NOSValves

----------------

On 11/6/2003 3:37:36 PM fini wrote:

----------------

On 11/6/2003 3:08:05 PM Clipped and Shorn wrote:

what's fini doing today.....

C&S

----------------

Trying to cram another console into my garage...

fini

----------------

fini,

That's the first time I've heard it described that way.

Chris

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 11/6/2003 4:10:02 PM DeanG wrote:

I'm interested in facts regarding sex. It sounds more interesting than the stuff Jeff is into right now.

Edmond, you know, Craig works on a lot of Eicos too.

----------------

Changing sex partner might end up costlier than changing your amp. That's my subjective opinion.

----------------

On 11/6/2003 3:20:30 PM rtaylor wrote:

You seem to go off for no apparent reason alot.

Randy

----------------

Randy,

You must have me confused with your friend NOSV. It's a pity you either having trouble comprehending what you read, or haven't taken the time to read some of your hero's past posts. I suggest you do so. Have a nice day.

Klipsch out.

jazman,

Why are you so obsessed with the fact that Craig has not been doing this for long? I, on the other hand, am more impressed by the fact he has learned so much in such a short time! That speaks volumes about his ability to comprehend this stuff. Craig helped me trouble shoot a problem with my MK-III I had been working on all day in just a few min on the phone, and NO he didn't ask for anything in return. Your badgering him is getting old! Get over your jealousy of him, it makes you look so childish!

MB

Fini,

I can clearly picture you stacking them consoles 3 high in your garage and trying to figure how to get just one more layer above that 2.gif Vintage gear is a joy to explore isn't it ! What always amazes me about the consoles is how they all still seem to work !

Craig

Trying to cram another console into my garage...

fini

----------------fini,

That's the first time I've heard it described that way.

Chris

----------------

Yeah, talk about a painful reality...

fini

Wow, what a hot thread!!

A few comments from one not really qualified to comment.

1) A lot of people talking but not very much constructive being said, though a few have had some good comments on the topic and the images presented by Craig.

2) I'm glad to hear I'm not the only person that is interested in consoles.

3)Measurements are certainly not the end all to good sound, though they can certainly be a good tool if you know that, i.e., you do NOT like an amps sound when it overshoots above a certain point, or when it rolls off beyond a certain rate, then you can adjust backwards from there on a scope to get back to where you did like the sound.

4) I have an old SUN scope sitting upstairs with a 5 X 7 screen that still works. I used to use it for things like testing injector rise and decay time and MAF frequency outputs, but then bought a scope dedicated to automotive type uses. It has nowhere near the speed of the SUN, which was a true ossciliscope. Could the old SUN be used for taking these measurements if I ever get that in depth into tube stuff, or would I be better off buying a $5-600 dual trace unit. I've been thinking about getting one anyway, the dedicated one just is too slow, even though it was purportedly built for that function.

5) I heartily agree with the automotive analogy. Naturally. If anyone reads any of the auto rags, they'd know that anymore there are usually multiple ranking, stop clock performance being one, but also ride quality, interior/exterior styling, steering/brake/ride "feel", and a weighted cost factor, amoung others. It's not always the fastest horse that wins the race. If it was as simple as more watts = better sound, would anyone be listening to tubes instead of SS?

How anyone can argue a qualitative point is beyond me. Like two guys in a bar getting in a fight over which of two women is the better looking. If it's what you like, GREAT! Just don't try and tell me what I'M supposed to like, ok??

I was referring more generally (not ad hominem) to the oft repeated utterance that numbers (graphs, known physics, specifications, etc.) do not completely explain the "whole" story about how a system sounds (ultimately a subjective appraisal, but ultimately connected to reasons, some known, some to become known, and some beyond knowing ).

No one here believes that the physics completely explains one's preferences, so it is never news when someone states it, and by the very fact that it gets stated implies to me that the person(s) stating it seem to think that it needs to be said, and I do not feel that it ever does, it is simply too obvious.

The part about people being afraid of math was flip and not meant to be the real gist of what I was getting at. There are many here who are exceptional in this area, so good.

Like mdeneen mentioned, it is surprising that the science PART is not included in what people find interesting here....I think it is .

Yesterdays alchemy is today's science.....

C&S

----------------

On 11/6/2003 5:22:21 PM rigma wrote:

jazman,

Why are you so obsessed with the fact that Craig has not been doing this for long? I, on the other hand, am more impressed by the fact he has learned so much in such a short time! That speaks volumes about his ability to comprehend this stuff. Craig helped me trouble shoot a problem with my MK-III I had been working on all day in just a few min on the phone, and NO he didn't ask for anything in return. Your badgering him is getting old! Get over your jealousy of him, it makes you look so childish!

MB

----------------

rigma,

Too bad you also do not read far enough, or completely. You also should check some of Craigs former posts. It has less to do with experience, more with trying to bull**** and ramrod people under the cover of "sticking up for himself". Trust me here, there is nothing Craig has, has done, or will do, that I am obsessed with. Before you use a work like jealousy, know what it means. You are a "johnny come lately". I will exercise my right to point to his BS motives that you can't see without knowing more of his history here. And if you think I'm badgering him, you need to go back and count the times he's been more than abusive with his language in posts for no reason. Be smart. Stay out of things you don't know about.....OR do some serious homework.

Klipsch out.

jazman,

"You are a "johnny come lately"" Where did that come from?

Maybe you should read closer, I have been a member here longer than you and have read most every thing posted. Nuff said, I won't be drug into a childish argument with you.

MB

O.K. Edmond. It really is time to stop. No one really cares, and all you're doing is bringing your own motives for being here into question. I've never known anyone to hold a grudge like you -- you're relentless.

You read way too much into things. Everyone begins raving about the Eicos again, and Craig just happens to have one on the bench he's been working on, and seeing the same thing he always sees, thinks to himself, "WTF do people hear in these things?" -- So he decides to post the pretty pictures, more out of curiosity of what the responses will be than anything. What technician wouldn't be biased or influenced by seeing that, or wouldn't be curious to see what those who love the sound of these things would have to say? It's just normal human nature at work here. You act as if he decided to implement this grand design to bring the Eico kingdom down. Yeesh, he makes a living fixing this stuff -- what would be the point in chopping his own legs out from under himself?

Craig has received nothing but crap from some of you since he joined the forum. Can't spell, can't write, no experience, only here to perpetuate his business, blah, blah, blah. So yeah, after every button's been pushed and he starts exploding -- you then add "out of control", "Redneck", and whatever. It's unreal. Please freaking stop.

----------------

On 11/7/2003 1:26:47 AM DeanG wrote:

O.K. Edmond. It really is time to stop. No one really cares, and all you're doing is bringing your own motives for being here into question. I've never known anyone to hold a grudge like you -- you're relentless.

You read way too much into things. Everyone begins raving about the Eicos again, and Craig just happens to have one on the bench he's been working on, and seeing the same thing he always sees, thinks to himself, "WTF do people hear in these things?" -- So he decides to post the pretty pictures, more out of curiosity of what the responses will be than anything. What technician wouldn't be biased or influenced by seeing that, or wouldn't be curious to see what those who love the sound of these things would have to say? It's just normal human nature at work here. You act as if he decided to implement this grand design to bring the Eico kingdom down. Yeesh, he makes a living fixing this stuff -- what would be the point in chopping his own legs out from under himself?

Craig has received nothing but crap from some of you since he joined the forum. Can't spell, can't write, no experience, only here to perpetuate his business, blah, blah, blah. So yeah, after every button's been pushed and he starts exploding -- you then add "out of control", "Redneck", and whatever. It's unreal. Please freaking stop.

----------------

Whoa Dean,

You've reached a place now where I've got to call you on your statements.

If he has an Eico to repair, then repair it. He always harping about bringing things up to specs. IF he can't, then don't post photo's of something that obviously needs repair beyond his level of knowledge. DUH. That's not curiosity, it's bull****. Bring it up to specs, and then there will be something to measure and discuss. Why are you defending that?

Where were you the many times when he has gone off the deep end on me for doing nothing other than disagreeing with statements he's made that made no sense? Did you once write that he should not be calling me names? Are you saying I did something to him? Find it and publish it! It's bad enough to read his crap here in the forum, but to get email from him calling me names too. You tell him to get a grip, or you get off my back! Hold him to the same standard publicly, that you publicly accuse me of ignoring. Last, please refrain from including me in a "some of you" statement. Was anyone pushing his buttons when he went off on Kelley for not getting his favor done on time. Remember that? So I'm going to say to you, ....."whatever. It's unreal. Please freaking stop."

He's so innocent. He stirs up the ****, then you and his cadre come out to defend him.

I'm out of here. You need not bother to respond. I think I've heard it all now. I somehow thought you were more aware than that.

Klipsch out.