OT: SPAM

dodger

Hello:

I don't know if this has happened to the rest of you. This has been the only Forum in which I have made note of my email address in a post. That was a mistake.

Keeping track of sites visited with the one address: eBay, Audiogon, Klipsch Forum. One (1) out of three (3) allows for posting, the other two state no info selling, sharing, trading.

80 SPAM messages since 6:00 last night. No opening of any address I do not recognize, no sending to "Unsubscribe." Set to blank, then delete. Also this is only place for dodger, that showed up.

No stating anyone here or Klipsch is Spamming. Have a great number of lurkers.

So in short PM and put email address in there.

Anyone else getting extreme amounts of spam?

dodger

Actually not at all. My email is on a lot of different sites and I do get a hefty hefty share of spam, but I do not feel any of it is related to this site. Do you buy things from online stores other than eBay? Is your email a Hotmail or Yahoo type account? I have one particular hotmail that only family knows about, yet I get spam every once in a while even on that one. It's a sad truth, but something I just have to deal with..

I used to get about 15 emails a day from "winegarden" then another set from "ljohanson" and then even more from "MITResume". So I got MailWasher Pro and before Outlook even got a gander at my email, MailWasher Pro had already removed all the bad emails, without me having to worry about viruses or any of that. Since then I have added on FireTrust Benign (B9) which is made by the same people that make MailWasher and MailWasher Pro. I highly recommend this combination.

Why is it called SPAM...SPAM is in a CAN....

Comercials on TV are COMERCIALS....

ADS in magazines are ADS...

but on the internet, poor ole SPAM gets the dubious name of the crap the advertising they send ya....

Can we all agree it is just a form of advertising no different then those telemarketers.....(the lowest of all lowlifes)

I just cannot believe people actuially buy from SPAM or telemarketers....someone is else it would not exist.....

PEACE

----------------

On 10/15/2003 12:10:22 PM justin_tx_16 wrote:

I typically put justin(at)soundwise.org or justin at soundwise.org, bots search the net for "johndoe@janedoe.com", get rid of the "@" and you save yourself a lot of headache, they also search for mailto: in html.

----------------

Hello Justin and all:

I received a phone call from a very good friend of more than 30 years, advising the same. We were on the subject of the Forum.

All are in agreement. I now know the value of making sure to state "at" rather than the symbol. Much learned each day.

dodger

----------------

On 10/15/2003 3:33:16 PM Bill H. wrote:

Dodger,

I was getting alot of Spam, by I quit reponsing to the Publisher Clearning house offers to win lots of money,,,,,,,,,,thus my email spam has dropped off Alot.............. You been hanging on any Female picture sites???????? lol

----------------

Hello:

Only to get a reply from Paul.

It is funny the timing of replies and who decides to reply. I've noticed a couple of times coming in, replying and finding that someone has posted just about the same thing.

Keeps our minds sharp.

Win dodger

Maybe I'm just lucky...

I download and test a *LOT* of software. I visit and contribute (well, post anyway...) at a lot of forums. I've been on this board since, uh, 1999. About the only thing I never, ever use is AOL. Whenever I download trial software, sign up for a technical support forum, register with a vendor, fill out a survey, or join a BBS community, I *ALWAYS* use my real email address.

I've never had a problem with spam.

I get may one or two unsolicited emails a week, and they are always related to one specific group, the SED users forum at Yahoo. But, I get a lot of useful tips from that group, so putting up with the minor amount of spam is not a big deal.