Yamaha /Klipsch owners, are the front effect channels worth doing?

Pistol Pete

I would not mind trying out the front effects channels on my receiver but dont really want to spend $300 for some speakers if they are not going to make a decent difference, furthermore two more speaker are really going to clutter things up.

Are any of you guys running the front effects channels and is it worth it?

I suppose your room size would make a big difference as to wether or not these extra channels would work and my room is small but still I want to hear from you guys who are using these extra channels.

I've got mine on my DSP-A1000 hooked, I have since it was brand new, so I don't know what it would sound like without them. I'm using EPI-70's and custom built stands for them. Tell you the truth, I'll be in the market for something new soon and am kind of looking forward to getting rid of the clutter.

The only advice I can give is possibly borrow some speakers or go to a local dealer with a good return policy and try it out for yourself.

I don't have much time right now so this will be a little short. I'm in the middle of making some changes and I'm going to use modified Klipschorns for the mains and center channel. The Klipschorns will have an Altec midrange and JBL tweeters. I now have room to put a Klipschorn above the TV. I used to have a LaScala there, but I wanted more bass from it. In the picture I have a University Classic in the front center position serving temporary duty.

Yes, in the back I'm using stacked speakers in each corner for the surrounds, more ambiance that way. The bottom is a Jensen Imperial cabinet loaded with Klipschorn drivers and network. The speaker on top of the Imperial is a LaScala. The Imperial offers about 6dB more output then the Klipschorn from 60 Hz and down. I like this for those rear effects and explosions.

An RX-V3000 is used as a Pre and only powers the front effect LaScala Speakers and the rear Imperials. I use a Outlaw bass manager between the 3000 and a six channel McIntosh power amp. The McIntosh powers the Mains, front and rear centers and the rear LaScalas.

The Outlaw(ICBM) cuts the mains and center off at 40hz. The rear LaScalas are cut off at 60 Hz., maybe 80 I don't remember right now.

Yamahas front effect channels play a mix of what the mains do with some time delay added in. This gives you a wider soundstage and that live concert sound. Something that I can't live without now. Placement is supposed to be above and to the far left and right of your mains.

TO ME, the front effects are a waste of time. I only use Neo:6 and Dolby Digital and 8 channel stereo. In 8 channel stereo I cannot really tell they are there. It was a waste of my money. At first I thought the 25 watts per channel was the problem so I put a 100 watt external amp to those speakers and still could not tell a real difference. I currently have disconnected them as the wife thought the system became a bit cluttered with those extra speakers.

I would rather them concentrate on 7.1 instead.

I'm not familiar with the RX-V3300, but I've used other (probably older) Yamaha surround gear and I generally wasn't impressed with their DSPs. Way too heavy-handed. Like they were designed to show well in a noisy HiFi Buys demo room. I hear their more recent DSPs are better, but in general I don't like synthesized effects.

You might try borrowing a pair of speakers to check it out, but I'd consider it a risk to invest not knowing the result to expect.