Very Best of The Grateful Dead

garymd

I know it sounds silly that I picked this up tonight at Target since I own at least 40 different versions of each song but this is a newly released best of in HDCD and it sounds better than any I've heard.

If you want a good variety of studio Dead on CD, this is a great one to get.

----------------

On 10/26/2003 12:16:22 AM Woodog wrote:

Amazing what you'll find at target. You know you're old when 'touch of grey' is on the music rotation at Ace Hardware. LOL

My two favorite studio albums are Ace and Blues for Allah.

Forrest

----------------

Forrest,

I have Ace on lp somewhere. Thanks for reminding me. It's Bobby's best by far.

Don,

It just sounded like a good way to start the sentence.

2.gif Actually, there is so much music I want to buy and I end up buying something I have many, many versions of already. It was worth it though. Really great recordings. Actually, the Dead have re-released almost all their lps in HDCD format.

The first cd I ever bought when I got my first cd player in the 80s was Terrapin Station. It was done so poorly I thought all cds must be bad. Luckily I was wrong. I'll be curious to see if they re-release that in HDCD. Terrapin Station is such a great song (with the orchestra and all) it is a shame they did such a poor job on the original.

Yea Ace is great. Mabey it is because Jerry and most of the GD played on the album as well. I have workingmans dead on DVD audio it sounds far better than the red book cd. I have just about all the studio work on vinyl and a good bit on cd. GD live is the best. Enjoy the hdcd it is a bit better than the standard. To me I like Vinyl the best it just sounds better.

----------------

On 10/26/2003 8:08:04 PM hightone wrote:

Yea Ace is great. Mabey it is because Jerry and most of the GD played on the album as well. I have workingmans dead on DVD audio it sounds far better than the red book cd. I have just about all the studio work on vinyl and a good bit on cd. GD live is the best. Enjoy the hdcd it is a bit better than the standard. To me I like Vinyl the best it just sounds better.

----------------

I agree with you regarding the vinyl. My wife bought me American Beauty, Workingman's Dead and Live Dead on 180 gram re-issue last Father's Day and to me it doesn't sound as good as the original lps for some reason.

As I continue scouring my vinyl collection, I keep finding Dead lps that I bought in the 70s, played once to tape, and put away. I have some real gems. Now that I'm back into playing vinyl, they're getting lots of use. The other day I found a copy of "Steal Your Face" which had never even been played!

That Ace lp is a pretty rare find. My cover is pretty beat up but the lp is in pretty good condition.

----------------

On 10/26/2003 6:01:52 PM garymd wrote:

Actually, there is so much music I want to buy and I end up buying something I have many, many versions of already. It was worth it though.

----------------

I've been doing something that is a complete departure from my usual routine. I've been buying music suggested here, mostly of female jazz vocalists.

This past month I've picked up

'Take Love Easy' - Ella Fitzgerald and Joe Pass

'Dinah Washington in the land of Hi Fi'

Murray Perahia - Bach's Goldberg Variations

Admittedly, that last one ain't jazz by any stretch, and I'm familiar with the Goldberg Variations, but for 2.99??? What a score! Murray Perahia is an excellent intrepeter as well.

I heard a female vocalist on Jazz After Hours (NPR).. Diane Reeves. I'm looking for her work next.

Gary, you turned me on to some excellent jazz and that is seeing heavy play.

As far as Dead LP's go.. I've got all of em, the good, the bad, and the ugly. Most were bought new and well cared for, and all are still in the boxes downstairs even though I haven't had a turntable for some time now. The only dead LP that I bought that wasn't new was Garcia's first solo project, the cover being the american flag theme with his arm coming up through it. Even though it was used when I bought it, it is still in very good condition.

Hell, I've even got about 200 or so albums of my mom's that she gave me (a few years ago) from the late 40's, 50's, and early 60's. Now that I'm reading about titles fetching >100 in some cases, I'm itching to check out what's down there in those boxes.

I need to get a turntable.

In many ways I'm luckier than a man (that still has to work) has a right to be!

well, gotta go,

Forrest

(As usual, Marky comes late to the party)

Indeed, Ace is a very good record, and as has often been noted, is a Dead record in every way save name.

Even though true Dead afficionados disdain the WB "best of" Skeletons From the Closet, I would maintain that it's a good intro and sampler of the studio Dead for anyone who's just curious enough to listen. My point being, I guess, that there's nothing wrong with a "Best of" Dead album (the starting point of this thread). There's also What a Long, Strange Trip it's Been, which is an interesting Gemisch in its own right.

GaryMD, your comments on the 180 g Dead vinyl reissues seems to be pretty universal. The best sounding Dead LP I have is the early (ca. 1978) MoFI American Beauty. Also my favorite Dead studio album, I think. It's a beautiful,, moving album, and the MoFi, at least, is a beautiful, organic recording. I think the original WB was pretty good too but it's been a long time since I heard one.

Runner-up fave studio Dead for me is aoxomoxoa. I mentioned previously, I think, that I recently got a copy of the original mix of this (W-7 green label). It sounds amazingly good, and it's fun, and revelatory, to hear the even more bizarre mixes of the eclectic suite of songs on that last psychedelic Dead album.

I've got a live CD, "Dead Set" (Arista). I got it as a pressent a few years ago from my daughter. It is classic Dead! Has a really soulful Friend of the Devil and Candyman and one of the best renditions of Brokedown Palace I've ever heard. There are none of the what I call "Starship" era songs on it. I would rank it second to Europe '72 in song selection. The copyright dates are 1981, 1987 but I don't know where or when it was recorded as I can't find the jacket for it. If you run accross this one snap it up. If you are an old time Dead Head you'll love it.

Rick

I have an almost brand new copy of Dead Set at home. I'll look tonight to see what show(s). My son has the poster hanging in his dorm room that came with the lp which is a copy of the cover (S.F Bay bridge on one side connected to ??? Bridge on the other).

----------------

On 10/28/2003 3:31:23 PM garymd wrote:

I have an almost brand new copy of Dead Set at home. I'll look tonight to see what show(s). My son has the poster hanging in his dorm room that came with the lp which is a copy of the cover (S.F Bay bridge on one side connected to ??? Bridge on the other).
----------------

Gary,

If it's the front cover you're talking about, it's the Bay Bridge you see on the left. Which by the way, you only see the portion that goes from San Francisco to Treasure Island. The other part exits Tresure Island and goes to Oakland. It was the Bay Bridge that had a portion collapse during the earthquake of '89.

Chris

Gary,

I thought it was the Brooklyn Bridge and Goldengate Brdige spanning the US, wasn't it? I always thought Dead Set was snippets from 1980 touring.

I'm at work and can't check it out. I have the double album LP and the CD. That was a good one. Nice Jerry guitar hanging in the space getting called into fire (I think) by the rest of 'em.

----------------

On 10/28/2003 3:49:41 PM mark1101 wrote:

Gary,

I thought it was the Brooklyn Bridge and Goldengate Brdige spanning the US, wasn't it? I always thought Dead Set was snippets from 1980 touring.

I'm at work and can't check it out. I have the double album LP and the CD. That was a good one. Nice Jerry guitar hanging in the space getting called into fire (I think) by the rest of 'em.
----------------

Mark,

Could very well be the Brooklyn Bridge. However, it does appear pretty much where the Bay Bridge would be if you were looking south from Marin.

Chris