Crossover for Cornwall I

Istari

----------------

On 11/22/2003 10:09:42 PM The Hobbit wrote:

Which is the best crossover for the Cornwall I?

Will be able to pick up a pair locally (CWO) and wanted to know what to look for.

Is $750 a good price for an early 80's pair in very good shape?

Had to turn down an EICO 81 for these....
----------------

So that's the reason...

Jeff

Hobbit,

You do understand why Dean is a little upset don't you?

He stepped aside so you could make the purchase because you said "I have cash in hand and want to buy your Eico".

I needed the money right away for an audio purchase (fell through because of the lack of sale at the time) and Dean couldn't get me the $$ as soon as needed so I turned to you.

Also,I had to hunt you down with various e-mails and pms that you didn't respond to and then I read this thread.

Jeff

You could replace the existing inductor with a 12 awg solid wire, 2.4 mHy from Solen and upgrade the caps, Hovland or the like, 2.0 uF and 4.0 uF. This is a good combination to make the Cornwalls sound very good. You also might like to look into rope caulking part or all of the squawker (midrange). This is a popular choice to take the squawker down a bit.

Good luck.

Don

----------------

On 11/23/2003 10:54:09 AM JCturboT wrote:

----------------

On 11/22/2003 10:09:42 PM The Hobbit wrote:

Which is the best crossover for the Cornwall I?

Will be able to pick up a pair locally (CWO) and wanted to know what to look for.

Is $750 a good price for an early 80's pair in very good shape?

Had to turn down an EICO 81 for these....----------------

So that's the reason...

Jeff

----------------

Jeff, You don't still have the 81 by any chance do you?

Yep,

It will make the Heresy's sound sweet. I've got one in the process of being spiffed up. Those little rascals sound amazing. It is a subjective judgement of course, but I prefer the sound of the 81 to the 299's. Not being a tech type I don't quite comprehend the electronics that yield the sweet sound, but Kelly says the 81 has a triode front end. (I think that's what he said, anyway.)

Happy Thanksgiving.

Dee

Dee,

I have been away from 2 channel audio for about 13 years now and am just getting interested again. As I mentioned, I will be using the EICO with a set of Heresy's that I am almost finished rebuilding. New cabinets, networks(ALK designed type "E" replacements that I built), wiring, etc.. Alot of work and expense for the Heresy's I know, but I do not have room for anything larger. So, I am going to milk every last sonic drop out of the little guys and the EICO will help me achieve that.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Jordan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

tillmbil

Here is the source for the Solen solid wire inductor (standard). I used 12 gauge inductors, although you could go with 14 awg, which is a little cheaper, $16.64 US

Solen

4470 Thibault Ave.

St-Hubert, QC J3Y 7T9

Canada

Tel.: 450-656-2759

fax: 450-443-4949

Email: solen@solen.ca

Part #:S122.4 2.4 mH Size: 25x51x102 $27.46 US

I'm sure there are also US sites which offer the same parts and saves on duty at US customs. We have the same problem getting stuff from the US. The government has to get it's cut.