HF81 on the Scope 20Hz to 20Khz

NOSValves

I was checking a HF81 on the scope this afternoon and thought it would be fun to snap some shots for all to see these are Square Waves. Maybe Mark Deneen will chime in and explain what this all means he can do a much better job then I can explaining it. What's on the scope isn't the end all but its fun all the same.

20 Hz

20Hz1.jpg

50 Hz

50Hz1.jpg

100Hz

100Hz.jpg

200Hz

200Hz.jpg

800Hz

800Hz.jpg

1.5Khz

1.5Khz.jpg

5Khz

5Khz.jpg

10Khz

10Khz.jpg

15Khz

15Khz.jpg

20Khz

20Khz.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like if I get one, I'd be dissapointed with my large collection of square wave music.

Just kidding, I do realize what a square wave will reveal through a scope. At what power level were these taken? How about input level? Interesting results.

I didn't measure the input level but it isn't large. The output level of the amp at these points is right about 3 to 4 watts.

Craig

The scope was on 5 Div and 3 lines on the scope !

15/2 = 7.5 7.5 X .707 = 5.3025 5.3025 X 5.3025 + 28.116506 / 8Ohms = 3.5145632 Watts

The factory has square wave results for ALL the EICOS. They are VERY good, from the HF-35 on down. IF you look at the manual, they are one of the companies that POST square wave comments and results for their amps as they are very good. Better yet, what was your motive to suddenly post all these square waves?

IT's pretty known that EICOs do well on the bench. IS this one before or after you worked on it?

Ryan,

This amp is flat with a sine wave to about 12 watts but a sine wave tells you very little. I noticed a small variation in the lower and upper registers doing a full power test which wasn't a big deal. A square wave tells a much better story in my opinion.

Craig

Kelly Chill out this is all in fun !!!

Ryan,

I corrected the lower 20Hz 50Hz and added 100Hz

Yes I just did a quicky so your right on the figures. I myself could careless if its tested at 1 watt many here may believe the 1 watt garbage but I do not. I use way more than one watt with my amps and I suspect most here do also they just do not realize it.

Craig

NOSValves,

I think I smell a rat here. Could your post have anything to do with a comment from another post?

"This amplifier has made me a believer in EICO, I also agree that it bests a 299 or 299B."

Why am I not surprised to see this type of post from you?

Klipsch out.

NOSV,

You're the one smelling up the place. Why did this post appear after someone commented that the Eico bested your two most hawked restoration cash cows? You've achieved a goal often sought after by many here in this forum from their systems. TRANSPARENCY!

Klipsch out.

Of course what does it matter, for as everyone here has been told a multitude of times -- no two HF-81s sound alike. You either get one that sounds like a dream, or one that sounds so mediocre you mind as well drop kick it from the porch to the curb.

Those look pretty rough, I would imagine this one you haven't worked on yet.

The pics are pretty cool. What aspect of an amp's circuit determines the square wave response results?

----------------

On 11/5/2003 6:48:18 PM mobile homeless wrote:

The factory has square wave results for ALL the EICOS. They are VERY good, from the HF-35 on down. IF you look at the manual, they are one of the companies that POST square wave comments and results for their amps as they are very good. Better yet, what was your motive to suddenly post all these square waves?

----------------

The factory doesn't have anything. They are no longer in business.

Anyway, you're in the camp of "specs are meaningless."

Plus, according to you, every single EICO amp sounds different. So what difference does it make if EICO found a 4 usec risetime when they tested a particular amp. That might not apply to the next one made, right?