midrange and the sales brochure talks about how they are supposed to be engineered to be free of resonance2.gif.

So I thought the problem was with the stands so I did a little test, I set up the speakers on chairs that are quite sturdy and listened with some music and tested with the frequency sweeps. Right away I found the sound had tightened up, the colorations had been eliminated and I was surprised at how good they sounded! Anyway I want to replace the stands now with high quality metal stands, maybe a bit shorter, say 20".

So my question is, do stands really make a difference, or am I just hearing things??

I think a good stand is important. I bought a pair from Parts Express for about $35 and filled them with #8 lead shot. The shot cost $17. The stands are now heavy and dead. Check them out at www.partsexpress.com . I bought the 24" stands, part # 240-740. They come with spikes and pads for the top plate/speaker. They also have other stands to choose from. Good luck.

Keith

I will add my endorsement of the importance of good stands as well. I have been a monitor speaker user my whole life no matter if in main or aux system. The stands can make or break a good setup and are worth the money. For most of my stands, I have filled the bottom of the tube(s) with 1-2 bags of lead shot and the rest with sand, just like Cut-Throat mentions. The bottom NEEDS to be spiked but the top between the speakers and the stand is a more variable interface. I have used both spikes and the cheap version of Blu-tack which is virtually the same putty-like substance you use to stick stuff on a refridgerator. I put four quarter or smaller sized pieces on the top of stand between speakers. On the whole, I have found this to work better than the spike tops although I have had good results with both. It's very important to get the stands level and solidly anchored too with NO rock back and forth.

Placement with monitors is critical as well. But you can end up with some great results, even with more pedestrian speakers.

kh

Ok guys thanks for the advice I ended up getting a pair of 20" Atlantis stands. Cost me $1406.gif , but the sound improvment was tremendous. I no longer get those boxy colorations I mentioned. Now the sound is smooth and luscious. Yummy! Now time to go back and listen.