FS: Khorns and CWs in DC/Baltimore area

JBryan

There's an ad in today's Sun for a pr. of Khorns. I called out of curiosity and the fellow (Mitch) gave me the following info:

Model - KCBR

Serial # - 418, 419 (?)

Xover - Type AA

He says that there are no blemishes, dings, dents and he hasn't used them in years. They have been finished in "pecan" to match his teak furniture. He's moving and wants to sell them rather than haul them away. He has an idea of what they're worth but is looking for offers. He's located in Calvert Co. about an hour away from DC and Baltimore and his phone# is 301.855.7131. Here's the ad...

"SPEAKERS corner Klipschorns, exc. cond., MAKE AN OFFER."

Also, there's another ad for CWs...

"SPEAKERS, KLIPSCH CORNWALLS, unfinished birch cabinet, exc. cond., $900/pair 410.761.6966"

AND... "STEREO 901 BOSE SPKRS;..." $500 and he'll throw in a Yamaha amp, cass deck and CD player - WOW! 2.gif

Have fun -Bryan

I've been to Gary's place and the Khorns would look nice in his room but he'll never get rid of those zebrawood CWs. Besides, his basement is already looking like an audio storeroom with Heresy's, MAC gear and those Altecs, etc. so any additional gear would certainly be a strain on storage - not to mention his relations with the wife! 10.gif

Have Fun -Bryan

Gary,

Have you ever seen Khorns in Zebrawood? Those are raw birch. It wouldn't be hard to do. I hear that there is someone on ebay that wants a pair of Altecs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2573253058&category=11810

What do you think about that. You will need a little bit more than that but it is avaliable. It would make a nice winter project. Offer the guy a grand or one and a half and see what happens. There is nothing in this world to compare to a set of Klipschorns with a cornwall center on good tubes.

Rick

My heresys will be redone in zebrawood this winter but I have no place for khorns unfortunately. I would love a pair someday but it won't be anytime soon.

I will check out the altec seeker though. I'm afraid mine aren't going to fetch a worthwhile price until I swap the woofers. My friend hasn't had time to search his basement yet but assures me he's got what I need. I just have to be patient.

I've been looking hard at my stash of speaks, amps, etc. I am about to call it quits on buyin' and start fitting some of this stuff together into semi-permanent listening systems. The Khorns and Cwalls (is it okay to call them that?) need a time warp to two years out when I will have room for them.

Gary, if you could spare a closet, the Khorns sound mighty tasty. I have a pair of Allison Ones stacked in the shop (basement) so I know how you feel.

Once I get rid of Greg's Belle, I may be able to spare some room for the khorns.9.gif If you want me to hold them for you for a couple months I won't even charge you rent. 2.gif They'd fit perfectly where the altecs currently are if I take off the knobs of the built-in cabinets they already block.

GaryMD:

Are you still sans power? Talked to my father in Baltimore (near BWI, actually, in AA county) and it didn't sound like outages were too bad from the wind last week, except in AA county. Is that where you are?

Just curious... I grew up there (a long time ago).

Actually, I am in DC late this week, but I am flying in and don't think a pair of K-horns would fit in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of me...

----------------

On 11/17/2003 1:25:58 PM Mark Hardy wrote:

GaryMD:

Are you still sans power? Talked to my father in Baltimore (near BWI, actually, in AA county) and it didn't sound like outages were too bad from the wind last week, except in AA county. Is that where you are?

Just curious... I grew up there (a long time ago).

Actually, I am in DC late this week, but I am flying in and don't think a pair of K-horns would fit in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of me...

----------------

We got power back late Sat. Almost 3 days. I live in Ellicott City BTW. Just lucky I guess.

Bill,

I bought a Sony SCD-C555ES SACD player this morning. I haven't had time to fully evaluate but initial findings are good plus the price was good. I'll be posting more later on.

I think I did mine along with the subwoofer with 59Sq ft. However if I had messed up a panel I was screwed. I would recommend 80sq ft or more of raw veneer in matched pages to be sure and allow for error and putting the best figuring on the fronts. I just got some more black walnut for the Heresys but it is not as nice. Too bad I did not have my own advice when I bought the first lot as he had another lot of the same material I could have bought back then.

Rick

post-12829-13819250145392_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Rick. I may give veneering a shot early next year. My 1976 Klipschorns were originally unfinished, then stained walnut by the original owner. It is a good stain job but I'd like a fancier look.

Any tips on veneering? I have read lots of archive posts but would still welcome any tips from your personal experience.