Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

neo33

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That won't happen until you start with something in your system. You have to have a baseline. All the advice is great, but when you get down to it -- you HAVE to experience it. Currently, you have two great options: Erik's JFL Horus', or the Welborne DRDs. You could wait on Moondogs if you have the patience, but I can't possibly believe there would enough of a difference between them and a nice set of DRDs to warrant the aggravation of a long wait. Just my opinion.

Neo

OMG, either something is wrong with my mail server or my junk email filter program must have filtered out your messages, Kelly (I get about 100 junk emails a day). I will search my junk folder (stored for 7 days before being emptied) for your emails.

Sounds to me like your email filters were doing a fine job 2.gif

I should mention that if you DO happen to run across some Moondogs -- you should buy them. They have reached almost legendary status, which is why you don't see them for sale often. Also, they seem to be steadily climbing in value, which virtually makes them an investment piece.

lorcoll, have you heard a 2A3 amp? I wouldnt go as far as 3D by any means as I think a 2A3 amp can do are more than chamber music. Of course, it is a stereotype that is strong and adhered to like an iron fist by some but in my view, the 2A3 has some serious things going for, namely a slightly more neutral and less romantic midband. I like the 300B, but also prefer the 2A3 bottom as I actually think it's more tight and potent. In general, all things equal, the 300B has a bit more lush sound. As I said, I like both but if I had to make a choice, I would go with the 2A3.

A lot of the parameters come from the operating points of the tubes in the circuit, however. You can change the sounds a bit by changing these operating points.

Golden Tube Audio was famous for their SE-40 amp and supposedly made several decent 300B amps as well, although far more rare. What do you find that you dont like your GTA 300B that makes you think you might want the 2A3? Does your GTA 300 amps use a EL-34 as a driver too? Yours is the Stereo version?

You might be just as happy staying with the GTA. Which version of GTA 300B do you have?

kh

Hi Mobile,

I have the GTA Monoblocks with Sovtek 6SL7GT, Ruby 5AR4-C and TJ Mesh Fullmusic 300B/n.

I love the mid of GTA (incredible) but I use a passive biamp (with only a potentiometer to attenuate the bass from Conrad Johnson MV-50).

I don't know if the bass I have is the max for my Khorn and I would drive my speaker with one amp but I want the mid of GTA and the bass of MV-50.

Do you think the way is only with a good sub?

Thanks.

post-13727-13819250014196_thumb.jpg