• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 12/2/2003 4:58:00 PM paulparrot wrote:

A guy named Dalton over at AA had a post this morning that I found funny and true. An excerpt:

***We're engaged in a "hobby" where practically no one agrees on anything, and each hobbist's system sounds better than everything up to 10 times the cost that some other "idiot" threw together. This is a hobby in which someone will tell you that their $200 turntable sounds better than his friend's $10,000 compact disc player, a hobby in which people can hear the "startling" difference between a normal compact disc and one that's been kept in a freezer overnight or rubbed with aluminum foil, a hobby in which someone can build speaker cable out of telephone wire from Home Depot that either outperforms $9000 Nordost Valhallas or sucks compared to a $29 spool of Monster Cable from Best Buy depending on who you talk to. A hobby in which a 2-watt SET amp driving horn speakers sounds more "dynamic", "realistic" and "natural" to one person, but not to the owner of a 400W solid state amp driving electrostatic speakers, who thinks the former is crazy and needs to have his hearing checked.***

----------------

Dalton's got it figured out.

woo

Kelly,

If you call my posts personal attacks your are one baby if I ever seen one! I never called you anything in the above post or last night you were the one name calling! I just brought up absolute valid and weak points that you constantly mix into your posts. Your Opinion is not anymore or less tilted to SET then I am to Push Pull or other high output tube offerings! The difference here is you have to be backed into the corner to admit the weakness of your favorite topology. Your biggest problem is anyone that doesn't treat your post like they are the final word is attacking you personally.

When you start bringing up stereophile I almost find it laughable! You very much remind me of a reviewer in your posts with a very skewed or biased opinion. I mean how many components have you run around here recommending that you have never personally auditioned? You can point out my Posting weaknesses all you want but you have many of your own my friend (well maybe I should say ex friend).

Craig

There is nothing wrong with trying to convey qualities of equipment by using words. But there are a lot of problems with poetic excess, overly flowery language, and exaggeration. And since certain words are overused in audio reviews they've become cliches, and to avoid them people try to come up with new ways to say the same thing, and that is tough to do without sounding like a nut. And when something is praised to the heavens, and then you hear something better, how do you keep on coming up with even more praiseful adjectives? "This is really really really really superb."

And there's no law against writing that something mediocre sounds fantastic, and so people eventually tend to get suspicious. I am pretty sure one can find a highly flattering review somewhere on the internet of any piece of equipment ever made, all with the standard hyperbole.

We're left with personal experience or, barring that, knowing the reviewer's taste and determining if it sounds like he might have similar enough opinions to yours that you can use him as a guide.

I cannot claim these as my quotes, though I feel they are appropriate.

"The more components sound alike, the more inventive people become about describing the differences they think they hear."

"No speakers (or amps, preamps, tuners, etc.) are perfect. You decide on one that has qualities you like and learn to live with the rest... like women...or men."

One I will lay claim to...

"I really like the way that sounds"

Isn't that all we're really looking for anyway, is something that sounds good to ourselves? You may love your wife with all your being, or think that your Ford is the best car ever made, but does that mean I want to marry her/drive it too? If it were as simple as "X" brand component were the "Best" sounding, why would there be any other company than Brand "X"? Thank God we all have different tastes, there are some women that I don't know WHAT their husband was smoking, but hey, if he's happy, more power to him. It would be just plain old silly to try and argue with him regarding his choice.

Isn't it the same with audio? And yes, people can, and do change their opinions over time. Hence the term divorce. Or waffling between PP and SET. Or debating which speakers to buy. I don't think there is one "right" answer, just the best option for the person that is listening to his own equipment, in his own listening room, with his own particular musical taste, with his own budget. How can there be an arguement over what is right or wrong, good or bad, when it's ALL good to someone?

p.s. Do you really think, in an A/B blind test, you could tell what type of caps an amp had in it, without measuring anything? There may be those of you that can, but if so, you're on a whole different plane than most people. IMHO.

edit: BTY. on the actual topic of this thread... Great looking home Paul, great looking setup. Bet you guys had a blast. I found a radio station producer that we advertise with that might have a line on someone local with a tube setup and LeScalas, I might finally be able to hear a tube setup in it's natural enviornment!

Nick knew how vibrant and glorious push-pull could be.. then recalled with a smile that low-powered SETs are not and were never intended to be dynamic full-range devices. Instead, the significant benefit of single-ended technology has always been the preservation of the whole audio signal. Push-pull technology in contrast demanded that another signal be created in a perfect mirror image to that of the original signal waveform, with use of a phase splitter. This in itself always seemed to be a very tall order, and in some way explained why a simpler approach with single-ended triode could offer a more intense musical connection, to be this close to the artist is magical, but the speed of bass transients to the obvious lucidity in the mid-range, and treble quality that was as clean as it was extended made it so.. Less can be more!

She stared blankly, as if in a vacuum, unknowing, perhaps undeserving. Beauty in silence hung between them while Jackie McLean's passionate sax filled the room with Capuchin Swing.

She gazed at Nick and drew deeply on the cigarette. The rain beat a stattaco rat-a-tat on the window.

The silence stretched. "Danger is what I like," she said, stubbing the cigarette out. Rising from the chair, she walked in the bedroom, hanging her silk nightgown on the door hook.

Nick followed,loosening his tie as he crossed the threshold. He knew this would lead him to a single end, no matter his power.

Looking up, she gasped at his manly stature. The words rang out in her smokey contralto, "Sometimes, less is more, honey. But, in this case, I need more. Please call in Craig."9.gif9.gif9.gif

JE Labs (I can appreciate the opinion of a musician AND hobbyist)

Frankly, I am impressed by those who know for what they are listening. I want to hear what they want to hear. Afterall, they should know what instruments and compositions should sound like. The guys in accounting just want your money.

Anyway, enjoy the wealth of info on the site. I certainly have.

Through a fog Nick watched the glow of the vaccum tubes across the room. It was a quiet night. Jim Hall and Carl Perkins were trading fours and Nick stretched out on the couch getting comfortable. Somewhere a dog barked. Nick sat up and wondered if the dog needed anything. And then the dog was in his lap and Nick lay down again. Nick was sleepy. He felt sleep coming. Then the stylus entered the dead wax and he was awake. The long journey across the room seemed impossible but he knew he had no choice.

Dave,

You are freaking me out now !!

Just where is this stuff coming from ?? Do we have some romance Novelist in disguise around here 2.gif

Oh trust me I'm over 40 my manhood is strinking in size and lasting ability ! The only thing growing on me is my gut !

Craig--your homework assignment is to read "Big Two Hearted River: Part I" and "Big Two Hearted River: Part II" by the end of the week. Not much reading, really--about 40 or so pages in all. This is Papa's first great work of fiction and the best of the Nick Admas stories--truly one of the great pieces of 20th C. American short fiction. You will be a better man for having read it. It's probably somewhere on line--do a Google search and add the words "Ernest Hemingway." You'll thank me.

I just found it somwhere in Russia (or some other "former Soviet Rupublic"---I dunno---isn't the internet great?)

Here you go:

http://lib.ru/INPROZ/HEMINGUEJ/bigriverengl.txt