HF81 on the Scope 20Hz to 20Khz

NOSValves

"I'm am just dying to get a good quality SET amp in here and see what it looks like. I bet total precision in the Mid Range and rolled top and bottom in a real clean gradual manner."

I should be getting this 300B amplifier project I hoarded from Dan Marshall going within the next month or so.

I'll more than likely be visiting and having the amp on the bench. It was his project he bread-boarded, and he's pretty into measurements.

So I would guess he's put this 6EA7 Allied 1.1 IT circuit through the courses with the scope. It's half the fun or more to him.

Though he uses Sine waves, he seems to work around square waves the most, I dunno....

I'll try to give measurement takes the best I can, as the amp eventually gets finished.

But I'm sure you'll have a SET cross your bench before this happens.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark,

Pretty simple anyone paying $1200 for a turn table will surely move up the scale to other offerings costing way more than a vintage integrated ! Think about it Mark as it is these units do not cost $50 at a garage sale anymore and by the time us techs do what were already doing to them you have hit a ceiling in cost where going much further and it just isn't monetarily smart to invest further. Time is money and I work cheap enough spending hours extra on every amp to diddle the circuit to get the best square wave is just not affordable especially when you figure the results are going to be mediocre at best. I'm sure that not only the circuit is designed for this narrow bandwidth but also the transformers at least to some extent. They sound incredibly good despite the square wave results. The hole point of the vintage integrated is to give my customers a taste of tubes in a affordable manner. If they then decide to go further up the audio chain there are much better candidates to do it with. Like your soon to be offered preamp with some nice either Vintage upgraded power amps or carefully chosen new power amps.

Craig