New 2003 Klipschorns - a six-month review

DTLongo

2003 Klipschorns review - part 1

Here, based on six months experience with them, is a considered review of my new Klipschorns ordered in October 2002 and received in April 2003. Would I buy them again knowing what I know about these speakers now? Answer: yes, but with a good subwoofer to go with them.

My Khorns are in the long corners of a 12'x15', cathedral ceiling room used as a reading and straight-stereo listening area. The room is smallish but the high ceiling gives the speakers an opportunity to open up. The amplifier is an older but sturdy Kenwood KA88OD solid state, 100 watts per channel. Audio sources are a Sanyo CD/DVD player, Cambridge Sound Works PAL compact AM/FM radio/tuner, and a Radio Shack turntable used rarely.

Fit and finish. One of my K-horns never should have left the factory. It had a bad cosmetic flaw. Glue had smeared out and dried from under the metal Klipsch nameplate onto the surrounding grille cloth. So what does one do, insist that the dealer return the behemoth to Klipsch and wait more weeks or months? Fortunately, by careful work with small tools I was able to chip away most of the dried glue such that the blemish is now not visible unless you look at it very closely. But we were not pleased. Quality control on $6500 speakers should be better. (continued)

2003 Klipschorn review - part 2

Wife Acceptance Factor. I'm not married, but a surprise was how unobtrusive repeat unobtrusive the Khorns are when snuggled all the way back into their corners as they should be. They sit there rather squatly and quietly as attractive pieces of major furniture. The large, well-finished front wood panels topped by the black-grill-cloth midrange and tweeter assemblies are quite pleasing to the eye. Notwithstanding their size, the Khorns are less intrusive than even much smaller freestanding box-style speakers that stick up into a room.

The sound. These speakers did require breaking in. They were stiff and "honky" at first but settled in over several weeks to a mellower, richer timbre. But even just out of their cartons the first thing that struck me was the Khorns' IMPACT. They are designed to be able to move a lot of air, and it shows. Crank them up and try "The Star Spangled Banner" from Keith Lockhart & the Boston Pops' "Splash of Pops" album (BMG). The chorale starts off very softly with the orchestra coming in slowly. But wait until the final two choruses.

Likewise, for impact try the DVD opening music and jet sequences of "Top Gun" on a pair of Klipschorns at volume. Wow. (continued)

2003 Klipschorns review - part 3.

And, except for a pair of (then) $40,000 Infinity Reference Standards I heard a couple of decades ago, the Khorns are the only speakers I have heard that can take the Telarc "1812" cannon shots at significant volume without flinching.

The second impressive sonic is the Khorns' effortlessness. They can whisper, sure, but boy can they roar. One comes to regard the volume control as a type of Niagara knob, given the cascades of pure undistorted sound the Khorns can pour forth. Their fabled efficiency comes through too. My 100 watts per channel amp loafs even as the house is shaking. With the Khorns I have never had to have the volume control up beyond about 11:00.

A third sonic factor is their "singiness." That's a subjective term to be sure, but these speakers do indeed "sing." They are truly musical.

Clarity, of course. Pure crisp detailed sound. Individual banjo strings. Musicians' breathing. Air rushing through wind instruments. Percussive transients as piano hammers hit the strings. A sense of actual resined bows going over strings. Symphonic strings sound like a group of violins, say, rather than an undifferentiated violin sound. Great transients and percussion. Wonderful separation. Sublime close-miked acoustic jazz. And a loud rockster's delight whether it's 50's classics or modern day. (continued)

2003 Klispchorns review - part 4.

A fourth factor is remarkably good dispersion. I had expected the midrange and tweeter horns to be quite beamy, but the midrange and treble hold up well to over 45 degrees off-axis. One can stand directly in front of one of the Khorns cooking away and hear the other speaker playing in the opposite corner.

The deep bass, though, disappoints. To be sure, these speakers were designed in an era when there was virtually no deep reproduced bass below around 45 Hz. They do roll off below around 40 Hz. Fortunately, I had a Velodyne servo 1500 sub that I moved over from my home theater to the Klipschorns. The big Velodyne well supplements the Khorns below 40 Hz.

Yet, depending on program material, there are times when the Velo is "too much" and I go to straight Klipschorns with the amplifier bass control turned up from its usual 12 o' clock flat position to around 3 or 4 o' clock. For example, the Cincinnati Pops treatment of Prima's "Sing, Sing, Sing" on Telarc CD-80401. To listen to that full-bore jazz drum duel accompanied by other soloists and full symphony orchestra on a pair of Khorns playing at a live-level volume is to die and go to heaven. Likewise, the "Bugle Boy" cut on the Boston Pops "Splash" album. (continued)

2003 Klipschorns review - part 5 and last

Conclusion. One is intrigued by current day built-in subwoofer speaker models such as the much advertised Definitive Technology model BP7000SC subwoofered tower bipolar speakers. A pair of those for around $5,000 might give the Khorns a run for the money, and possibly beat them in the low bass at moderate volumes. But sometimes one wants to let one's puppies out for a real run. At seriously high volumes on demanding material, I doubt the 7000's or like speakers would keep up with Khorns. Their cone speakers would physically outrun their excursion limits while the Khorns' woofers in their folded horn enclosures and their midrange and tweeter horns are barely breaking a sweat. Alternatively, the Khorns can hold their own with speakers costing $10,000 on up, into stratospheric levels. In that league they are a bargain.

Plus, there is the real pride in owning a pair of these classics, a dream for me since I was a teenager audiophile (I am 61 now). Apart from that sentiment, from the strictly sonic point of view, would I buy new Khorns again? If I could afford them without too much strain, had the corners to put them in and with a good subwoofer, yes indeed.

Regards, /s/ Thomas Longo, Ocean Pines, MD

Great review Tom. Since I had the pleasure of seeing and hearing your khorns I can concur with the way they blend nicely with the room. If you weren't looking for them you may just walk right by. They are beauts though. I love the light oak. I didn't notice the glue flaw however. You must have fixed that before my visit.

Did you find improvement with the other cd player? I did hear the Star Spangled Banner (among others) on them and it was truely impressive. I've discovered the way khorns and classical music go so well together with the sessions I've had both with Tom and particularly with Larry Clare as of late.

I'm really glad you're enjoying the khorns. I still have my opinions on amps but we won't go there.2.gif

There's a chance I will see you this weekend if you're around. I'll let you know as soon as I hear back.

- Gary

I am glad you like your Khorns, but wait until you try your Khorns with tubes... it is quite an experience... it'll happen someday :)

The only way I would go back to SS would be with a McIntosh Autotransformer amp.

All the other SS amps I have used don't do the Khorns justice, they didn;t sound bad, they just sound/image better with tube stuff.

"Did you find improvement with the other cd player?"

GaryMD, yes, the Sanyo CD/DVD player is noticeably fuller in the mid- and low bass than the temporary little CD Walkman-type player I had playing through the Khorns when you were here. Midrange and treble clarity is about the same, though. Tom

----------------

On 10/9/2003 9:14:55 PM 3dzapper wrote:

Gary, why don' you take your 299 on down and demo it for DT? He demo'd his Khorns for you. Return the favor.
2.gif

Rick

----------------

Actually, I was going to suggest that as I did over the summer. Unfortunately, I just got a call from my mother who may need my help this weekend so the trip may be postponed.

When I do go however, the 299 will tag along assuming Tom wants the demo. I can't imagine he wouldn't.

Tom,

I'll keep you posted via email regarding our plans.

- Gary

Further congrats on being a satisfied k-horn owner. And also, thanks for the review. I have enjoyed reading all your posts updating us on your experiences with, and impressions of your knew khorns.

I fully concur on the unobtrusiveness of the snug-in-the-corner klipschorns. It really is amazing how such a behemoth can blend in so seemlessly. The first room I had mine in was 13X16, but they just flat WORKED in that room! High ceilings and one open end helped, Im sure.

Bass can indeed be a problem. With conventional speakers, you can always move them around to dial in the best bass/imaging, but with the mighty k-horn it is the room that must adjust to the speaker! Set-up options are pretty limited, unless you go the false corner route, which while it does free the speakers from the corner, the obtrusiveness factor goes up a herd. I'm considering subs for my rig, too. Maybe a pair of SVS 25-31CS Plus's...someday.

• 3 years later...

My experience with new 2004 Khorns was simlar but took different directions.  These were not my1st set of Khorns.  I owned a pair from the 80's and had only recently parted with them.  My 2004 Khorns were not as well constructed as my earlier Khorns.  The older horns were so identical that I had to match serials numbers to pair the correct bottom with its matching top.  The new Khorns could only go together one way.  The tops had to go to their bases as they would not even assemble any other way.  The sound was immediately noticed to be bright and lacking in base.   This not only from me but from others who had also known both pairs of speakers.  Khorns should not need a subwoofer and in fact these did not.  Once the AK4 was gone the base exploded back on the scene.  A sad note to have to upgrade a new $6,500 pair of speakers from one of the most reknown manufacturers in this country.  In short with help from the members of this Forum my 2004 Khorns are now tweaked and squeaky wonderful.  I only wished I'd bought old and updated.  I'd be a lot less in the red.  

• Moderators

I am glad you like your Khorns, but wait until you try your Khorns with tubes... it is quite an experience... it'll happen someday :)

The only way I would go back to SS would be with a McIntosh Autotransformer amp.

All the other SS amps I have used don't do the Khorns justice, they didn;t sound bad, they just sound/image better with tube stuff.

Yeah,

What he said (and what Gary want's to say, but won't).

Travis

• Moderators

Those Wave amps in your Avatar look familar?

Travis

Good, fair, honest review..............refreshing actually, no bragging just his honest feelings.................but, you should really try a Scott 299 or a unit in the same class............turn off the SUB..........and let her rip...........then re-address your question on Bass response..........you just might discover a new set of speakers........................No matter what...........Your a LUCKY MAN....................

Understand that I am at a better place in my life for audio gear.  I've been able to do things to these I did know I could do let alone wanted or could afford to do.  But the impetus that started the ball rolling was the lack of bass from these speakers.  Before getting the new Khorns I had already gotten into tubes and upscale digital source using RF-7's and my old JBL 4311's.  I lusted after my old Khorn ability.  When they arrived I was dumbfounded.  I did not know what happened.  I thought it was me but that was not the case.  So I started working to improve the system.  I began with the components thinking that tubes were under bass powered.  I tube rolled and eventually went back to SS.  I picked up more from Forum members and started making driver changes.  1st to the 2404 then to the 2482.  I got a center mono channel.  Everything made for better sound.  The SS did help the bass but it was stil obviously lacking.  Then I did Al's ES crossover and WHAM I got bass.  Initially I ran the ES unilaterally against the AK4 and the bass difference was phenomenal.  The bass sounded steroidal on Als set-up and damned anemic with the AK4.  Had I started with Al's crossover I may well have not done many other things incorporated along the way.  That fixed my primary complaint about my new 2004 Khorns.  As it stands now I'm using Als ES crossover on the Khorns and another special crossover he constructed for my center mono channel.  The Khorns use the K-33, the JBL 2482 and 2404 drivers.  The 2482s are on PAudio horns.  My center channel uses just a 2482 (on a 2380 horn) and the 2404 tweeter.  I run the Accuphase E530 integrated using a Sony ES777 source.  The Khorns set about 18 feet apart and the mid/tweeters are further pulled lateral and forward sitting on the outer litmit of the Khorns base bin.  The center channel sits back about 1.5 feet behind the plane of the Khorns.  It uses a passive summation circuit with variable volume control.  I hope someday to get tractrix horns for the 2482 drivers.  The reproduction is extremely marvelous and better than my old Khorns by a ton.  Of course the whole system is better by a ton.....but I'm worth it.

"Then I did Al's ES crossover and WHAM I got bass. "

OK, so you had AK-4's before.

So basiclly, you like the sound of steeper sloping xovers vs the gentle sloping ones.

I've listened to the ES400+ES5800, and agree, they feather out the bass quite well.

"Then I did Al's ES crossover and WHAM I got bass. "

OK, so you had AK-4's before.

So basiclly, you like the sound of steeper sloping xovers vs the gentle sloping ones.

I've listened to the ES400+ES5800, and agree, they feather out the bass quite well.

I do not know what crossover was in my 82 Khorns but the bass it rendered was decidedly better than what the AK4 crossover did in the 2004 Khorns.  The Khorns are known for bass.  The gentleman who initiated this post had the same "lack of bass" reaction as me and he had no prior Khorn experience to reference from.  He solved his problem be getting a subwoofer.  The ES network is better in many respects but it also not cheap.