Analog sounding CD player

AnalOg

Jeff, Really?

What, for example, have you listened to?

----------------

On 10/8/2003 8:40:57 PM Are Friends Electric wrote:

Still, have yet to find a more involving CDP that literally draws me into the music, including a handful of SACD players I've tried. Would have upgraded to something else a long time ago if it sounded as effortless, though the BAT has now perked my interest.

----------------

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though I know he's still thinking up a new one as I write, this isn't Jeff's new moniker..

Have tried two extended home auditions with a broken-in triple 7 and 2A3 SET, if there was ever a mild disappointment this was it, never expected SACD to sound so strident, the second audition I had a lot more software to try out with similar results. Sounded ok with the Eico though.

Extended listening to the CAL CL-10 and Mark Levinson No.37 transport/No.360S DAC, and Marantz 8260 = ear fatigue, recently completed home auditions with the Philips 962 (almost identical to the 963), playback was very sloppy which I am chalking up to audible jitter problems, and the new Marantz 8300 player. The sense of ease in the Tjoeb CD playback was head and shoulders above the Marantz universal chip with both SACD and CD, and actually sounded more analog-like. Couldn't believe it myself as all the auditioned equipment was available for much less than retail. Spending the extra money on tubes and new music instead.

-Tad

The old Nakamich oms 7's are a real bang for the buck.

They can be had on ebay for less than 200 new they were 2k

They are built like tanks real soild and have nice sounding D/A converters.

The can be modified for a digital out and upgaded with modern D/A a good one for the moneys is the DAC 1 from Benchmark

I have a old Oms 7 thats been one for over 10 years ( I ever shut it off unless on vacation)

Never had any problems.

NAk use to know how to build things.

I have a lot of 30 and 15 ips master tapes I play on a old 3m 2 track when I feel lkie some killer anolog

Even 24 bit 196 k still can,t add the warm sound a tape can.

Btw tape recorded at 30ips has a reduced low end for rock stuff 15ips sound has a deeper low end.

Many studios like to mix down at 15ips for pop and rock.

Which 777 are you referring to? The SCD-777ES or the SCD XA777ES?

Strident would be one term I would not use for the SCD-777ES. Smooth, almost to a fault, is more like it. Are you sure it was broken in? They take about 250 hours. I ran mine for about 6 days without stop to break mine in.

- tb

----------------

On 10/8/2003 9:23:33 PM Are Friends Electric wrote:

Have tried two extended home auditions with a broken-in triple 7 and 2A3 SET, if there was ever a mild disappointment this was it, never expected SACD to sound so strident,

Tim, thanks again for the mention and the case of wine... Ok, maybe not a case of wine, but a nifty card WITH a picture. heh.. We had a good eve thanks to a fine meal on top of a bottle of wine Chris Robinson had sent over a year ago. VERY nice. Thanks Chris! Audrey is now passed out on the couch... and here I am. Lord.

That is not Jeff of Quebec fame but my good friend Tad from Chapel Hill, NC fame. Tad had a similar start in tubes to you, with an EICO HF-81 moving on to a pair of Wright 3.5 Monoblocks. He has a pair of 76 Cornwalls that are just like mine except with WOOD and not ye olde black decorator series. He has no vinyl per say (besides an old smattering), but has been buiding up an impressive digital jazz collection over the past several years.

Sadly, Ole Taddeo came to the beach last weekend with Wright 3.5 Monos in hand a two pairs of vintage $$$$$ Monoplates! Sadly Pt II, I never got to hear them as we just couldnt get together. I went on a sailing outing on one day and we missed each other another. Many thanks to Tad for going to the trouble of bringing the Wrights and Monoplates down. I am coming up on the weedend of the 18th to see Carolina get killed and the Russian Ballet in Raleigh. Have everyting warmed up and waiting.

kh

Heh. Who mentioned a CASE of wine? Now I know why Jeff fears his wine collection when your near... Kelly!

Well, it's good that you remembered to take out your wife anyway. heh, My wife can't drink much wife before shes passed out. Well, when she does, then i can sneak off to the music room. heh.

Bummer on the Monoplates. I'd own them myself but dam they are expensive. I'll propably end up getting some Mesh AVVTs down the line. Jacmusic seems reliable enough to supply good pairs.

I had a feeling Tad was somehow attached in some way to Jeff or yourself. He hit the gound running which was unusual to say the least. Carolina killed?

- tb

Sorry to change the subject, but I just talked to an Audiogon member who has sampled about a half dozen players, including a couple of very high end types (+5K), and he said the Arcam came so very close to them that it was a complete no brainer.

The Japanese originally came up with "Nakamichi" to be mean CHEAP electronics. I'm not sure if that is a direct translation of the word or the companys mission statement. This I heard from a asian co-worker who now lives in the states.

I've owned a few Nakamichi products and had not had any problems with any of them.

- tb

----------------

On 10/8/2003 9:30:02 PM khorn58 wrote:

The old Nakamich oms 7's are a real bang for the buck.

They can be had on ebay for less than 200 new they were 2k

They are built like tanks real soild and have nice sounding D/A converters.

The can be modified for a digital out and upgaded with modern D/A a good one for the moneys is the DAC 1 from Benchmark

I have a old Oms 7 thats been one for over 10 years ( I ever shut it off unless on vacation)

Never had any problems.

NAk use to know how to build things.

I have a lot of 30 and 15 ips master tapes I play on a old 3m 2 track when I feel lkie some killer anolog

Even 24 bit 196 k still can,t add the warm sound a tape can.

Btw tape recorded at 30ips has a reduced low end for rock stuff 15ips sound has a deeper low end.

Many studios like to mix down at 15ips for pop and rock.

----------------

Ok Dean, it's late but I'll bite. What are you trying to say?

----------------

On 10/8/2003 11:05:50 PM DeanG wrote:

Sorry to change the subject, but I just talked to an Audiogon member who has sampled about a half dozen players, including a couple of
very
high end types (+5K), and he said the Arcam came so very close to them that it was a complete no brainer.

----------------

I am nearly as passionate about wine as I am jazz vinyl and vintage vaccum tubes. I have worked the crush in Napa a dozen or more times and my college roommate owns and runs a FINE Napa vinyard and winery (Kent Rassmussen Winery which also produces the Ramsay label--Kent's wife's last name is Ramsay). Kent makes the best Pinot Noir in California and is also that rare combonation of anarchist and capitalist. Is this a great country or what?!?!

By the way, I just polished off a nice bottle of 1990 BV Latour Cabernet and a big bowl of Carbonara.

Allan,

I hope you had some Pasta to go along with that sauce?

I enjoy the BVs. Don't believe I've had the pleasure to sample the 1990 Latour.

----------------

On 10/8/2003 11:14:29 PM Allan Songer wrote:

By the way, I just polished off a nice bottle of 1990 BV Latour Cabernet and a big bowl of Carbonara.

----------------

This is an interesting thread. Since I don't do vinyl anymore, I'm no help on a comparison here, but I'd love to do a head to head of my Tjoebs with a Rega... But haven't had the opportunity to audition the Rega. The Tjoebs sounds killer to my ears and was surpringly improved by the upsampler (after listening a couple of months) and then later NOS Siemens tubes to replace the Sovtek stock tubes. I have also been favorably impressed with the Heart CD, which is yet another Dutch Marantz chassis tube conversion. It probably sounds a little more tubey than the Tjoebs.

----------------

On 10/8/2003 11:10:48 PM tbabb wrote:

The Japanese originally came up with "Nakamichi" to be mean CHEAP electronics. I'm not sure if that is a direct translation of the word or the companys mission statement. This I heard from a asian co-worker who now lives in the states.

I've owned a few Nakamichi products and had not had any problems with any of them.

- tb

----------------

Nakamichi is a well-known audio family, here's an interesting review on the Niro 1000 Integrated Engine.

Wish I could endorse the 777ES, it had its moments, was ready to go thee to SACD! Set-up: Wright 3.5s, WLA12A line stage, Alpha Core TQ2 silver IC, fav Kimber Cable Kwik 12 speaker wire. With extended listening on a lot of titles found discord continually creeping in on the upper frequencies that left me a bit cold at first, and then eventually wearing on the ears and soul. Two different machines, both fully broken-in floor models, same results. In a word, there seems to be too much resolution with most SACD/SET in my experience, to the point the machine becomes a remarkable tool for listening, hear that glass clink!!, but with feelings for the music going by the wayside. Thrilled it works for you in your set-up. The variable filter settings were useful, though too tempting to flip around with each disc, curious if you found a setting that worked long term. Seriously considering a plasma display monitor while waiting for Herman to come out with Super Audio Tjoeb. Here he is taking a nap. Click for more pics.

sleepingbeauty.jpg

I've made my decision and put my order in yesterday morning.

I ordered the Tjoeb from Upscale along with the Amperex 7308's & the upsampler.

The decision to go with this player was 24/192khz dac & tube output. The Dac upsampling rate at this price for the player is a very attractive buy & worth a try. The return policy of lossing 10% for restocking was attractive so I figured if I dont like it I lose 130 bucks. My goal is to get as close to analog as possible. Which means I need to take the edginess out of the sound. Get some added warmth & richness in the tone of that digital signal and I'll be there. I know sounds easier than it is possible, but I'm having fun in the process getting there.

I know I took a full turn from the Wadia preference, but damn those units are pricey. I figure I will work my way up the ladder till I find my preference. On the other hand vinyl floats my boat all the way to audio nirvana.

3.gif

Tom

That's Herman? What about the Super Audio Tjoeb? Is it an SACD Tjoeb?

I know a guy who wears two or more watches because of OCD. Just makes him feel more calm.

Isn't that what they used to say about Nakamichi?.... built in Japan.... by fanatics!

Tom, you are going to love your Tjoeb!!!3.gif

Honestly have no idea what Herman thinks about SACD, been meaning to write him about modifying the likes of a Marantz 8260, but the price point will likely approach $1000+. There is a growing cottage industry of modified SACD players, guessing Herman may be resting easy on his CD laurels if he hasn't entered that arena by now, or perhaps he hasn't found a low priced SACD player that he likes to begin with. The universal chip is not exactly gaining rave reviews, it's primarily targeted for the mass market consumer who wants convenience, Sony is one of the few manufacturers holding out with audio-only SACD. As for watches, he may be keeping up with Kevin Deal time, who knows what that's about.

Rf3iicrazy, congrats on the purchase. One of the fun factors with the Tjoeb is tube rolling, I settled on the Amperex Orange Globe 6DJ8, inexpensive and highly recommended. Try a pair for kicks, there are several sets available on eBay right now, have dealt with this seller and can say he's one of the good guys.

Kelly, mother-in-law in town that weekend to see grandchildren. Need I say more? heh. Take me to the ballet!!

Are you kidding me??? Out of ALL the weekends, she is there? What the forum members dont realize is this is more horrible than average... I cant even begin to entertain the idea within my skull without getting chills. Why this weekend?

I actually think it would be funny as hell to pop in with Audrus for a listening session! heh... She would LOVE to see me again and rekindle nitemares from 15 years ago. Except the nitemares would be MINE!

That weekend can be made as twisted as need be... The possibilities are endless.

kh

TOM!!!!!!

Im hope Im not to late with some news for you!!!

I have the Perfect Solution for you, for about 200 bucks you can make ANY CD player to sound more Analog! That's right, I don't know why this little device is not in the mind of everyone, but you can make a search on this forum for comments on it. I made a review about a year ago (maybe more). The device in question is called ADE-24 and you can find more reviews on the Audio Asylum and over google newsgroups.

It is an incredible black box, you should really try it, you won't risk a peny since they have a nice return policy, but I bet you will keep it as soon as you hear the wonders it does to digital.

Oh, more info on the manufacturer's site: www.margulesaudio.com