Khorn project not looking so sweet

Flason

So I finally procrastinated enough and decided to get off my butt and work on the $400 1969 Khorns I picked up a couple of months ago. Sanded both down and will refinish. As I turned one up-side-down, a bunch of roach feces came out the bass bin. Took the woofer out of the one and there must be years of roach crap built on and around the woofer. Woofer and surround in general look intact and the voicecoil doesn't rub, but all the attached crap is sickening. Looks like I will be buying new woofers, so $400 turns into $650. But thats not all. I had to replace both tweeter diaphrams, which I did. So now $650 turnes to $700. Oh, but were not done yet. 2.5 yards of cloth for the grill. $700 turns into $740. Oh yeah. Add another $60 for wood condtioner, stain, poly, sandpaper, brushes, steel wool, $800. Plus the time and effort that I will count as pure enjoyment (right). I think I should have waited until I found a nice set locally for a decent price.

Flason,

You got a bargain if you can get them running right for $800-$1000.I just bought a pr of LaS for $800,& a squawker doesn't work.I'm putting ALKs in & still have a great value.Remember it's a long term investment.You'll love them for a long time.

SSH1.gif

Ssh, I also bought a pair of '81 LaScala's a year and a half ago for $800. They needed to be refinished, but were sonically perfect. I like them so much it's probably the reason I waited so long before getting started on the Khorns. I just know the deals are out there if you're patient. Of course I may have reached my quota for good deals.

Man,you're going to be happy with those.You're just suffering from mid-project crisis.One of my best mods was to staple rubber stair runner material to the tailboard for a tight fit against the corner.I think you got a real bargain,Flason.

SSH

I feel your pain.

JCT is correct. I get bogged down in the middle of a project. Somehow the actual work never goes as fast as imagined. It is good to share with friends, take a rest, and go back with renewed spirits.

I was going to write that I lived in a dorm room with worse conditions than your woofer. But didn't.

Then there was this dream last night about a dorm room at I.I.T. being refurbished after years of non use. There were duck feathers between the window and the exterior screen. It makes some sense in that now there are ducks and geese outside the apartment window and I did stay at the I.I.T. dorms which has a roach problem.

Err, I'm not going any further with this one.

Congrats on the project. Are these the models with an F in the model number for fir plywood?

Best,

Gil

FWIW

My 1982 Khorns were 100 per cent in terms of drivers/crossovers etc. but were in far worse condition cosmetically than yours and I paid about C$2500.00 for them when pickup and restoration costs are factored in.

That said I have nearly finished the needed cosmetic repairs and my wife ( as in WAF ) has literally threatened to punt the family jewels to somewhere north of Pluto if I ever even think of buying any other speakers - Not because of the expense but because their sound and looks blow her mind ( and trust me she is no Barby Doll - To say the least ( She's got a better bod )- She simply now understands waddahell I been looking for all of these years ). She now asks me to play Miles Davis and Stan Getz when we snuggle up in front of the Stereo.

The message ? Get the Klipsch's humming and get more music and errum comfort !

Get those puppies up and running right and neither you or your wife will never look back !11.gif11.gif

I think it was all the roach crap that put a little limp in my refinishing stride. It was disgusting to say the least. There is no way to clean it off. I wish there was. Had to be years of build-up. I live in FL (hence the name FL-son), but a call to the Orkin man every once in a while practically eliminates the pest issues. I will return to the project this weekend. These are the Khorns with the "F" in the model identifier. The box itself did clean-up real well and I did remove the tweet and squaker before I got started. As far as WAF, I don't have one of those. I have been raising the kids on my own for 12 years now. The hobby has been around longer than the girlfriend and I put up with her crap, so she has to put up with mine.

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to clean the roach crap off the woofers as best I can. They are usable, but will be replaced with-in the next year. One is completely finished. I must say, it looks nice. I purchased some speaker grill fabric from JoAnne Fabrics for $7.99 a yard. Beats the heck out of the $52. per yard Klipsch was asking. They don't have the Klipsch emblems on them, but what other speaker looks like this? I will post some pics on Tuesday because the other will be finished by then. I did do some comparison with my LaScalas last night. I had a LaScala on the left channel and the Khorn on the right. I heard a lot more mid-bass with the LaScala. The hyper mid-bass seemed to extend to the mid-range on the LS. The Khorn didn't have such a foward mid section. It was a little more balanced than the LS, almost laid back. I will listen again tonight and update again Tuesday.

Flason

I paid $966.00 for type Ds, no tops, side grills,and no top grills you did fine, at least you have a full type C!

Thats what i made the type Ds into, was a C!

I spent 450.00, and 3 months doing it too.

$450.00 just for all the cosmetic changes to a type C.

They are still being fully enjoyed to this day, i miss my black beauties.

The thing about roaches, it stinks bad especially if you wet it LOL!

I have a reciever i bought once, had the same problem, at least you dont have to clean it out of electrical.

I love my 1975 walnut K-hprns, that wasnt bad at all for $1,200.

Keep going, youll come out just fine!

Regards Jim

9.gif