World's Oldest Klipschorn?? Serial #14

lowthers

This thing must really go back there - PWK used to brag that any Klipschorn made after serial #20 (some flyers say #120) could be brought up to current standards, and then ask if you could do that with your 1948 Cadillac.

Somewhere in the file cabinet I've got an old ebay listing for a K-horn about that old. It had been made by a piano company and sold to Victor Brociner, who then presumably put his own drivers in and resold it. I could be wrong about this - my memory is increasingly hazy about such things.

Well, I might as well look it up. According to PWK's biography, the first twelve K-Horns were made by Baldwin Piano, then the next seven by a cabinet shop, before he set up his own production. Yours may be one of these.

Some pictures would be fun to see.

If you could find the Brociner auction, could you please post it?

I have (presently in storage) a Brociner bass bin (labeled licensed by Klipsch) with a '52 or '53 date. The squawker is labeled Klipsch and dated '47.

The 500/5000 xover seems later as one inductor is an iron core. The woofer is later Klipsch (square magnet).

Cap'n Bob,Maron,

The date of the bass bin isn't marked, the elderly previous owner said '52 or '53 (but he could be mistaken). The number is Brociner Klipsch K-3-B #145.

The squawker is Klipsch K-5 #103 dated '48. University SA-HF driver.

If you find any info regarding these I really would like to see it!

Does this numbering mean this khorn is actually #45? I've been unable to find anything about Brociner Laboratories, NYC. I did see a Brociner amplifier on ePay about a year ago.

Fred

k2dx...I have in my hand a record tag. Ashworth/special # 145. Raw assy. 21 Dec 48 . J lugs for door. stephens P52LX treated 28 cps free..37 cps . 37cps 27 Dec. 48 . final insp. 29 Dec. 48 . At bottem of tag ..PWK.. This #145 orig. George Ashworth from St louis. Ashworth was the MONSANTO chemist Who helped Klipsch on finding special treetment on outer surrounds of early woofers to lower compliance (Fe). Where did you find the bass bin? What high frequency horn is attached to the University driver? How is the bass bin horn finished? If its the #145 I think it is Ive personally listen,d to it hundreds of times. Ill get to the Brocienier connection later.

Maron,

I got it from an elderly gent in North Jersey, and it really didn't look like much, it had been wallpapered

and painted. The woofer is a later Klipsch, with a square magnet. The xover is apparently a late 500/5000

as it has one iron core inductor, early ones had all air core inductors. I believe that there was an 'update'

at some point when the woofer and xover were changed.

There are some differences from my '54 Klipsch bass bin.

The squawker has the ribs in the throat and a SA-HF University driver. k-5. Dated '48 #103.

I would like to put the original woofer back in (if I can locate one), plans are to veneeer it for appearance. The wallpaper is tacky!

I can take some pics this week (it's in storage). As it looks now I fondly call it the craphorn!

Fred

k2dx....The squawker with SA-HF & K-5 is from that time frame. Yes by all means restore the bass bin. Strip & reveneer. Finding a woofer from that time will be difficult. Woofer compliance was treated with dibutylphalate (DBP)to lower fe to 30 Hz or 28 Hz. Stephens P 52LX, Jensen P15LL & few others at that time. Rememberwoofers at that era had higher compliance 50 & 90 Hz were common. Try the K33 for starters. Check to see if speaker board mouth opening is correct 6"x13".

k2dx.....The xover has nothing to do with this paticular unit. It was expiermental. Ashworth had many different woofers tested in this BASS BIN. The bass unit was finished in clear varnish. I dont know who wallpapered the unit (SAD). The J lugs on side door was to help Ashworth get to woofers quickly for testing. This khorn had many high frequency horns & drivers on top. Too many to mention here. I have some of them. Ashworth passed away (I believe) in 1993. All his tech papers were passed on to me as well as the test equipment & additional speakers. Klipschorn #145 was a good test bench & will be missed (for its memories) I hope your restoration efforts will be completed & give this unit a second life.

k2dx,

have you though about just removing the wallpaper and exposing the orig finsh.

Lacured raw plywood. On a test speaker this rare I would think twice about adding veneer.

I love the look of my stock 58 model D in raw plywood. on the other side I have my 51 infull

Dress all stock.

Love to see some pics of your early khorn.maybe its the same horn as my 51 with the

extra wooden flares in the horn

Maron Horonzak,

I would love to read your papers have you thought about making copys avalible

Klipsch fans like the dope from hope papers.

k2dx.....Take pics inside & & outside Closeups preferred. take woffer & woffer board out take pics of these & inside of chamber. + xover + mid driver detials. #145 test bin was a special rugged unit. You might even see some red brick dust in bottem of chamber. This was done to reduce EMF for tighter control of woofer motion on some tests. Dont be shocked this was commen back then. You would be suprized what they did to Klipschorn #14 (inside) The one David Dicks wants to sell. T-3-B-1 T for tentative.

• 3 years later...

Jim, when I go home the next time, I'll call Dicks and try to get photos from the buyer of #14. I have been told it sold locally for a little over $1200, but it came from a usually unreliable contact in town. Good luck on your pursuant acquisition!

BTW - the Klipsch Museum has two of the early ones. Would photos from them help?

Is the prototype/initial khorn still in existence?

Maron..dang I didn't know you were practically famous. Dean made a shipment to me once in a box that had passed through you. There is another gentleman on the forum who occasionally will tell Paul stories, which I find interesting, Dr. Bill I believe.

The Stephans woofer P52LX Woofer cone I saw looked a bit different (before treating) Than that ol rattle trap version on Epay ....A more finished look... Also I never saw a tweeter horn of that type on a stephens...They were a bit smaller.....But for commercial use they might have constructed a few of this size.