Center channel match for Forte II

Bikeboy

Upgrading (finally) HT system, Fortes II will remain. Using KV-1 center presently (LOL).

Searching forum I see the Academy seems to be the choice for those of us without the room for another Forte etc. searching E-bay I come up with no Academy presently for sale. Would a new RC-35 or a RC-7 to the trick?

Second question: Would RS-35 surround units be a good match with Fortes? Will be using with 5.1 Music in future and dont have a lot of room for big surround speakers.

Thanks Dave

I have somewhat of the same question. I sold an

Academy and other speakers to help with my son's

medical bills. I decided to keep my Forte Is, to

the disdain of a forum member (which I am sorry for).

Since I have now acumulated enough money from the

sale of speakers, a motorcycle, and other items to

help pay for medical expenses, I am going to buy

a center speaker for my Fortes.

I know about the Academy, KLF-C-7, and KV-4, and that to most that have auditioned both the KV-3

works better with the Fortes than the KV-4.

What I want to know is wether anyone has used a

KSF-C5 or KSP-C6 for a center with Fortes and

espically wether they have compared them to the

KV-3. Also, I would like to hear from people who

have used both an older center and a newer center

like the RC-3(II). Which is better match with

Fortes?

I know (from experience) that the Academy is best.

I just want opinions about the KV-3, KSP-C6, KSF-C5 and

the RC-3 or RC-3II. Which works best since ALL of these

go for less than the Academy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave

Welcome to the Forum. I was over at Boomac a few months back and he is trying to do the same. He purchased a RC-3 something that was recomended by a local dealer and very unhappy and returned it.

I have found that using the same speaker for all 3 front channels will give you the best sound. For the price of a singe academy on Ebay you could buy a pair of Fortes, Heresys or Quartets. All would sound great in between Fortes. You could use the extra one for a rear center in a 6.1 setup.

If you have to use a traditional "center" speaker, the newer RC-7 would be an OK compromise.

JM

Search the forum for past comments on the Klipsch KT-LCR. A few members have used them for centers with various speakers with decent results. I personally haven't tried them with other Klipsch, although I did just recently buy 4 of the KT-LCR's in walnut. They are roughly the size of a KLF-C7.

Keith

OK it's a start, how does the KLF-C7 match up with Forte II.

I did some searching it seems it may not be as good as a Academy but would the KLF-C7 be better than the new rc-7 center? Any thoughts ?

Saw a KLF-C7 just listed on e-bay.

Thanks Dave

I am running Forte II's with a KLF-C7.

no, it does not match when performing the pink noise test when adjusting the speaker levels.

but in real use. I cannot complain. the C7 can hold its own.

my center is on a low home made stand right in front of my RPTV.

I use different rears depending on the material. Heresy's from '78 for music and KSP-S6's for movies.

I tried one of my Heresy's for the center but I had to place it to far from the RPTV so it would not interfere. it must have a strong magnet on it.

I did not like the sound. probably because I am used to the C7.

Using a RC-7 with Chorus II's. Has better highs than the Chorus's. Has the same basic Klipsch sound. Really don't understand all this flopping around, trying to get a "perfect" matched speaker from the same era. Go to your favorite Klipsch dealer,work your best deal,go home,plug in,BE HAPPY.

----------------

On 11/16/2003 8:07:00 AM tgw323 wrote:

Using a RC-7 with Chorus II's. Has better highs than the Chorus's. Has the same basic Klipsch sound..

----------------

tgw

Yes it's what I may do, listened to a RC-3 II on my sys. this weekend not bad at all, much better than KV-1. That's why I thinking the RC-7 would be very good. If I could find an Academy or KLF-C7 I'd buy it.

If worst comes to worst and I don't think the RC-7 sounds right, I'll find an academy and use the RC-7 for rear center when I go that route

Bikeboy9.gif

My HT speaker system currently consists of the following:

Front L an R: FORTE II (oiled oak)

Center: Academy (oiled Walnut)

Surround L and R: KG 1 (oiled oak)

Sub: SVS PB1 ISD

This collection of speakers really sounds great. The Academy does sonically match my FORTE-II's.

I just recently purchased the Academy from this site. Before purchasing the Academy, I was running an RC3-II in the center slot. I really had no complaints whatsoever using this center channel with the FORTE-II's. IF anything it sounded slight "brighter". I bi-wired the RC3-II center channel and calibrated the best I could using the Avia disk. I pursued the Academy mostly out of curiosity. So, after using the RC3-II, I feel that it is reasonable to use with the FORTE-IIs. There are many, many postings in this forum on this topic. The hardcore autiophile will still tell you that "anything that aint perfetcly timbre matched and worth a plug nickel." Frankly, the imperfections in my own two ears tends to ease the matching rigor.

Another thought I had about all is the use of another brand of center channel, any its ability to blend with a vintage KLIPSCH. Perhaps the trade space would open significantly, and perhaps when looking at other brands, theres the potential of a "best kept secret" out there. I always wondered about this. Maybe the absence of a horn in other brands would make this impossible, but who knows...

Guest Anonymous

Guy's,

I have not tried all the the center speakers, but I have tried the RC-7, AND DEFINATLY THINK THAT HERESY as as center is the way to go with heritage, especially dur to the cost of the academy!!!!

Smilin2.gif

So far I've used an RC3II, a heresy, and an academy with my cornwalls. I think the academy is the best match for movies and the heresy for music. The RC3II did a decent job with movies. It still beats a lot of HTs out there. My guess is an RC-7 would be a good enough match if you can't find an academy. There are some movies that will show the flaw in timber but for the most part, I think you'll be pleased.

If you buy one from a dealer, you can always return it if you think it's a bad match.

I lucked out and found a KLF-C7 locally in like-new condition for $400. Just happen to call the local Tweeter to see if they had anything left in Klipsch center channels and one of the salesmen was selling his KLF-C7!

It's a nice match for the Forte II, I'm sure the Academy would be a better match but I'm happy with the improvement and now it's time to mess with the rear surrounds. Thanks everybody for all the input. I've also learned a lot by reading the old posts on the many combos and matches of Klipsch front and center channel speakers.

Bikeboy