Most original movie concepts?

minn_male42

This is a hard one. But did anyone watch vanilla sky that was a trip for originallity. Clerks by Kevin Smith was awesome. Ed Wood another great movie. Fear and loathing in las vegas. The big lebowski, u turn, apocolype now,Pink Floyd the wall,damn near every Johny Depp movie. The sixth sense, frailty, wizard of ozz, evil dead, star wars, memento, the shining, mad max, cheech and chong, close encounters of the third kind, back to the future,psycho, the birds, edward sizzorhands, pulp fiction, caddyshack, spinaltap, the postman, waterworld, matrix, some old movie i seen when i was a kid where everybody was either dead or dying from rabbies. The animals where spreading it man that was creepy back then. Rosemary's baby, mel brooks movies, men in tights, something about mary, stand by me, spy game, blood work, poltergiest, total recall, terminater, last action hero, the exorcist, gum ball rally, what's eating gilbert grape, Bennie and Joone, the usual suspects, planet of the apes, the godfather, alive, stir crazy, airplane, leaving las vegas, taxi driver, raiders of the lost arc, toy story, fantasia, i'm gonna get you sucka, scary movie, my mom is a serial killer. That's just to name a few i could go on and on but i would say vanilla sky is up there.

Matrix took a SH*T LOAD of ideas from japanese animes. I know that cuz i have over 20 different full collection of different anime series. However, i do give them props and also give them mad respect for admitting that they did took things from anime cartoons in their interview on the DVD.

Since the majority of the US havent really seen a movie with such a crazed up storyline, it became really original. The special effects were also spectacular.

13th floor.........hmmmm, got to see that.

Alright, now for my favorite original movie......A Beautiful Mind & Vanilla Sky(which was a remake of *whatever its called, but it also got penelope cruz*

oh yeah, dont forget Scarface, not original in today's time, but during its time, it was great, and still great now.

12 Monkeys, and Unbreakable, 2 of my all time favorite movies. I think Minority Report was pretty original also. I think maybe the most original concept in movie making was to take a trilogy like LOTR and film all three movies together over a couple year period. I think you will see a lot more of that.

The 1930s version of All Quiet on the Western Front was probably the first anti-war movie. Pretty disturbing even 70 years later.

While I can't swear to it, Dr. No kind of ushered in the racey, action-thriller genre. Nothing substantial before it comes to mind.

Saving Private Ryan for really putting THX sound to full effect. The action scenes in that movie made me cringe and duck, and most of the effect was from the sound.

The Last Temptation of Christ for trying to convey the man and the message of Jesus unlike any before or since. Very compelling movie, and the charachter of Judas will really make you think.

The Ring was a very cool concept, but I just didn't feel like they ended it well, too much left unexplored and unexplained.

South Park, Bigger, Longer, Uncut. Possibly the most outrageous movie I've ever seen. The Devil as Saddam's *****, some decent political commentary and some truly excellent songs. About as off the wall as Pink Flamingos, but the fact that it was nominated for an Oscar, and was a huge hit puts it in a category by itself.

After thinking about this for a while I'll have to add Shadow Of The Vampire to this list. The concept is pure genius...the results were pretty good but not great. Everyone knows the original movie Nosferatu correct? The concept of SOTV is the actual making of the original film(mostly fictitious) and that Max Schreck(actor playing the vampire) is ACTUALLY a vampire. He "acts up" during shooting of the movie to say the least. Of course none of this was ever true and I wonder what Max would think about this. Willem Dafoe is superb as the rat-like vamp and Malkovich is also great as the perfectionist director Murnau. If you're into "movie-making" movies ala 8 1/2 or Ed Wood I think you 'd dig this.

Willem DaFoe is truly a great actor. I'll watch just about anything with him in it. AH! Another guilty pleasue movie (actually just a really good movie), To Live and Die In LA with him and William Petersen. Another cool Petersen movie is Manhunter, the original, and FAR better version of Red Dragon.