1977 pair Belle Klipsch for sale

triceratops

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The figuring in the walnut grain is really pretty on the tops of these speakers. I've got lots more photos--if anyone is interested I can email them. I photographed these outside for better lighting. Most blemishes are small and on the edge veneer. The cabinets could be made perfect if someone was so inclined, but are quite presentable as they are. The electrics are bone stock and everything works beautifully. Non forum members can email me at pieboy@att.net

belletops.JPG

Hello,

I am in Spokane and have been looking for a pair of Belles because I would like to get out of the corners, you know wife and decorating. I have been a long time K-horn owner. Do you have any idea of the mileage from Spokane? I saw Jimmy Cliff and the Greatful Dead many years ago in Eugene. I travelled from Seattle then. Now I enjoy Opera and such and realy like the Klipsch sound with tubes. I an not a low bass freak or anything as long as the speakers sound balanced. Do the Belles perform anywhere near the K-horns?

Thanks Mike

Well, the Belles and the LaScalas, IMO, are the closest things to KHorns available. The horn-loaded woofer is the key to the deal. However, I don't think much of anything is going to match up well to your KHorns without going into some serious spending. Being a long time owner means your ears are attuned to the sound of the Khorn, I predict that anything reasonable you put in place of them is going to sound a little lacking. But, human auditory memory being what it is, in a few weeks your ears will get accustomed to the new speaks and things will be OK. Those Belles are pretty nice looking pieces, IMO. If I had any money they would be mine already. They're in driving distance too, an important consideration in view of the cost of shipping and the chances of the speakers being damaged in transit. Considering your location, I think it might be a long time before you get another chance to fix the the WAF deal so conveniently and with so little loss to your sound quality. JUST IMHO, YMMV, others may differ, all that. You might even be able to work a deal to sell the KHorns somehow.

Ditto what Tom said.

The midrange horn of the Belle is much smaller than the Khorn or the La Scala, and I think that will primarily be the difference for someone not into a lot of bass. The bass horn of the Khorns is quite different sounding than the Belle. But then again, just about everything is quite different than a Khorn!

Greg

Mike,

I have some newer Khorns and older walnut Belles within three feet of each other. They both sound incredible. The Khorns cannot be touched by any speakers under 20K in my book. The Belles have a slightly smaller soundstage, but if you do the majority of your listening parked in a chair, it is not that important. The Belles have a more pronounced directional, in your face base then the omnidirectional Khorns. It will be a large, but not unpleasant, change if you do switch.

The walnut Belles visually are stunning, and Ttop's are fine examples. You would be looking at a solid day's work for a round trip, but there are some wonderful restaurants along the way. Just take it easy going through Snowqualmine Pass. Your wife would love the Belles' visual appearance2.gif

mapquest claims it's 460 miles one way, about 7.5 hours. I recently drove 830 miles one way to pick up my KHorns. Took about 12 hours one way. This wouldn't be too bad really, but a little much for one day. Drive down one day, stay overnight, drive back the next. Piece of cake for a man of your caliber. :)

I sure wish I had money to buy those.

Tozco, what kind of KHorns do you have? Can you post the serial numbers?

Mike-

Thanks for your interest. If you are thinking about making the drive to Eugene, that would be great. It's always better to pick stuff up than entrust it to the freighters. I sometimes work in Portland, and could possibly meet you part way. Hermiston, Oregon is about three hours from Portland and about three hours from Spokane if Mapquest is right. That would seem to be a fairly reasonable drive for both of us. Do you have a rig that is big enough to carry the Belles safely? Of course if you made the drive to Eugene it would be easier for me, but let me know what you think. You can Email me at pieboy@att.net or we could talk live on the phone.

Best,

triceratops

Paulparrot-

Ohio would be a little tough. I get back to Pennsylvania (Philly area) periodically for my job, but I always fly because of time constraints. Shipping is a possibility and Forward Air wouldn't be too expensive, but the Belles would need to be crated. Maybe Audible Nectar could loan us m00n's old Belle crate if he has it?

Best,

triceratops

Also thankx to Tom and Sheltie Dave for their comments...

Still thinking here. My gut is that I would love the Belles and they realy fit the bill for my wife. I am not planning to let the 1984 Khorns go as they are mint oiled oak with metal horns and I've upgraded the xo's to AK-3. I will build my own damn room for them in the future if I have to. But for now some Belles in the family room makes the most sense. Still thinking, still thinking,

Mike

Sold!!

paulparrot and I have reached an agreement on the 1977 Belles. No, I'm not driving to Ohio--I didn't want to compete with Tom's road trip record! The Belles will be crated in a package similar to the Belle crate that m00n used and shipped to Ohio by Forward Air.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread on the Forum for your help and encouragement in finding a new home for the Belles. It's hard to give them up, but I've got to generate some money to help finance the 1960 Khorns I bought last year. I am glad the Belles are going to an enthusiastic Forum member. Now I really need to get going on remodeling the garage into a room for the Klipschorns (no usable corners in the living room)!

Best in horns,

triceratops

And I am excited. Triceratops's walnut Belles will join two walnut Khorns and a single center walnut Belle in my multi channel SACD setup. My Heresies, which are currently serving surround duty, will be off to my brother's. It'll be thrilling to have the Khorns and Belles doing their stuff. First disc I have planned to play (in a couple weeks from now) is the new SACD of Anton Bruckner (1824-1896), Sym. No. 9, conducted by Nikolaus Harnoncourt with the Vienna Philharmonic.

bruckner.jpg