LaScala Center

ssh

Last weekend,I had the pleasure of meeting Dee,at a beautiful spot in Scott,Arkansas.I hope to visit longer next time.My emphasis in literature was the Romantic period,so the pastoral setting seeped deep into my pores.He's at a sweet little spot,with a century-old stone-and-woodworked- church close at his left hand.A pretty well-centered place to be,if you ask me.Bypassing a regret,I took a few minutes to go into the sanctuary with him.Wow,Thanks,Dee!

The purpose of the 250 mile round trip was to pick-up a pr of LaScalas to replace the RC7 center of my HT with the more timbre-matching LaS.I use Khorns in front,and LaScalas for rear channel surrounds.

I've used it now for 5.1 music and several movies.It is a serious improvement for multi-channel music,BUT,it cannot touch the quality of dialogue sound produced by the RC7.I'm very surprised by this,and considering how I'm going to incorporate both into my system.At this point,I'm glad I didn't sell one of my RC7s.

SSH

What have you been smoking? Not to sound off or anything. But for someone that ownes Khorns I was quite surprised at your statement. I'm sure there are many here that would be happy to take the la scala off your hand to use as a center in ther HT.

The only thing I can say is we all hear differently. Thats why we are all so special

Huhhhhh? The RC-7 sounded better for dialogue than the La Scala? Say What? The La Scala was designed to produce voices very well so I am puzzled. When I replaced my KV-4 with the La Scala it was a big improvement for movies and music. I just cannot imagine that the RC-7 would be better, maybe you have not given your ears enough of a chance to adjust to the different sound. Did you reset the parameters on the receiver to compensate for the La Scala? How is it positioned? Are you using both or just the single one? Are all the drivers functioning correctly? The only trouble I have with mine is if I am sitting off axis from it in my rocker-recliner sometimes I have to turn it up a bit to hear the vocals but that is it. But as stated all of our hearing is different.

I know this is a different situation but I thought the academy blew away the heresy for dialogue. Many disagreed with me. I'm the one that has to listen though.

Truthfully, I am suprised at your findings since the lascala has such a great mid-horn that even out-voices the belle.

Whatever sounds better to you is what's most important.

I've A/B tested them dozens of times during various types of soundtracks.There's no comparison in detail of music,but the RC7 does a better job with dialogue.The LaS is on its'side,below the TV.The RC7 is on the wall.Position may be a factor.As I said before,I have been surprised.

I plan to put the other LaS in the back,between my other pr,but the squawker isn't working & I don't have project time now.My rear centers are RC7s for a 7.1 layout,but are seldom used.

SSH

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the kind word. Yep, this is a peaceful setting and good for the soul. There were some photographers out here yesterday doing a shoot so the church can be included in the December issue of Little Rock Monthly along with five or six other churches in the Little Rock area.

That is a most interesting observation that the LaScala doesn't provide as well for the dialogue in center channel. I'm surprised by that, but have read some other posts about folks preferring another center channel solution, over say, a Heresy.

I'm wondering how an ALK crossover network in the La Scala center would help. I haven't ever changed the default setup on my ALK's, but perhaps to boost the squawker output would help here.

Well, now you know where I stay, hope we can get together sometime to give these HDBR Builder homebrew Scalas a workout with the Wright 2A3's and Njoe Tjoebs.

Best regards,

Dee

Dee,I'll look for it.Congratulations.

Frzninvt,Your off axis comment suggests to me that what I said about position may be my problem.I'm getting a significant improvement in music sound,but the dialogue isn't even close to the quality of the RC7.I am sitting so that I am facing the woofer,with the squawker just to my left.

SSH

I too am surprised at the results. I am waiting for delivery of a pair of La Scalas, of which I will use one for my center channel to replace my Chorus II. I wanted teh LaS to better timbre match my Belle mains. Now I am really anxious to set the LaS up and have a listen myself. Of course, the Chorus II is going to be different than your former center.

"The LaS is on its'side,below the TV."

I think this is where the problem lies. With it on its side the midrange dispersion is going to be wide vertical and narrow horizontal and you will be getting a very quick floor bounce which will reduce clarity since the mid-horn is so close to the floor.

For a center channel you basically want the exact opposite... wide horizontal and narrower vertical.

Any chance you can try the La Scala standing upright? Or maybe with the mid horn removed from the cabinet and laying horizontal on top of the La Scala vertically aimed at the listening position?

Shawn

"That sure will put my very heavy TV very high off the floor."

That is almost the height my TV is off the ground. I like it up that high as it feels more cinematic looking slightly up as compared to looking down. Took two people to get it up there though.

Shawn

Dee,

The ALKs will make a difference.As you know,I have them in my other LaS & Khorns,& will have them in these.This is almost certainly a dispersion issue.I have read of LaS used on their sides under TVs,but I'm becomming convinced that the squawker is getting garbled in my carpet,with little clear dialogue sent horizonally.I thought that if others were happy, then it should work for me.I will also say that I'm impressed with the RC7.It has served me very well.

SSH

"I think it weighs 270 lbs.I guess I'd better mention beer."

Wow, that is a lot heavier then what I have. Is it going to be on the La Scala or do you have some other way of elevating/supporting it? I kinda doubt a 270lb TV is going to be La Scala sized and I'm not sure I'd want to support that much weight just on a La Scala.

Good luck getting things turned around.

Shawn

I'm sure that you thought of this, but why not put the TV on the floor where it belongs? Then build something to hold the LaScala upside down over the TV. I used a C7 over the TV for a short time before going to a LaScala. The LaScala was a big improvement. I never thought about bring the C7 out of the closet again.