Can the RB75 replace RF7s for HT?

Bruinsrme

----------------

On 10/2/2003 12:13:40 PM bruinsrme wrote:

yet another thought.

I was thinking about replacing the RF7s with the RB 75. How much would I loose.

2 channel not a concern.

thanks

----------------

You would lose some depth, a change in the mids and more would be decided by room acoustics.

Bruinrme why are you considering this option? Just curious as to why you would want to go to a bookshelf speaker from a floorstander? You would obviously lose some bass response going to a single 8" driver. I am not sure how similar or dissimilar the tweeter horn is. You would probably lose some efficiency as well. What leads you down this path?

Cons:

Going from two 10's to one 8 means higher IM distortion as SPL increases.

Some loss of sensitivity -- so you need more power to equal what the RF-7s can do at any given point.

Of course, you'll also lose low end response -- but if you have adequate subbage, it's probably not going to be an issue.

Pros:

Superior imaging. A more open sound due to the small baffle. I think monitors have it all over floorstanders in this area.

Better dynamics. This from my experience of going from RB-5s to RF-7s. Transients should be more intense.

Better coherency. This one is hard to explain. It lies in the inherent differences between good monitors and floorstanders.

Easier integration with subs, and ease of placement.

You are not the only one looking at the possibilty of this switch.2.gif

Currently I have 2 PB2+ which will be upgrading to the PB2 Ultras, low end is not all that concerning.

I find myself listening to more and more 2 channel and I was thinking about something a little warmer than the RF7s. I heard the B&W and wow.

So in preparations to moving to a seperate configuration for two channel and HT I was thinking the foolowing set up

Pioneer 49txi

Parasound A23 to power the RB75

Parasound A52 to power the remaining 5 channels RC7, (4) RS7

2 channel not yet decided

Parasound A21 to power a 2 channel floor standing speaker

The other option is to go bookshelf for the 2 channel setup.

thanks again

scott

in our showroom, i have the rb-75's,rc-7, and rs-7's hooked up to a fosgate pre/pro and fosgate 5x200w.amp,along w/a rsw-15. they used to be hooked up to a yamaha rxv3300.

they sound GREAT w/either setup, but i still prefer floorstanders for the slam factor.

jmo

avman.

----------------

On 10/2/2003 1:11:05 PM Frzninvt wrote:

What leads you down this path?

----------------

It's a combination of things really. He's been sniffing to many chemicals at work, making his women pissed off thus getting the-Ol frying pan upside his mellon. He is all just dazed and confused.

o.k.

here's some more opinion2.gif

i was all set to get the ref bookshelf(rb5)and a sub about 3yrs ago. i figured that since i was not in a permanent residence(at the time)and the 'only difference between bookshelf and floor standers w/the same horn was bass'(yeah,i know better now)that they would be easier to move,sound as good, and w/a digital receiver, i would have the powered sub for lfe...

my friend buys a pair of klf-30's, but he is on campus at L.S.U.,so he asks me to keep'em at my place for a few weeks so he can make room.after a pause (for dramatic effect) i said'SURE'!!

on the third day,while being particularly moved by some classic rock i was listening to(i actually sat on the floor of my 2nd story garage apartment so i could feel the bass)i called him and said 'you b@stard!i had it all figured out...until i experienced these-now i HAVE GOT TO HAVE A PAIR!!'

happy ever after9.gif

avman.

bruinsrme,

Dont make a mistake here,the RB75 is not the RF7 equal.It may be in the same detail league but as far as the life like dynamics and ultra low distortion at high levels the RB75 dont touch the RF7's.

No bookshelf can replace a larger floorstander.When I use RF7's and then switch to the RB5's its a clear degradation.When I use Dynaudio Contour 3.3's and then switch to Contour 1.1's its a clear loss of the scale(even if upper detail and definition is all there).Bottom line large floorstanders matched with REAl subs offer the ultimate audio experience.

If we all start reverting to small stats we will end up with Promedia systems.I for one will never go back to small sats(unless for PC use,where I use Totem and Dynaudio).