HF81 on the Scope 20Hz to 20Khz

NOSValves

Actually those square waves aren't bad for a fourty odd year old amp. The waves at 20Hz shows a drop off on response of the subharmonics and probably as stated above the limits of the power supply it tries but gets short of breath like us old men. From about 150 to 5k the there is a small overshoot which is harmonic distortion, not a great amount. over 10Khz the waves show the limits of the upper frequencies. It won't reproduce 100Khz. The power levels are within a DB or two except for 20Hz. There are just over 3 divisions at 800HZ the lowest is just under 3 divisions. If that is 17V to 14V what's that? 1.5db max? Still not bad for a fourty year plus old amp without adjustable feedback. I think the 800 and 1500Hz traces are the most telling about this amp. Where most of the the energy of music is concentrated it is close to perfect. My opinion.

Rick

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael,

An example of an integrated SS amp at 1kHz:

ARampsqwavetoneneutral.JPG

Same amp at 1kHz but with the bass control turned down....

ARampbassminus.JPG

Of course it is worth mentioning that except for only a few speakers square waves through your speakers will look *MUCH* worse then this. And square waves don't exist in music.

Shawn

P.S. The above amp was Acoustic Research integrated amp from somewhere around the mid 70s.

I realize that square waves don't exist in music, but thanks anyways. The pics posted show that the amplifier closely followed the waveform, and that's pretty much what I was wondering. Btw, a solid state amp driven to clipping starts to deform, and flatten off the top of the sine waves, does it not? I have never seen what that looks like on a scope.

Michael,

" Btw, a solid state amp driven to clipping starts to deform, and flatten off the top of the sine waves, does it not? I have never seen what that looks like on a scope."

Yes, picture a sine wave and basically clip off the top of it... that is basically it. Though just like everything else the actual clipping of an amp will vary depending upon its design and implementation.

Shawn

Okay some more interesting findings. I first did as Mark suggested and fiddles with the controls to get as flat as possible at 1Khz and set the output to 5 Watts at 1Khz pretty much Identical results not worth the trouble of posting. I thought Hmmm then I remembered that with the HF81 you can bypass the preamp section and drive just the power section using the Tape out jacks. Results varied here big time ! I will have a second one here later this week and will redo this testing.

20Hz

201.jpg

50Hz

50.0.jpg

100Hz

100.0.jpg

200Hz

200.0.jpg

800Hz

800.0.jpg

1.5Khz

1.50.jpg

2Khz

2.00.jpg

5Khz

5.00.jpg

10Khz

10.00.jpg

15Khz

15.00.jpg

20Khz

20.00.jpg

----------------

On 11/6/2003 12:35:31 AM DeanG wrote:

It's that great Eico output iron at work, doing what it's best at -- midrange.

----------------

Dean, if you want to judge about how an amp will sound by the quality of a square wave reproduction, you are in for a big deception. It can indicate some problems though. As an exemple, the overshooting and ringing in the midrange seen here is definitively one problem that should be fixed. But I guess Craig saw that and will assess the problem tomorrow.

----------------

On 11/6/2003 12:55:25 AM DeanG wrote:

How does one really go about fixing that sort of thing? I thought this test primarily focused on the performance of the OPT. What the hell do I know -- I'm waaay out of my league here.

----------------

The square wave test does give a pretty darn good idea of the OPT ability to reproduce square waves, yes...

Jeff,

Your absolutley correct the amp is over shooting badly and is rolled off pretty bad also. This amp has all coupling caps replaced and cathode resistors replaced. All Electrolyes replaced . Keep in mind this last test is only of the output section which narrows the option for fixing this to very few parts count ! So tell me what do you think the problem is ?

Craig

----------------

On 11/6/2003 1:02:04 AM NOSValves wrote:

So tell me what do you think the problem is ?

----------------

Didn't I recommend you a book with a nice chapter on stability networks? Remember, it was one of those books I recommended you that were only scratching the surface (as you once wrote).