Please don't laught, but what should I do?

cdsang

Now that I can make decent money, I buy my parents at least one presant for chrismas. No not a 10 doller gift, more like 100 and up. My dad has a Bose system. I would like to help get him in the right direction. My question is, what sub should I get him? My thoughts were RW-8,10, or 12 and if I could get the money, RF-3IIs. The prices range from $250-600 The RW-8 isn't a problem, the 10 seems to start pushing it, and even the 12 seems iffy. Anyway, what should I get him?

CD

I was actually going to run it with the Bose system. I know my dad wants to make his own system later. I dunno how much later, but I suppose an RW might not be the best way. I was thinking going with SVS or RSW. I know I know, SVS/RSW with Bose. Sounds like a joke. I guess the most it may have to keep up with would be RF-3IIs. My dad doesn't need a refernec level system. I bet something like 105dB clean would be the number. Also it would be a movies only sub. The room is about a 20 by 10 foot room, but the liveing room section is closer to 10 by 10 feet opened up to another room. I dunno what the best would be, but we will see what you think. Thank you in advance.

CD

First off it would be pointless to add a subwoofer if he has a Bose system that has the bass module and the cubed satellites (AM Series?). However, if he has like Bose 201's, 301's, 4.2's, 501's, 601's etc. any of the subwoofers you mentioned would work well.

Belive it or not, a few years back I used my old KSW-100 with the bose system. As long as my sub and the module were on oposite sides of you, it worked.Same thing were we live now were its set up. I think he wants one actually. Anyway thou, if I am not going to get him a sub, then I dunno what to get him. As we all know, speakers are a personal thing. I dunno what he likes. So if I get him say, RF-3IIs, he might not like it. The only thing I think that would work well is the RW stuff. But the idea was to get him started. But also give him something that won't be outdone when he gets his speakers, then all of a sudden he can't use it. I make that mistake already. But I do thank you for your advice. If I can think of anything, I'll come back here.

CD

I faced a similar situation with my dad.

I did not want to goes with Bose because their is no upgrading at all. I started my Dad off with a cabridge sound system and a Panasonic receiver, $700.

WE are keeping the receiver and the surrounds will stay for now. He is now running an SVS PB1isd and will be running RF3II or RF25.

I would recommend taking that money that would be spent on the Bose stuff and but an entry level denon, HK, Pioneer or another respected name in audio, snag a decent sub and front/front and chince on the surrounds now.

There has to be an online dealer that can put a dencent package together for around $1200. If you are interested in doing something like that I would be willing to lend a hand searching the web for good prices because I know how much my dad enjoys his system and it makes me feel good inside being able to enjoy it with him.

Send me a PM or email

Scott