SANTIGOS IN THE HOUSE!!!!

garymd

Actually, they're still in the car and my wife's still in bed so all is still peaceful here.1.gif I figure they'll be in the house by the time this thread ends.

OMFG - These are beautiful!!! (excuse my profanity but these are worth it). They have the slate tops and the veneer is almost perfect. 1 small chip on the top front of each speaker and the grills are missing the foam. I can re-cover the grills and they do have the emblems which are perfect. I guess they used the same grills for the valencias since the grill has the 2 ports cut out.

I'll let you know when I get them inside. First they will be auditioned with the scott upstairs. I have to. Then I'll figure out where to put them downstairs, a little re-arranging.

He replaced the woofers a few years ago with some poly-material woofers. I'm sure that's not a good thing but the horns are perfect. It all looks new and they sounded great on his old pioneer SX-???? (radio only).

He was thrilled to get the BO$E! I mean jump up and down and do a couple twirls thrilled (if you know what I mean).

I'll continue this when I can get someone over to help me bring them in.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He was thrilled to get the BO$E! I mean jump up and down and do a couple twirls thrilled (if you know what I mean).

That is just hilarious !! Did you succeed and have him not audition the bose before the trade or did he actually hear them before the trade was done ?

Craig

Gary,

What a coincidence! My wife is still in bed, too! I'll sneak out and be right over. How many thousand miles do I travel on I-80 before taking which offramp?

Remember, when she wakes up and discovers the Santiagos, act as though you cannot see them. If that doesn't work, pull a "Fred Sanford:" "I'm comin', Liz'beth!!"

fini

I succeeded. He kept asking, "They do sound pretty good, right? Enough bass?" I assured him that for the size they sound really good. I told him he'd be dissappointed if he expected them to sound like the altecs but I think he'll be happy.

As I was pulling away, he said he was going to hook them up right now! He also gave me a space heater that he no longer needed and offered me a brand new Trek mountain bike for $150.

----------------

On 10/18/2003 9:32:37 AM fini wrote:

Gary,

What a coincidence!
My
wife is still in bed, too! I'll sneak out and be right over. How many thousand miles do I travel on I-80 before taking which offramp?

Remember, when she wakes up and discovers the Santiagos,
act as though you cannot see them.
If that doesn't work, pull a "Fred Sanford:" "I'm comin', Liz'beth!!"

fini

----------------

Just keep driving. If you get to the Atlantic Ocean, you've gone too far.

I hear stirring from upstairs. Uh oh.6.gif

I hope she wakes up in a good mood.

I saw those Guy. Even with the problems they seem to have, are they worth buying and for how much? I also just emailed my Altec friend who has a basement full of this stuff. Hopefully he can come up with a pair for me or else I'm ebay bound.

Thanks!

Also, the other pair on ebay look much worse but are at $200.

I don't know what to say. These pair http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3051289937&category=50597 needed a recone and went quite high. OTOH, if you'll manage to find a pair at one of the dealers, the price would probably be much higher.

You should know how much they should be worth for you, not me, but I do tend to prefer original examples to tweaked ones.

You need to be cautious. A pair needing new surrounds can have other problems, as well. I bought a pair of AR woofers needing new surrounds. When I finally got a chance to take them in to the shop, I was told they were unrepairable (unless I was to have them attempt a rebuild, which I am sure would be cost prohibitive). Just something to inquire about when evaluating replacements.

BTW, anyone know of a shop that can economically rebuild my AR woofers (for the LST's)? The shop I usually use $ trust is A Brown Soun in San Rafael, CA.

fini

Hey all,

She hasn't seen them yet but I warned her of their size. I don't know what exactly he did with the woofers yet until I open them up. Hopefully he had them reconed but I don't know for sure.

My neighbor's son is going to help me bring them in in a little while. Klipschfoot and JBryan both offered to help but I think I have everything under control. Thanks to both of you for offering!

I'll post in a while to let you know how the porcupine is making out.2.gif Actually she's been ok with it so far other than a couple minor outbursts. The gas man was here to read the inside meter at 9:00 this morning while I was out picking them up and of course this woke her up. My fault. I was off doing my stereo thing instead of letting in the gas man in. I'm such a rotten husband!11.gif

Fini-

I'm surprised that A Brown Soun proclaimed your AR woofers "unrepairable". They did my AR-10pi woofers for about $65 each. Not the cheapest but the work they did was terrific. When I was looking for local speaker repair services only two companies came up: A Brown Soun in San Rafael and Neal's Speaker Repair in Sacramento. Both had high recommendations. Neal's web site is http://www.nealspeakerrepair.com/.

Best of luck!