Anyone have a picture of the RC-7 , RF-7 , RB-75 compression driver?

Pistol Pete

Anyone have a picture of the RC-7 , RF-7 , RB-75 compression driver...I was just curious what it looked like. I have seen the RF-35s driver and its a tiny guy. :) I was wondering if the larger 1.75" driver looked anything like some of JBLs huge compression drivers. I'd also like to see what the woofers look like.

Thanks

Working on the web parts list. We've been editing our master list and at the moment it is several hundred pages! Too big to be of use on the web I think. I'll check for RF-35 pix, but don't remember having any.

A compression driver is one in which the output of the dome or cone is compressed by forcing it through a smaller opening than the diameter of the cone / dome. In a horn loaded driver, this compression of the air makes it move faster, just like using the mouthpiece on a brass instrument. Ever notice that it has a big end where you put your mouth and a small end where it connects to the trumpet or whatever? Why don't they just have the small end of the trumpet the same size as the big end of the mouthpiece? Because narrowing the tube makes the air move faster (Bernouli or somebody) which makes the air in the horn resonate and also follow the shape of the horn. In a horn loaded speaker, it's important for the air to follow the profile of the horn so the horn does its job. Think of a car in a wind tunnel. Is is a "gentle zephyr" tunnel? NO it's a WIND tunnel, as in fast moving air. Why fast moving? Because slow moving air would not follow the contour of the car. Thus, fast moving air follows the contour of our horns (laminar flow) and the horns can do their magic. But to get the air to move fast you need to use compression drivers. This is a very big difference between Klipsch horn loaded drivers and other brands that use what look like horns in front of "regular" drivers (non-compression types). Compression drivers are much more expensive, but they work.

i think it is a ceramic and metal composite material that i am sure has low deformation properties...the stuff that my wife does as a material science engineer...stuff i find utterly boring9.gif

klipsch probably holds a patent on the material...i will say i did like the black dust caps better than the all copper ones8.gif