Is it safe to put treble/bass knobs on receiver to far right?

lancestorm

offended? Oh heavens no man, you never offended man. I was just re-iterating that indeed I like it like this and that there was nothing with my toys. As far back as I can remember I have always turned up the treb and bass controls like this on what ever system I have owned. 1.gif

MooN,

I found a cure for your bass and treble loss!

You have to buy a wig and wear it when you listen to your fave girls band,the Spicy Galz. Study shows all baldies with shiny craniums reflect bass and treble,and project waves at their sourroundings.

Imagine the new found bass and upper range,you will be able for the forst time in YEARS to experience real audiophile drama.

1.gif

Lancestorm:

"Currently I have the 525 set to neutral (12 noon) on both treble and bass. I find the treble to be up a bit high sometimes. Would it be safe to maybe place the treble 3/4 of the way to the right (say 1:30 - 2pm)"

Maybe I'm missing something here, but if you find the treble to be too high with the control set flat, why would you want to turn the treble control up????

wow...y'all are too up tight about "pure" audio. because of the way the human ear percieves loudness, it is perfectly natural and often even sounds better when the highs and the lows are exagerated. even so much as a 20db increase around 30hz and 10db increase around 16k adds so much life to music.

if you've ever mixed in a studio, with everything perfectly flat response, you'll experience some of the most lifeless music to be found...but it's natural for the soundguy to compensate, and what effectively happens is boosted highs and lows. it's done on purpose, we call it referencing and this process is more accurate the wider and flatter the freq response is inside the studio.

for example, a studio that doesn't reproduce the lows, often puts out material that has way too much low end on better gear. and the opposite happens when the studio has too much bass...it sounds lacking in other places.

so why talk about the studio? well, since every studio is different, audio manufactures try to compensate for the dilema by introducing tone controls, to allow for flexibility. every tone control is different, but only one rule applies: make it sound good. if you refuse to use tone controls, then you must adapt your listening environment to that of each studio you're listening from. (unless you're bloody rich, this is a way bogus approach)...even then, you are subject to the ear of the mixer, which is most certainly different from your own ear.

as a sidenote...it's "incorrect" to use tone controls to compensate for the room. tone controls are for compensating with the source material (as william has discussed). you still gotta treat the room, otherwise it'll sound out of place.

anyways, enough babbling from me...i know i didn't paint the concepts very well, but maybe that'll come with age. to help justify myself: i know i'm young (19), but i've been mixing for over 10 years now (it'll be 11 years this winter). i currently run and maintain a really nice recording studio, and have been mixing live performances all over the place. all that to say, i see more of the production side as it relates to home audio and im hoping i might be able to suggest another way to look at it.

all my mentors (other soundguys way better than me) are always yellin at me when i comment on how much they're turning knobs. they tell me to close me eyes and use my ears, let them make the decision.

btw, im also aware that the need to over EQ might be another problem....like reversed phase and all that. i don't think moon has those problems 2.gif

anyways, i was supposed to stop mumbling a while ago, but i get carried away sometimes. from the words of the cool guy running the 7/11 down the street, "thank you, come again!" 10.gif

actually....

if you read the posts again, you will see that no one is "uptight" about "pure" sound.... in fact, this forum is pretty cool compared to several other forums out there... you can almost get banned if you even mention tone controls on some sites....

we all were just commenting on our experiences with klipsch speakers and tone controls....

as i mentioned earlier.... i let my pioneer receiver adjust each channel with its built-in 5 band eq....

with the touch of one button i can bypass these settings.... in my limited use with this feature (i've only had the receiver since friday!) i find myself using the eg settings about half the time..... otherwise i push the "direct" button and go flat....

eeek, sowwy...i didn't mean to come across all negative like that. i keep forgetting the inflection of one's voice doesn't get conveyed in text. (aka, i was joking a bit).

i know it's a bit off topic, but im curious as to other sites to go running around on. this forum is already a treasure chest of knowledge, but it's interesting to find alternative perspectives...and maybe even bring em back.

anyways, i don't even have tone controls on my stuff at home, so i feel left out 8.gif2.gif

DR Who

Great post... Love that your into the recording process and can relate to room accoustics to others in non techno-babble style. Just as you said different recordings sound different because of the room used to record them, and the equipment to get that sound and of course, and your playback transducers. (speakers)

One great thing I used to try to explain on here, is in the end, everyone can get as much or as little Klipsch as he /she wants... and be happy with it. They each have a unique sound. Big is not always best, in every situation. And older Heritage vs newer REF "Bragging Wars" will go on forever. Much like a pro athlete a in an era 20-40 yrs ago vs todays high paid performers.

The main thing in the end no matter what anyone sais on here or you read in a magazine..is this.. WHAT DO YOU LIKE?

My 2 cents.

Minn Male you are such a Dork! If your sole purpose is to chime in from time to time and aggravate people then why don't you take up a new hobby like fishing, aren't there 1,000 lakes in Minnesota, time to get busy. P.S. you whined and cried about the use of EQ's and you use the crappy 5-band version in your Pioneer - what a hypocrite!

"Minn Male you are such a Dork! If your sole purpose is to chime in from time to time and aggravate people then why don't you take up a new hobby like fishing, aren't there 1,000 lakes in Minnesota, time to get busy. P.S. you whined and cried about the use of EQ's and you use the crappy 5-band version in your Pioneer - what a hypocrite!"

for what it's worth....

1. i was pointing out the fact that you were spouting WRONG INFORMATION....... (attenuate means to lessen the sound) i found it really amazing that someone with all of your background and experience with audio didn't know such a basic fact... didn't any of the owners manuals of all that dbx equipment you own mention the word "attenuate"?

2. i do fish... i love it....and it's actually 10,000 lakes.... (do you ever bother to check your facts....or just make them up as you go along????)

3. i expressed an opinion awhile back in a thread about equalizers...... i still stand by that opinion (although slightly modified).....equalizers tend to add noise into the sound chain..... i should add.... "analog equalizers".... if you had bothered to do any checking about the "crappy eq's" in my pioneer....you would have found out that all the equalization is done in the digital domain..... no analog noise added at all.... i still would never add an analog equalizer into my signal chain....

and finally.... you obviously don't read much on this forum if you think my sole purpose is to aggravate people.....

and i'm the dork.....

LOL...what a loser!!!

Hey mOOn, I can understand what you're saying, and relate to it. Apparently, a lot of other people can, also. Where do you think they came up with the term "Smile Curve" for eq's? BTY, in another post that showed a Khorn in a small room with a rack and TT sitting right next to it, did you notice how the user had his eq set? 9.gif

Not saying it's the "ideal" or the way I listen ALL the time, but I, too, have always had a little boost to both my bass and treble. I just like it that way.

----------------

On 10/27/2003 7:47:21 PM Champagne taste beer budget wrote:

Hey mOOn, I can understand what you're saying, and relate to it. Apparently, a lot of other people can, also. Where do you think they came up with the term "Smile Curve" for eq's?

----------------

EXACTLY! That is how I have always had my eq's set in the past. And no I didn't notice that eq in the image. Will have to go back and check it out.

i have the pioneer VSX-55TXi , i just got it the other day. but i have an old tv set,one with only one cable jack in the back,so i dont get the on screen display to set up my suround sound. any ideas on how to solve this,other than a new tv set??

i saw you had a pioneer as well, and thought you might be able to help me.

thanx alot ,

roy

----------------

On 11/3/2003 9:44:08 AM roystr wrote:

i have an old tv set,one with only one cable jack in the back,so i dont get the on screen display to set up my suround sound. any ideas on how to solve this,other than a new tv set??

----------------

If you want to connect your older TV to the monitor out of your receiver, swing by Radio Shack & pick up their new Stereo RF Modulator. They just put out one that transmits in stereo, even though you will not be using the audio part of it. I picked up one to transmit my TiVo all over the house, & I noticed that it has a much better picture than the older mono unit.

Keep in mind that this will still be a inferior picture than a newer TV with s-video or componant inputs.